Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    wakeordiex            08-18-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
I'm tired of filling bags by hand and would like to add a ballast system with the right type of bags, pumps and drains. I want it to fill super fast and drain almost as fast. I've searched the web and this site and found bits of information but nothing that seems just right. Any help?
Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX with center MLS
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
For the fastest fill go with the rule 2000gph pump or the huge 3500gph pump or a combo of both If you want to drain it fast, use seperate drain pumps on each sac. Reversable self priming pumps are slower then non self priming non reversable pumps
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2004, 8:40 PM Reply   
where do you get the pickup for the fill/drain? Im tired of the sac on the floor and portable pump bit also.
Old    foobysmacker            08-19-2004, 1:35 AM Reply   
westmarine.com I think it's under plumbing and under thru-hull fittings from there.
Old    d_fresh            08-19-2004, 5:23 AM Reply   
Here we go with the typical discussion on DIY ballast. Even though you can use the 2k or 3.5kgph pumps, there are all of the other things associated with those types of pumps. You need to have a ball or electric valve to shut the water supply off or they will continue to force water into the bags. The issue with priming the pumps, etc. Filling bags quickly is not just the most gph pump. Its also the ease of use. I use Simer pumps, 1 per bag. They are dependable, easy to install, and you don't need a valve to stop inward water getting to your bags thru the pump. They also don't have problems priming. Flip a switch, let the guy on deck get there gear on, and before you know you're up and running.
Old    wakeordiex            08-19-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
Doug, couldn't you set it up just like the MLS, once full it will overflow out the drain pump. Assuming you have the bags in cases with straps so that they don't just keep stretching out? How much are the Simer pumps and how big can you go without blowing your budget or draining the electrical? My problem is my young kids are boarding and don't like a huge wake. I would like to add or reduce ballast quickly. Never was a problem until the kids wanted to ride. I always filled and drained once.
Even with the Simer don't you need a vent line to be safe? And doesn't it just keep filling until switched off? Still need a vent line? Thanks for your help, just trying to do it right!
Old    wakeordiex            08-19-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
Where do you get a 3.5 kpgh pump set up with the hose connection like we use for bags vs the bilge suction on the bottom? I can find 1100 and 2000 gph pumps set up for wakeboarding but everything bigger is for bilging.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-19-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/BallastSystem3.asp

Try this...
Old    d_fresh            08-19-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
Denis, if you using aerator type (Rule) pumps, you will need two pumps, one for fill, one pump for empty. You have to shut the water supply off for the fill pump, because you will draw water through it when emptying. Aerator pumps have a propeller that pushes the water. You have to prime your system for them to work. I know of a person who drives as he is filling to maintain a "primed" pump. The Simers are slower (850gph), But they are an impellar type pump. You only need one pump. By reversing the polarity on the motor, the water gets pumped out of the bag thru the same thru hull fitting as when you fill. The only problem is you should not run the pumps too long after the bags are empty, not good for the impellar. You can buy the pumps for about $65 at B.E.Atlas
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-19-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
A buddy and I installed a similar setup in the ski locker of his Malibu. For his setup, we used a Jabsco Water Puppy. It's a little expensive ($150-200), but it's a self-priming, reversible pump, and you only need one. 1st, we had the local Malibu dealer drill and install a 1" thru-hull fitting. From there, we installed a manual shutoff valve to the thru-hull fitting, as a "just in case" safety measure. Using 1" clear tubing, we connected the pump to the shutoff valve, and the pump to the sac. That covered the draining and filling of the sac. To be extra cautious, we installed a vent line on the opposite topside end of the sac. We simply ran some 5/8" clear tubing from the sac to a drain hole on the side of the boat, which was also installed by the Malibu dealer. What's really sweet about this particular install is that Jabsco uses the same switches that the Malibu factory does. So, we were able to install the switch in the dash, as if it installed there by the factory. However, you'll need to order the switch covers that say, "MLS… DRAIN/FILL" from the factory, if you want them to match identically. That'll set you back a couple bucks, maybe $4?

Like Doug said, the easier it is to fill, the happier you'll be. To fill our sac, we simply flip a switch. When it's full, we shut it off. If you're worried about getting your sacs filled and emptied in a hurry, the self-priming pumps won't take much longer than the aerator pumps. When we go to the lake, we slowly drive to a starting point, and fill/drain the tanks as we are moving, as the rider gets ready. We've never had to wait on the pump to fill the sac; I don't think it takes any longer than 3-4 minutes to fill up our 500-600 lb. locker sac. We like this setup so much, that we are in the process of installing 2 more pumps in the rear lockers to drain, and fill, the rear sacs automatically as well.

-Blake
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-19-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Damn, I know that was a lot, but I forgot to mention one last thing... We bought all of the hardware we needed at West Marine. They even carry the Jabsco pumps, but you can find them a lot cheaper on the internet... Try searching for Jabsco Water Puppy Wakeboarding Ballast Pump. You should be able to find someone who carries it for a lot less than West Marine.

-Blake
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-19-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
The Water Puppy is NOT the same as the Ballst Puppy pump from Jabsco so don't get the two confused. Water puppy is 6 gallons per minute, ballast puppy is 9 gallons per minute. Water puppy is not ignition protected, ballast puppy is. I don't think water puppy is reversible, ballast puppy is. Also make sure to check inside the box for the toggle switch. I don't know why, but some ballast puppies have the switch, and some do not. According to the guy at Jabsco, the box they ship to west marine is supposed to omit the switch. That's why it's cheaper than you see at other places. However, sometimes the switches end up in the box anyway.
Old    afxsguy            08-19-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
i see wakeworld's ballast schematics... what is the purpose of the valvge manifold? cant you just bypass the manifold and go straight to the tanks?

also anyone here have pictures of their home-made ballast systems?
Old    foobysmacker            08-19-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
The manifold allows you to have granular control over multiple bags with a single pump. For example, you might always fill and drain your twin locker sacks together so you could just run one pump w/ tee'd output. The valves at the manifold would allow you to make minor adjustments to one independently (to balance driver weight for example) or would allow you to fill/drain a single bag by itself (for wake surfing for example).

No pics of mine yet. But we should start a new thread for custom ballast pics. I'll take some of mine when I finish the v-drive locker sacks (I only have a center sack in the floor right now).
Old    afxsguy            08-19-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
how big should the manifold be?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-19-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
The simers are $65 shipped from BE Atlas. They pump 8.5-10gpm or 600gph. Roughly 10 minutes for a 500# sack. The simers are not ignition protected so you cannot use them in the engine compartment, near the fuel tank, or under the floorboards. If you need the protection use the Jabsco ballast puppy it operates about the same but costs $150+/-. Westmarine has some 12gpm self priming macerator pumps on sale for $99. They also have some nice free flowing two way valves that you can use to switch between filling and draining. The flow rite valves are nice cable operated you can use to switch between filling/draining remotely. All this stuff has been discussed before, search the archives for more details.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-19-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm not 100% what the correct name is, but the box does specify that it is a Jabsco wakeboarding ballast pump, and it is reversible. The same pump drains, and fills the locker sac, in which it is installed on.

-Blake