Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-05-2013, 4:20 PM Reply   
Just wondering if any one has used a electric trailer dolly? I have a heck of a time getting the boat into the storage unit due to other vehicles in the yard. I was thinking one would make it way easier to get the boat in and out of there.... Here is a pic for an idea of what I am talking about.
Attached Images

Old     (steveo142)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-05-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
how much $$$ do those things run? Ive thought about getting one but have never really looked in to it..
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
I use my power mover every time I move the boat. I am so glad I bought it. I got it used off Craigslist for $900 (power mover AC8).
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-05-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
Yeah, new ones can be $1200-$1600.... Looked for a used one but could not find any local at this time. I just ordered blueprints off ebay to build the one in the pic, said it can be done for around $500. Hoping to save some money by using some steal I have laying around, some old wheels and tires from a buddy, a battery that is coming out of the nautique, an old hitch and ball thats in the garage, etc. Follow the prints, but adjust to use what I have... I will post pics as I go.... give me some time...

Hey Cole- are you dealing with any inclines with that model? I have a very little incline, but a small bump at the entrance ot the shed. Might need to build some small "ramps" to help with the transition....
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-05-2013, 6:33 PM Reply   
wait a minute.... what about this thing? anyone seen this kind before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8GdzPW660g
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-05-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
That gadget looks pretty good! But if I am spending $400 i guess i would get the boat heater instead.

Last edited by scottb7; 06-05-2013 at 6:55 PM.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-05-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
That thing is cool.
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-05-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
Well boys.... just ordered one! I need something now, don't want to waste summer time in the garage building one, and for $434 to my house, screw it, I am in! I will let ya know when it shows up....
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2013, 7:13 PM Reply   
I do have a decent incline on the driveway. I also have the rounded curbs. I tried once to drive up the curb but the power mover just spins the tires. If I made a ramp, it would be no problem. I usually just put the boat on the driveway and go from there with the power mover. I would think twice about the one in the picture. The problem with those is there is not enough weight over the ball and the wheels on that mover will spin easily. The power mover brand uses a mount for the trailer and then you connect to it with the power mover. It is more stable this way. With the one you have in the picture, it will turn over on itself if you make a hard turn or at a minimum the tires will spin. The one thing I wish I had was a brake. The newer models have a disk brake operated by a handle, like a bike. Trust me, I researched all the forums and the power mover brand had the best reviews. I also highly recommend it. I have been using it for more than a year with my boat.

If you do go ahead with the one pictured, use an AC motor. Less complicated and you don't have to charge the battery all the time. Also, try and get one with more wheels. You will want the most traction you can afford. I was going to buy the AC6 from power mover (3 wheel model), but found this AC8 on Craigslist cheaper (4 wheels).
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-05-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
Ryan - I looked into that hand crank one. Your arm will be very tired if you have to move any distance. Also your knuckles will be bruised from hitting it on the trailer. You can get the power mover AC5 for $899. I would think about it.
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-05-2013, 7:29 PM Reply   
Cole- yeah, I might be getting a little bit of a workout with the manual one, but what the heck. It only needs to come out like 22 ft and turn 90 degrees and pull it another 10 ft. Then I can get the truck on it... Thanks!
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-06-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
I've got one - our driveway has nowhere near enough room to turn boat. Ours is AC and was not cheap, but no other option really. Make sure you get wider unit if possible (more surface contact) and if you're pulling on anything other than concrete or asphalt I'd pass.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-06-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have a powercaster.. Grips the trailer tongue instead of the ball.. the wheel base does not have to be super wide to be stable..
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-11-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
I just found this local to me if anyone is interested ($550) - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/3858939504.html
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-11-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
I have the exact one in the picture above and I will sell it for $200. I don't use it. I'm in Houston.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-11-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
I bought one just like Charlie's 5 years ago for my boat and loved it. I have a pretty steep driveway and it had no issues of moving my boat up or down. I'd recommend them.
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-26-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
So, my trailer valet showed up this week. After I ordered it, they contacted me and asked if I wanted to wait 10 days for the new model to come out. They solved a problem that involved raising and lowering from what I understand. I said sure. About 7 days later, my order showed up. Sweet! Here is how it was packed and what it looks like. Seems super stout and looks like quality. Better than I expected. I was worried what the bracket would look like on the trailer(I will remove the trailer valet once it is out of the garage leaving just the bracket) but it looks real nice and has chrome bolts. Cool. I will install tomorrow if I get my boat back from a neat little place in Lodi... More pics to follow once it's on the trailer.

