Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
I was just thinking about the old days. What happened to this company. I remember when I bought my first wakeboard. It was in San Diego and the shop sold blindside and fulltilt. I bought the old blindside DV8 wakeboard and it came with the movie Skurfs up. Havent seen much more of blindside or full tilt in the last few years? Didnt Chase Heavener used to ride for them as well. What happened to some of these Vets?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-24-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Not sure about Full Tilt. Mike Weddington made me want to wakeboard on his original all white pro -model, wicked awesome. The team was Mikker, Weddington, Thomas Horrell and Andrea Gaytan.

Blindside was a division of KD skis, run by Denny Kidder. The reason you saw them in the San Diego store was that store was Water Ski World and owned by a guy named Pat. He and Kidder were good friends. I used to work in their Santa Ana shop and sold a ton of Blindside. Then BS went under. Not sure what Denny is up to now.

Chase Heavener used to ride for Neptune. He, Bill McCaffray and CC Roberts.

(Message edited by stephan on October 24, 2008)
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-24-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Fulltilt ended up getting axed by K2 when their parent company Ride was aquired. It was quite the shake up, no one really knew what was going on. I remember it happened right around Surf Expo, all the reps expected to be showing gear and instead they got let go. I guess K2 didnt think that the watersports industry showed enough profit potential.

Blindside was a different story but with similar results, I think most of the factory was purchased by an Australian company and they are still producing gear but not in the states. In the end Blindside and KD Skis were owned by the same guys that owned Wet Tech and Hardline, those guys were always really cool but in the end the margins were to thin.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Thats right chase did ride for neptune and heck ya Mikes all white pro model was sick! I was just thinking about some throw back companies and vids. Got me wondering what the story was with some of these guys. Alot of the people on here dont really know those names (not all, but some). I have HUGE respect for CC. I remember his riding before the accident and how he still can shred anything to this day. Isnt Thomas working with LF now on skates? Could be very wrong just thought I heard something about that?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-24-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
CC is the man. I loved seeing that article on him in the Standerd. still being able to hit rails, surf, whatever. makes me feel like a big sissy.
I miss those days. weddington killed it back in the day. his mega man board rocked! and Nelson rocking the K2 (I think woodie board) was awesome. no vest, valeo back brace, and gloves. that was pure early to mid 90's baby!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
i loved neptune boards. built like tanks. i wish straight line would have brought them back but now straightline is liquid force so i dont ever see that happening
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
This is one of the big reasons I still love the Retrospect video. Most of the old school guys are in there and the progressions of the sport are documented. Watching these guys kill it off boats with no weight is still amazing.

Funny, I still have a Neptune board in the basement. Fudge I'm old.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
I remember a Full Tilt board, the Mantis I think..all black with a green mantis graphic....very cool stuff back then.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-24-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
I have an old board with a Blindside graphic on the top and a DoubleUp logo on the bottom.}
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
Retrospect was a sik vid! I remember before I bought the blindside DV8 we went to like sports authority or some crap and almost pulled the trigger on an H.O skurfer (directional) I think it was red with like a crazy fish on it I could be wrong though. My parents told me to wait and thats when I found the DV8 at the shop in SD. Best christmas present EVER! The skurfs up video it came with was the first vid I ever saw and I looked up to all those guys. It even had a TAPE soundtrack that was awesome! Oh the good ol days. That was like 9 years ago. I think I was 13 or 14
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-24-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Dave, I have most of the Skurfs Up soundtrack as mp3s. Including the hilarious "King of the Chrome" song, which was Murray's section. Classico.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
Where did you down load them from. I think I had a few off napster back in the day, but I lost that tape and I can never remember the artist. I know the one that sings king of the chrome has like 3 or 4 songs on the vid and theyre all SIK! Let me know brotha I want to download them and thanks
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-24-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
I used to have that White Weddington board. I wish I still had it. One day I had a great idea to cut it up and turn it into a wakeskate.....? Before wakeskates were really around. Idk WTF I was thinking.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-24-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
Back when I had that video I really liked the songs by that artist. They are called Headcrash and I looked everywhere for the CD and finally found it on a Spring Break trip in Manhattan NYC. So now I have it uploaded on the comp. I'd be happy to shoot it to ya, let me know the easiest way to do so.

Speaking of old boards, I own an original (1st year of production) LF Free 135. The best part, it's the oatmeal graphic. So hot!! Bought it from Tony Finn himself at the LA Boat Show.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Thats SIK! If I knew how to get those from you I would, but I dont know how to send (or recieve) MP3 files. Damn that sucks. Atleast I know the artist now so thank you for that. Good lookin out bro and Tony Finn is tha man
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-24-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
yea k2 axed fulltilt. makes supporting rider owned brands so important. i would never be caught dead with a k2 or ride snowboard under my feet.

at least bob archer wakeboards or wakeskates.... right?...........

(Message edited by adam_balon on October 24, 2008)
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-24-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
I've got my wifes old Neptune Impala in the basement and I personally broke 2 of my father-in-laws Neptune Storms back in the day. Funny thing is she rode it up until last year when I finally got her a new board. She still loves that thing and its like 12 years old
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       10-25-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
The weddington board was insane! (FIRST TWIN TIP MYSELF)I remember I had the honeycomb version (couldnt wait till it came out). First inverts were landed on that bad boy.

If anyone has one still (I would be interested to take if off your hands).

Blindside = I had the stingray

Neptune= rode Gambler, Pimp, and the Impala

Man I think I just described an era of mid-late 90's riding. Dont forget the jetpilot pants.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-25-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
neptune boards from 99 i know had problems. i broke my first one. but the boards from 2000 to 2003 were really strong.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-25-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
hahah the jet pilot pants! I forgot about those. Shane used to rock em when he rode the mini squirt
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-26-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Man, i can't remember if I ever posted these on here, but I have a small fulltilt collection running. I think the boards from 1998-ish were some of the hottest...weddington's mudflap graphic and also that ohm (sp) deck were bad to the bone.

Upload