Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-04-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
I was surprised to hear that Worlds was pulled by the Correct Craft Air 226 rather than the Super Air 210. I always thought that the Super Air was their "premier" wakeboard boat and that the 226 was positioned as more of a family wakeboard boat. The 210 is even touted as "the official towboat of the WWA National and World Championships" on their website.

For those who have experience with both, what do you find are the differences wake-wise?
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-04-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
me too, and i cannot believe this topic has not seen more discussion. I think all these 210 owners are scared, is the #1 Super Air being topped by the new 226? and what.. publicly praised by Shaun M ? Check out planetnautique.com for more details. Id say the wake is not as steep as 210 but beefy. perhaps a mix between the X-Star and the 210. Its a bigger boat than the 210. the wake starts to resemble larger boat wakes, not the "classic 210 shape."
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
Perhaps Correct Craft is trying to get the word out about the 226 throwing a good wakeboard wake by using it to pull various tour events. Not too many people are talking about the 226 and maybe Correct Craft realizes this and needs to get the word out that a $60k 23 foot nautique can been worth the price and throw a good wake. It may be more of a marketing strategy than it having a better wake than the Super Air. I think they were expecting more of a buzz for this boat. I personally thought the boat didn't have the wakeboard appeal to it based on looks only, and that it was a family boat that offers more room than any other nautique.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-04-2004, 7:41 PM Reply   
Pulling random tour events is one thing. pulling the Vans Triple Crown pro mens is another. I think that says something. If the 210 is CC's Super Air NTE then why would they pull with anything else? Its tough to come out with a NEW product and NOT claim its BETTER than your pervious one. I know.. I hear you.. marketing... I think thats where CC went wrong. It didn't seem as though CC was confident in this boat. I felt they just tossed it out there. Hey this is our 226 TE. Its not better just more storage, 65-cubic feet! Seating for 12, this beauty is the largest in the Nautique line and offers maximum room and comfort for everyone... Now a lot of top team riders are requesting them over the 210. Think thats marketing or do the pros think it produces a better bigger wake? In the end, everyone wants the biggest wake. Maybe CC should have made a bigger splash with the 226? Who knows. It will be interesting to see what progresses. Hey Im pricing out all three 05' X-Star, 226 and 210. lol..

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1879&sid= f27a5e3868540b7147159f939989d2f0&POSTNUKESID=4f989 d6ffb787315256c6427662d0319
}
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   

quote:

Pulling random tour events is one thing. pulling the Vans Triple Crown pro mens is another. I think that says something.

what better way to get the word out, than at one of the biggest event of the year...that's what it says.

quote:

210 owners are scared

why would they be scared? they've got one of the (if not THE) sickest boats in the market.

quote:

publicly praised by shaun m.

uh, that's what they pay him to do.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-04-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
I like the wake on the 226 a lot. It's got the rampy shape of the x-star wake, but a little lip on the top for some more straight up pop. Murray has a 226 and I liked his wake better than the new X-star. My normal tow boat is a 1995 Super Sport, so there is definitely a huge difference between that (SAN wake) and the 226.

(Message edited by tparider on October 04, 2004)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-04-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
I'm thinking maybe they use it because it is closer to a wake shape they are used to riding in tournaments. No doubt about it that the 210 has a unique wake shape. Maybe the 226 shape is closer to say a X-star, Malibu VLX, Supra SSV, etc.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
david, which x-star are you talking about? i've never heard anyone say that the x-star's wake is rampy.
Old    roo            10-04-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thats right and for years they have said the 210 is it. Im not saying that it isn't. But people are sheep! If all those sposored by Nauti were to say that they like the 226 it would no doubt be the "it" boat. And all the "sheep" would intantly chubb-up over a boat that has been around for a couple of years now. The 226 may in fact be the the sweetest thing to have ever got its belly wet, but dont let someone else tell you if is or isnt. We all know that all these guys could throw just about ANY trick, behind ANY boat, on ANY board, on ANY day, in Any water condition. Bottom line, if you are puuting it down on a 210, 226, X24VLXS-Star, fihing boat whatever...keep doin your thing and remember unless you are sponsored you dont have to sell out.}

