Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-08-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
Let's hear your picks!! I've got Jones getting the KO IMO I think Radhad thinks in his head Jones can beat him. I think Rashad watches Jones evolve and get better while they were in camp together and in his head he knows Jones is the better man.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
A lot of people on here will think I am crazy but I don't think anyone can beat jones, and I mean anybody. I think he crushes silva. I think jones will even beat dos Santos. Although that is a fight that I hope we do see one day. And for all people that say jones is to small. He has already asked to move up to heavy weight. If he beats Evans and Henderson, which he will. Maybe I will be shocked in two weeks but I don't see jones losing for a long time.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-08-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
Jones hands down is pretty much unbeatable short of a freak accident or him fighting hurt one day but unfortunately it'll happen one day which is the down fall to full contact fighting. Number one fight I wanna see tho is Anderson and jones go toe to toe
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-09-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
X2 ^^
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-09-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
I hate to think that someone has the invincibility that Jones has but after watching him tear through the weight class it is hard to think that someone, particularly Rashad who hasn't looked great lately, will beat him. Everyone has a punchers chance but this guy is low ego, self-aware, fights to his strengths and doesn't appear to underestimate his opponents. I love having this guy as champ because he is truly that - a champion - and acts like one. There will always be someone better than you....I can't wait to see who is better than Jones.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-09-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
I just can't see how Jones loses this....Rashad has so many things stacked against him (knee issues, recent camp change, recent divorce, ring rust,etc, etc) that it just seems impossible for him to win.

Which is why I'm having such a hard time picking a winnner here. Everything says that Jones will beat Evans handily, but it's MMA...anything can happen and usually does.

Dare I say...Evans by decision?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-09-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
I think there is too much bad blood between these two to end up in a decision.....but wth do I know...lol
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-11-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
I have never liked Rashad and i am not a big Jones fan either. I just hope it's a good fight. Machida showed that Jones is not invincible, he tagged Jones a couple times and kept him off balance. Jones lost the first round against Machida and then Machida got tagged in the second and choked out lights out BAM. We have never seen anything like Jones in the ring before he truly is a phenom but he's not unbeatable, nobody is. MMA is evolving and even guys like Mat hughes and BJ Penn are slowly moving to the side to make room for these new guys coming up who have all trained MMA from 5 years old and not just one dicipline then start MMA. Someone will rise out of the ashes and contest jones but for now he is the King of light heavies. Not sure he would dominate at heavy weight especially against guys like Overeem and Cane. Jones won't be throwing those guys down nor will he be chocking them out.

Rashad has a chance but a slim one. i am anxious to see if Rashad can get Jones down, Rashad is an excellent wrestler and super quick. I would like to see Jones finally really get popped, Machiuda hit him at the end up his punches and never really connected with anything on it. Just bring on a good fight man.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-15-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
I don't know much about UFC, but this vid gets pretty good right around 4:10

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-15-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
Yup...it sure did get interesting around 4:10
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Not at all what I was expecting lol
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-17-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Really getting excited for this fight. I still think Jones is going to come out and crush Evans. But a lot of people are giving Evans a shot. I just don't see it. I think this one will be done by round 3.
I am also really excited to see Rory Mcdonald fight again. He dominates. The only fight that he lost was to Carlos Condit and his was killing Condit until the last 40 seconds of that fight.
I wish the bar was going to be in place for this one but I will have to settle for a couple beers.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-18-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
What happened the last time everyone doubted Evans?

Oh yeah, he ended Chuck Liddells career as we knew it.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-19-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendo247 View Post
What happened the last time everyone doubted Evans?

Oh yeah, he ended Chuck Liddells career as we knew it.
Good thing Jones aint Liddell.

Jones by anything he wants. Anyone like to have a friendly (or non-friendly) wager on it - name the terms.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
I agree with Jeff on this one. I think Jones is less Liddell and more Machita. I don't mean that by size or style. I just me that Machita knocked Evan the f out, and that is what is going to happn on Saturday.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-19-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
I never said Evans was gonna win.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
Sticking with my gut...Evans walks out champ.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-23-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
What's everyones thoughts on the fight? To me rashad didn't know how to handle the distance which is weird because he dominated the Davis fight. Jones is going to have a tough time finding a worthy opponent in light heavyweight IMO. Surprised to see it go the distance as well!...also, as good of a wrestler as rashad is how come he had just a couple takedown attempts? If any at all?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
I was hoping for a finish. But it is pretty obvious that Jones is in another league. It reminded me a little of a GSP fight where you know he is going to win but it is not the most exciting or pretty thing to watch. I still don't see Jones losing to any light heavy any time soon. I am Dan Henderson fan, but good luck dude!

