Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andwhutnot)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-09-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
So, I am new to the sport, and I was hoping you guys would give me some advice on gear... I have nothing. I guess I'm looking for the ideal setup. I don't really care how much it costs.. I may be wrong, but I figure it's probably cheaper to do it right the first time, instead of buying the cheap crap and upgrading over and over... correct me if I am off base there.

I assume I'll need boards (wake and wake surf), bindings, ropes, and life vests... anything else you suggest?

I'm 6'1" and about 200lbs... I'm a solid snowboarder - I prefer a twin-tip, shorter, more flexible snowboard, but I am not sure how well snowboarding translates into wakeboarding.

I've read that Hyperlite and Ronix are good... one website recommended a Ronix 143 "Phoenix Project" based upon my stats...

I welcome any suggestions on any of the following:

- Boards (brand/model/length)
- Bindings (brand/model)
- Ropes (brand/lenths) - we're riding behind a Masterccraft X-25
- Life jackets

Thanks in advance...
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-09-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Boards- I'm liquid force all the way, I love the watson. But really all of the board manufacturers make a good board. Try and demo if you can.
Bindings- Make sure your try these on before you buy, you don't want to get stuck with some uncomfortable bindings or ones that don't fit right.
Ropes-Get a coated non stretch line. I like straight line because they have lines with 50' and 55' mainlines instead of the standard 60' or 65'. It's good to be able to try new tricks on a short line and slow especially if you're just starting out.
Life jackets- Definitely go with a coast guard approved vest. I like the side entry vests but again you should try them on before you buy.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-09-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
boards- i'm liquid force all the way, i love the watson. But really all of the board manufacturers make a good board. Try and demo if you can.
Bindings- make sure your try these on before you buy, you don't want to get stuck with some uncomfortable bindings or ones that don't fit right.
Ropes-get a coated non stretch line. I like straight line because they have lines with 50' and 55' mainlines instead of the standard 60' or 65'. It's good to be able to try new tricks on a short line and slow especially if you're just starting out.
Life jackets- definitely go with a coast guard approved vest. I like the side entry vests but again you should try them on before you buy.
everything agreed!
Old     (andwhutnot)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-09-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
Awesome.. I really appreciate the tips.

I checked out the Watson... Not that it will matter much for me (since I think it may be a while before it comes an issue), but I read online that a 3-stage rocker makes for a pretty a hard landing... do you think that's true?
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-09-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
L
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-09-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
I am a big Liquid Force fan also. Last year was my first year wakeboarding and I went out and purchased the LF PS3 and love it. Great beginner board at a decent price. I was dead set on getting my own board that was fit properly to me but I didn't want to go totally crazy with price till I figured out how much I was going to get into the sport. Would definitely suggest you check that one out! Good luck!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-09-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
Rope - (most important piece of gear. after all it is what connects you to the boat and allows you to shred all day.)
*most important is to make sure the rope is made from "dyneema" or "spectra." these are premium no-stretch materials. brand is kinda preference, but straight line having a shorter "main line" than other brands is kinda nice. ("Main Line" is the longest portion of the rope.)
* get a rope with longest total length you can ie. 85')
*having a PU plastic-like coating is really nice as it allows the rope to glide through fingers.
*get a bright/ light color rope so it is easy to see

Handle - if possible try a few grips in the store and see what is most comfortable. have someone pull on the other end to simulate some resistance.
* many people are really digging the suede and leather grip handles.
* consider a "cheater grip" -- this is a smaller handle a foot or two down the line from the handle itself. this is used for wrapped tricks where the rope is partially wrapped around the rider to help in spins and grab longer.

Boots - (2nd most important gear. you cant enjoy your board unless you enjoy the boots that are connecting you to it)
* Definitely try some on at a store first. move your body around and bend into grab positions to see if you want a stiffer or softer boot.
* most prefer closed toe boots, but you may like open toe better, especially if you are sharing the boots with someone with a different size foot.
* Velcro straps or Laces?
* because you have a snowboarding background you might like the idea of Hyperlite's new system binding and boot. the boot and binding are seperate pieces as in snowboarding.

Board - because you are a snowboarder you may (but not indefinitely) like a board with some flex and that was built more like a snowboard in materials. often these boards are known as "flex boards." these boards are described as: soft landing boards, have stored/ load energy kind of pop, eay to press and slide on water or rails... but not all will agree with these claims
the ronix phoenix is one such said board
any board from the brand, slingshot would qualify, obrien paradigm, liquid force team shane or watson hybrid, and many more.
* try a "hybrid" rocker board, most boards are and have switched to a blend of both worlds. look for rocker names like: hybrid, subtle 3 stage, abrupt continuous, etc.
* Might consider a board with bolt-on fins in each corner (minimum of 4 bolt on fins) this way you have more freedom to play with how the board rides by changing or removing fins.

Life Vest -
cga vest all the way personally. neoprene material of course. try before you buy if possible. should be tight, but not to the point that you can’t breath. remember that the vest will stretch a bit, especially after wet.

Apparel -
Wetsuit?
rashguards
board shorts (give CIRE boardshorts a try http://cirewear.com/)

Wakesurf - no experience there, but gota do it some day
*wake surf rope - get specific rope for wake surf. heard of some lost fingers using wake ropes as surf ropes

Wakeskate - not so much experience there either
*wakeskate shoes

sorry if this is a little much...before i go to far I will try to answer your question about rocker and what makes for a soft landing board
Unfortunately there are many different theories of what makes a soft landing board, but there is no unanimous agreement. just another area you will have to form you own opinion.
Continuous rockers generally do have softer landings (maybe not significantly) than their threestage counterparts. but there are other things that contribute too.
some believe in belly spines and other bottom features to break-up the impact. others think that a smooth featureless belly will prove to have the least resistance and glide on impact and be softer.
How much a board flexes and if that is good or bad is another endless argument.

Last edited by wakerider111; 02-09-2012 at 8:11 PM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-09-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
ohh and board length

stay between 140 and 147cm
Old     (andwhutnot)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-10-2012, 7:05 AM Reply   
Jeremy - you're a badass. Thank you.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhutnot View Post
Jeremy - you're a badass. Thank you.
welcome to wakeboarding and the best place on line for it, wakeworld.