Old     (Steven)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-20-2013, 1:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I have the exact one in the picture above and I will sell it for $200. I don't use it. I'm in Houston.
Justin,
I sent you a PM re: your mover..
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-21-2013, 7:23 AM Reply   
I traded my mover for a couple of beers. An electric dolly really requires special conditions. I would be very interested in how people are using theirs. Mine space had a slight incline and I have a tandem trailer. It could move my boat on flat ground and only straight. If I had to turn (at all) or I met any incline (at all), I just did not have the tongue-weight/traction.

I could push it by hand much better so that is what I do.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-21-2013, 9:53 PM Reply   
I have an electric power mover and a decent slope to my driveway. I would have to ask you how you had your mounted? You need as much weight on the mover as possible. If you were trying to use the tongue, that could be your problem. My mount is as far back on the trailer as I could put it and still be able to turn the mover. I have a four wheel mover, a 2012 MB Sports F21 with a tandem axle trailer and have to turn my boat as is push it into the garage. If yours had less wheels or a huge incline, I could see that being a problem.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-21-2013, 9:54 PM Reply   
Can you also tell us if your mover was slipping or didn't have enough power?
Old     (PARTSPHIL)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-22-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
Not sure how much effort it takes to rotate the hand powered mover, but you might could rig a heavy duty electric drill to turn it instead of the hand crank.
Old     (Newbie)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-14-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Skiboarder, still have the dolly? I'm new to this stuff but want to buy and try. If still around, any ideas of best way to get mover from Houston to CA?
Old     (jangell)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-02-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
I have a Powerdolly AC available...Sold our boat and no longer need it.

PM me if you are interested. We are in Seattle, WA...Happy to ship to you if you are not local.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-02-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
Trailer Valet looks cool. I could see using my Dewalt cordless instead of the crank handle.
Old     (jangell)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-04-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell View Post
I have a Powerdolly AC available...Sold our boat and no longer need it.

PM me if you are interested. We are in Seattle, WA...Happy to ship to you if you are not local.
Heere are some photos
Attached Images

Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-04-2014, 10:32 PM Reply   
Jeff, how much? Send me a pm, I'm interested. What is the model number? So I can look up the specs. Thanks!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-06-2014, 12:08 PM Reply   
Can any of these go across a flat lawn? Or maybe just with the trailer.
Old     (wnelson757)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-09-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
Jeff - I am also interested. How much? and what is model number. Thanks
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-09-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
Have you had any problems with the 2 wheel model falling over while turning the trailer? My 4 wheel one can get tipped a little if I am not watching what I am doing and turning tight.

As for the lawn - it should have no problem. The more wheels the better - it will spin the tires a little if it has bad traction.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-20-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
Selling my Power Caster 2 Electric tow dolly..

Works great....

500 lb. tongue capacity.
5,000 lb. laden weight capacity
1/4 horsepower electric motor
400 in.-lbs. of torque @ 30 RPM
(120 volts, 3.9 amps)
Weight 58 lbs. (boxed shipping
weight approx. 79 lbs.)

There $1,125 new..

$600..............

Last edited by jagermeister; 03-20-2014 at 1:58 PM.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-25-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
Yes i have the trailer valet, I had one of the first models, didn't really like it. The tires would always go flat, and hard to fill w/air. They replaced but the new ones weren't much better. It was kind of a hassle to take on and off, but you can't leave it on it takes to much space. Depenmding how high you have to raise up the tongue it becomes very unstable. All and all I sold my trailer valet becuase it just wasn't that useful for me, it seems like it was made for a lighter boats.
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-26-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
Anyone thought about using a winch mounted to the back of the garage. I have a really flat driveway but I have to turn the boat once in the garage and I was thinking a winch might be the ticket. I also have to have the tongue dropped as much as possible so I think the dolly is out.

My thought is use the winch for the main work then I just have to maneuver, doing both is a 2 person job for sure.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._734798_734798
Old     (dbquarters02)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-01-2014, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpdepaepe View Post
well boys.... Just ordered one! I need something now, don't want to waste summer time in the garage building one, and for $434 to my house, screw it, i am in! I will let ya know when it shows up....
ryan i am interested in the website for the boat dolly you purchased for 400 plus dollars please respond barry in calif
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-01-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
We use something similar for this to put our plane back in the hanger. You can actually make one pretty simple. It really does come in handy moving trailers, etc. around though.