The three stars of the night for me were Browne, and Mcdonald boys. Browne looked great. I really want to see him fight some better competetion. He has had problems gassing in the past, but when you crush a guy in the first few minutes you don't have to worry about that.

Michael Mcdonald- For a little guy this guy has some hands. In his last fight I saw him knock someone out in about 30 seconds. This one lasted a little longer, but his competition was much better in Miguel Torres (although it is obvious Torres has lost his way). Still Mcdonald's knock out was vicious.

Rory Mcdonald- I got a man crush on this guy. I think he is going to be the next big thing (besides Jones). He is super technical. He does not make any mistakes. Once he gets you to the ground he transitioned from side control to full mount, to taking the back effortlessly. It was pretty awsome to watch. I have seen so many fights where the fighter will have the mount and lose it. I don't see that happening with Rory, and his ground and pound is solid. I want to see him fight a top contender. His only loss was to Condit and he was about 7 seconds away from winning that fight. He is only 22, bright future ahead.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-23-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
First of all Rory MacDonald is a beast.

I thought Rashad fought the right fight. With a 7-9" reach advantage that is very difficult to overcome and I thought he did a pretty good job getting in and not getting hurt while doing a little damage. I would have liked to see some more head/leg kicks by Rashad because that was about the only thing that seemed to hurt Jones.

As it relates to takedowns - I think Rashad knew something that we didn't about Jones' ground game. I am sure he is no slouch but I think Jones is better on the ground than we have seen in his fights so far and Rashad knows it. He made a couple feeble attempts to get him down but I think he was just keeping Jones honest with those attempts. The fact that Jones pulled guard at the end convinced me that he is legit down there and Rashad knows it. Not to mention those elbows are deadly even from his back.

It was nice to see that Jones is human. That fight could have gone either way in my opinion. I clearly believe that Jones won each round but it wasn't as convincing as many believed it would be. I would like to see them fight again down the road. Jones has to figure out what he does next because fighting Dan Henderson is a waste of time. He shouldn't waste his time with that fight and figure out what to do next now that he has cleaned out the class.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-23-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
The fight could have gone either way? What fight were you watching? Evans had NOTHING for Jones. Nothing. Jones played it safe because he really wanted the win and it was important to him to beat Evans. As simple as that. It was a very GSP fight, as was mentioned above. Jones has won the majority of his fights by submission, so I very much doubt Evans wanted any piece of him on the ground. BTW.. Jones has a 9.5 inch reach advantage over Evans and from what I understand, it will be even more against Henderson.

Rory McDonald is amazing. No wonder people compare him to GSP (who was in his corner). I'd really like to see him fight another top tier fighter at 170. Ellenberger, Kos, Fitch?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Jones pulled his foot off the gas out of respect for his former friend.. He could have finished a few times and didn't.. Was easy to spot for the trained eye..

Jones vs. Hendo is laughable. I love me some Hollywood - but he has absolutely NOTHING for Jones. He might match up with Jones worse than anyone yet to date..

Gustaffson will be exposed as one dimensional and untested when he fights Jones. Jones next test will come as he hits the top 5-8 of the Heavyweight division. No one on the 205 radars is even in the ballpark, much less worth much discussion.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-23-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
I totally disagree that Evans had nothing for Jones. That fight went 25 minutes. He certainly had something for Jones. I don't believe he could have finished it at will and even IF that was the case it shows he has weakness. IMO he didn't finish the fight out of fear (of losing or getting knocked the F out) versus out of respect.

McDondald is diverse like GSP but has a killer instinct and knows how to finish. I hope he can keep it up with the better fighters in that weight class.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
I totally disagree that Evans had nothing for Jones. That fight went 25 minutes. He certainly had something for Jones. I don't believe he could have finished it at will and even IF that was the case it shows he has weakness. IMO he didn't finish the fight out of fear (of losing or getting knocked the F out) versus out of respect.

McDondald is diverse like GSP but has a killer instinct and knows how to finish. I hope he can keep it up with the better fighters in that weight class.
50-45 says he had nothing for him.

Shogun vs. Hendo - both had something for each other.

You may be right about being scared to get Liddell'd.. The guy fights to finish though - no fear against Shogun, Machida, Rampage, etc. He's gonna do Hendo ugly.