(Message edited by roo on October 04, 2004)
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-04-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
i just wanted to get people talking. lol

Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-04-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
haha well said roo!
Old    roo            10-04-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
Right on. Isnt that what were doing
Old    roo            10-04-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
Mike, way to represent on the swirly.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-05-2004, 6:02 AM Reply   
i was there and it looked a lot steeper than the X-Star wake IMO.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
The hull of the Super Sport is tried and true. If someone wants the SAN and can afford it, that is the boat they buy. If they want something with more storage, general size and wake that is a bit easier on the knees and can afford it....they go with that boat. It is a general fact that the SAN is not the best boat for everyone.

I will finish with this.... I am not 100% positive with this, but didn't CC pull with a Pro Air a few years(+/- 5) back?

....and I am not scared.....

E.J.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-05-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
i know your not scared! Ive found if you don't ripple the water a bit on here you will not get any responses.

thanks for all your input..

CDM
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-05-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
I saw this question and asked one of the riders that got pulled at the tournament and he said the 226 is way better than the 210 wake - not even a question...
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-05-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
I have ridden behind the 226 and I own a SAN 210. They are two of the best wakes I have ever ridden behind. I bought my SAN 210 only after riding behind one, because 85% of my boat buying criteria is based on the wake. While X-Stars and Malibu's are rampy (long transition - not too steep) and the SAN 210 is rather peaky (shorter transition - pretty steep), the 226 is a blend of the two. It has a nice long transition with a good kick at the top. I find that rampy wakes are better for raleys, glides, and rolls and peaky wakes are better for spins, fronts, and crow and tantrum based moves. I found the 226 to be great for just about everything. I was easy to take things straight up, into the flats, or both.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-05-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
I honestly think Correct Craft hasn't sold as many of the 226s as they anticipated and I agree with Roo that it doesn't really matter what boat the pros ride behind they will still be pulling some sick tricks.
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-05-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
I watched the 226 wake on Friday at the qualifying round and Saturday at the semi's. Both days I noticed the 226 wake was washing out a lot. I don't know how they were weighting that 226, but the 210 wake has always been super clean as far back as you need it. Of course it didn't seem to cause the pros any problems, but it just looked dirty to me. I've never ridden it though so I'm not judging it.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
Yes CDM, you are right on with the ripple effect.

Can anyone confirm the use of the Pro Air as Correct Craft's chosen towboat a few years back(maybe 5)? I don't know why that seems imprinted in my head....I could be totally wrong.

Bet you could have ask the question to a few of the major players back then...with the response it had the "best wake" no questions asked....

E.J.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-05-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   

quote:

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 8:38 pm:

david, which x-star are you talking about? i've never heard anyone say that the x-star's wake is rampy.

are you being sarcastic? that's ALL i've heard about the xstar wake, including from chris williams.

quote:

Now a lot of top team riders are requesting them over the 210. Think thats marketing or do the pros think it produces a better bigger wake?

nope. pros need a lot of room in their boats for friends, hangers-on, photographers and copious amounts of boat ornaments. :-)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-05-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
no i'm not. but i guess hearing it from chris williams is final.