BOTH McDonalds looked awesome Saturday - both promising young talents. Rory is the future.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-23-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Seems like as these fighters become more commercial (well known, sponsored, high visibility, etc.) they lose their ability to finish fights. This is such a business now that it promotes safety over aggression once you reach the top. People would rather win ugly than risking a surprise KO - if you compare Rory's finish to Jon Jones - young guy with nothing to lose and a young guy with everything to lose in Jones. Just interesting to be how "the business" causes the fighters to pause and re-think their natural killer instincts.

I love GSP but after Serra took his belt - he fights scared. Not that he shouldn't but that fight really derailed him. Not that he was a amazing finisher to begin with but he knows that with one punch all of the glory can go away.

Am I way off base here?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
Phatboy,
I will say you are comparing apples and oranges a little bit. I love Rory and think he is going to be the man. But he was fighting Che Mills who I had never even really heard of. You have to realize Rashard is the #2 light heavy in the world. He is a much more dangerous fighter. If Jones starts winning by decision a lot I may agree with you. But he sure looked like he was going for it when he first destoyed Shogun, then Rampage, and then choked Machita unconcious. THose were all title fights. I say give him a pass on this one I am sure he will destory Henderson then maybe who knows Evans will get another shot.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-23-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
Jones went all GSP on us. Kinda sad to see. He could have easily went for the finish at several points. He chose to go for the win rather tham put himself out there to get caught being aggresive. Hopefully he doesn't continue down this path. Confirmation Anderson Silva is still the greatest pound for pound of all time. Minus a couple lack of motivation and interest decisions he always goes for a big finish..

Totally agree with Phat dudes take. If you dont know, Che Mills is a bad dude! I really thought he would put up a fight. That fight wasn't the co-main event for nothing. A young fighter looking to prove a point and a Champion afraid to loose. Jones will find out he's not making any fans fighting like that..
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
I have seen Anderson silva have some stinkers as well. Thales leites and Damian Maia come to mind. I would rather watch Jones fight over Silva any day. But I am biest because I can't stand Silva.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-23-2012, 9:20 PM Reply   
It was hard to tell but Rashad did get in a few good shots although they didn't seem to phase the champ. I was glad to see it go the whole 5 rounds. yes I agree I really don't want to see a Jones henderson fight, i don't think anyone does. If Dana puts that fight together it will be a terrible card unless you have some big names along with it. honestly I would like to see Jones vs Gustafson or a Jones vs Silva or a Jones vs Dos Santos at a catch weight of 230. Evidently Jones brother who plays for the Ravens was one of the best wreslters in the country and Jones wresltes with him all the time. Freaking scary since his brother weighs like 280.

Hendo needs to go down to 185 he's only 5'11
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
Jones put Machida to sleep, tapped out Rampage and finished Shogun with strikes and now you're comparing him to GSP?

GTFO here.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2012, 6:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
It was hard to tell but Rashad did get in a few good shots although they didn't seem to phase the champ. I was glad to see it go the whole 5 rounds. yes I agree I really don't want to see a Jones henderson fight, i don't think anyone does. If Dana puts that fight together it will be a terrible card unless you have some big names along with it. honestly I would like to see Jones vs Gustafson or a Jones vs Silva or a Jones vs Dos Santos at a catch weight of 230. Evidently Jones brother who plays for the Ravens was one of the best wreslters in the country and Jones wresltes with him all the time. Freaking scary since his brother weighs like 280.

Hendo needs to go down to 185 he's only 5'11
His younger brother is about to be a first round draft pick on Thursday night as well..

Imagine how proud their parents are? 2 kids in the NFL and one is the UFC's most dominant fighter ever. Unreal.

I believe their father is a Minister.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPMike0663 View Post
I have seen Anderson silva have some stinkers as well. Thales leites and Damian Maia come to mind. I would rather watch Jones fight over Silva any day. But I am biest because I can't stand Silva.
all of this x 1,000,000

Anderson has had about 3 exciting fights - 2 of them were breaking Franklins face.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-24-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
This thread makes me LOL. The first time Jones has ever gone to decision and now he's not a finisher. Funniest thing I've heard in awhile.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
This thread makes me LOL. The first time Jones has ever gone to decision and now he's not a finisher. Funniest thing I've heard in awhile.
GSP can't finish a happy meal and now we're comparing Jones to him.. This is the new age MMA fan. We have waited for Jones forever - now that he's here - all we do is complain, overanalyze and talk about his personality outside of the cage.. It's quite unreal.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-24-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Nobody is saying he isn't a finisher - you are taking the discussion out of context. The subject I raised was of fighters who get to the top essentially focus on winning/safety and not finishing. It would be interesting to see the stats of fighters who get the belt and then how often they finish. I am not even saying being safe isn't the right thing from a career management standpoint but these guys do not want to risk their belt and it would be inhuman to assume anything else. If you can fight safely and get the win or risk it all to try and finish a guy you have already beaten in points - it is probably a better decision to win.

Lets talk about Jones for a minute:

Lets be honest.....Shogun, Rampage and Machida have all been finished (multiple times in some cases). It is not like that was an impossible task. I would also say that Machida was the only fighter near his prime as well. I would put Rashad near his prime as well. Jones has only had 3 decisions in his 17 fights. It will be pretty easy to see if he begins to play it safe simply on a percentage basis (although the competition he is facing now is clearly better than earlier in his career). But if he is the second coming of christ as everyone seems to think he is he should have rolled through Rashad who clearly didn't have anything for him.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-24-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
Nobody is saying he isn't a finisher - you are taking the discussion out of context. The subject I raised was of fighters who get to the top essentially focus on winning/safety and not finishing. It would be interesting to see the stats of fighters who get the belt and then how often they finish. I am not even saying being safe isn't the right thing from a career management standpoint but these guys do not want to risk their belt and it would be inhuman to assume anything else. If you can fight safely and get the win or risk it all to try and finish a guy you have already beaten in points - it is probably a better decision to win.

Lets talk about Jones for a minute:

Lets be honest.....Shogun, Rampage and Machida have all been finished (multiple times in some cases). It is not like that was an impossible task. I would also say that Machida was the only fighter near his prime as well. I would put Rashad near his prime as well. Jones has only had 3 decisions in his 17 fights. It will be pretty easy to see if he begins to play it safe simply on a percentage basis (although the competition he is facing now is clearly better than earlier in his career). But if he is the second coming of christ as everyone seems to think he is he should have rolled through Rashad who clearly didn't have anything for him.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-24-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
i want to see jones vs silva. that's it.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-24-2012, 5:29 PM Reply   
Here is what I want to know (Off Topic sort of) The fight I have always wanted to see is Carwin vs Velasquez. That fight makes all the sense in the world. I walso want to see Eddie Alvarez come over to the UFC from belatorl. he fought last weekend and destroyed his opponent. It will also be interesting to see how GSP comes back after the knee surgery. I have had 3 knee surgeries and I have never been the same. oh and Kos vs Whats his name the dude who has been knocking everyone out. If that guy beats Kos he is the real deal and should get a shot at GSP.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
Hector Lombard is coming over too....185 class is about to get shaken up. Alvarez isn't far behind.

So much mma stuff to digest over the last 3-4 days I don't even know where to start. Haha
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-24-2012, 8:58 PM Reply   
Jones could have and should have finished that fight. Period. He's to talented. He should never go to a decision.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripr View Post
Hector Lombard is coming over too....185 class is about to get shaken up. Alvarez isn't far behind.

So much mma stuff to digest over the last 3-4 days I don't even know where to start. Haha
Lombard gets exposed.. He's gonna get beat but a strong top grappler with GNP..

I wish they would just feed him stand up fighters and showcase his talents - but Dana and Silva love to "prove" how much better the UFC guys are than the rest.. They'll put him in against a strong wrestler and he'll be on bottom and gas out after 7 minutes.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
Here is what I want to know (Off Topic sort of) The fight I have always wanted to see is Carwin vs Velasquez. That fight makes all the sense in the world. I walso want to see Eddie Alvarez come over to the UFC from belatorl. he fought last weekend and destroyed his opponent. It will also be interesting to see how GSP comes back after the knee surgery. I have had 3 knee surgeries and I have never been the same. oh and Kos vs Whats his name the dude who has been knocking everyone out. If that guy beats Kos he is the real deal and should get a shot at GSP.
He's third in line behind Condit and Ellenberger... If he beats Kos - he should fight Diaz or Rory - neither of which he'd get past..

Ellenberger needs to stay active.. Maybe they'll find him someone to fight before he gets the winner of GSP/Condit.. Maybe he gets Kos or Diaz or a Kampmann or Alves. He needs to stay busy though - hasnt fougth since Diego. He's young - gotta stay in front of people.