wait...are we talking about older x-stars (x-2) or new x-stars? i was thinking of the older x-star, and could give a rat's ass about the new x-star.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
Several years ago when some of the Tours were at OWC, SAN was the towboat.
Now since Mastercraft has taken in a big interest in Wakeboarding and using that at OWC would be a conflict of interest - Since Nautique is a big sponsor of OWC.
Basically that's the info I was given from some WB Kahunas
Old    kev4prez            10-05-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
Ill tell ya I was at the WWA at O Dub and was very very dissapointed on the choice of boat i know O Dub is sponserd by CC but come on get a decent boat out there. I know ill catch hell for this but I have riden behind all of em i Have a Malibu waksetter VLX and the wake is SO MUCH NICER the Air 226 has way to much of a roll. If u noticed if u were at the event the riders didnt ride all that well they went down on a lot of things just for example Dallas Friday going down on a whirlybird what the hells up with that?? The wake on that boat is horrible they shoulda had an X-star out there or a Malibu Wakesetter I know some of the riders and they were not happy with the wake at all was compleatly diffrent from the wake of there sponsers (Malibu and Mastercraft) SOrry if i pissed some of u off.
Old    kev4prez            10-05-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
Another thing i really didnt touch on like FL surfer said the wake was very sloppy i had a friend of mine come thats never been to an event before and has never seen the wake of a 226 before and as soon as he got there and took off he said "wow that wake is a mess" They need to get the Wakesetter 23 LSV out ther with the 4 sacks filled or they need to drop that X80 in lol thers is plenty of room in either for everything and i dont know about the X80 but i know the 23 LSV wakesetter throows one hell of a wake with the 4 sacks filled. sorry felt i needed to add that.
Old    sbvfive            10-05-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
Kevin, you may have overlooked the fact that the vans triple crown is sponsored by Nautiques. That is why there were no Malibus or MC's out there. The wake on that 226 was washy though. I saw amber wing almost die on a raley because the wake washed out on here
Old    kev4prez            10-05-2004, 6:38 PM Reply   
Yea i know it is unfortunatly but u can screw with the sposers a bit lol i mean look at the sponsorship that ford had at worlds and as we all know sitting in that 226 was a good ol GM Chevy motor. Just think would have seen a lot more tricks landed that shoulda been if ther had been a decent boat pulling them.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-05-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
Opening round of the Pro Tour was at OWC and it was pulled by the Mastercraft X-Star. Why? Because MC sponsors the Pro Tour. Which brand of boat pulled the contest has nothing to do with who sponsors OWC.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
This doesnt have to do with the thread, but does malibu sponsor any big events. I know supra/moomba for the gravity games, MC for the x-games, and nautiques in worlds. Besides the malibu open, what else does malibu sponsor?
Old    loren            10-05-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
I had a 226 last year and traded it this year for a 210. I prefer the 210 wake by far. The only time I have really liked the 226 is when it is weighted to the max. Right now I am riding my 210 with factory ballast, a sack in the bow, and of course friends and the wake is always amazing. I would choose the 210 any day.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-05-2004, 10:26 PM Reply   
Leo, Malibu has something going on with the AWA. I don't know exactly how deep it is, but they sponsored their Nationals. I talk to them once in awhile and their view is that they don't want to fight it out with Mastercraft or Nautique. They are #1 in sales, so I guess they are on the right track.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-08-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
I would say that it was a call for comfort and space- the 210 tends to get very crowded at one of these events- you have judges, camera crew, and other spectators on board- sometimes you can hardly move in there- and then there's the issue of the wake and getting everyone in the right place to even it out- I have a 210 and love the wake it makes.... I have ridden behind shaun's 226 and the wake was awesome- don't even ask how much lead has to go in the thing to weight it right- it's a lot- I agree with the folks that say it is somewhere between the 210 and X-star- after being in the new x-star it's gotta be hard to go back to a smaller boat- the 210 leaves a lot to be desired in this department- try getting 6 or 8 people in there and gear- there's no room left- and you're sitting there with your knees up to your chin- I usually only have 2-3 people on my boat so it's not really an issue but I have been in the 210 @ the boarding school with about 6 people in it all day and I can say that it was not comfortable- if any of you have ever been in the boat at O-dub for a day it will kick your butt- cramped quarters and turning around every 30 seconds will take it's toll- just my .02$

Alex
Old    big_poppa            10-12-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
All day at odub in a super air!! coool!