Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       01-12-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Does anybody have this? What brand? Are you happy with it? Would you buy it again?

I hate taking the boat key with me, so this seems like a good idea.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       01-12-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
ITs been done a few times. Mercruiser has a kit for it and Nautiques have it on the Team and Limited boats.

Wouldn't take more than basic electronics to do it yourself though.... Finding a nice waterproof keypad would be the biggest issue.

In my opinion though, boat keys are such a joke you may as well just fit a starter button. I can hot wire a boat in about 10-15 seconds, and throw in a new ignition barrel in around 5 minutes.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-12-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
Done the starter button before. Just wire accessories to a toggle switch and the starter to a push button.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-12-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
I have the Nautique keypad....thing....whatever it is.....

LOVE IT.... Never had an issue with it, it runs everything....starter, heater, shower, blower, ballast, interior lights, running lights ect....

Would I buy my '03 SAN again.....bet your tail I would.....
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-12-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
I loved it on my nautique but was always worried it was one more thing that could break.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-12-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
We do, no idea about the brand, push button start (if you know how to turn on the power first) everything else runs off switches on the dash.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-12-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/details.lasso?itemid=PUSHB
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
that seems reasonable for that autoloc. If it works, it would prob be a nice little upgrade. Does anybody know how well it works?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-15-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
Here is one that I've kicked around getting Mercury Marine Keyless Ignition
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-15-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
They asked if I wanted that on my new Bu.... I chose not to. Just seems like one more thing that could break and hell I leave the key in it all the time anyway so whats the point.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-15-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
The nice thing for me would be the idiot times that I've swung down to the launch (sub 5 minutes for me) and I don't have my F'n key or when I leave it on my buoy and walk my ass down to the beach and the couple hundred yards out in the water and...NO F'N KEY! Yes alcohol may be involved.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-17-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
I got the mercury keyless ignition and love it. Its super simple system to install. I never worry about keys, yes its beyond simple to "hotwire" a boat so keys or keyless either way someone can steal your boat. But a push button start just makes it to darn easy for young teenagers to hop in the boat and go, so I went with they keyless ignition and have no regrets Upload
Upload
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-19-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
02 super air team and love my key pad.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-20-2009, 5:22 AM Reply   
I have the Mercury keyless ignition, have had it on my last two boats. I recommend it as well, it will run your blower at appropriate times, including when you are idling below 1500 rpm. I installed my last one without cutting any wires or drilling any holes. All I had to do was mount the hardware and put spade connectors (included) on the new wires from the brain box for the unit. After that, I just plugged it into my existing harness in place of the ignition switch.

I did have one fail on me, it failed in that the code didn't work anymore. It still worked via push button start, I just couldn't lock it. I trailer so I don't care.
Old     (bricej)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-03-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
Hi,

I just purchased a Mercury Keyless Ignition off ebay exactly like the one Eric has. It did not come with instructions. Does anyone know where I can get installation instructions?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-03-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Did it come in the box? If the box has a phne number on it, call and they can email you the directions as a pdf document.
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-03-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
Keyless in my San. Love it.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-03-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
I just leave the key in, take it. I have insurance.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       02-03-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
Leaving the key in the boat facilitates theft. If your boat gets stolen and it becomes known that you left the key in it, you may not be covered. It might even be illegal.

Don't screw yourself.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-03-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
Runs your blower for you? That sounds awesome no matter how many times I say it our blower doesn't get run enough for my liking, I'm usually driving the truck so I don't generally start the boat. My flatmate reckons the worst that can happen is the sun pad will blow off even though I've seen boats burned down to the water line from exploding fumes.

It will be a sad day when I'm proved right and the whole thing goes down in flames...
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
Jos, it doesnt happen any where near as often on the fuel injected boats versus the older carbureted ones when the float would occasionally stick...not to say it doesnt happen at all. How many people know someone who filled their fishing boats bilge with gas thru the fishing rod holder located right beside the gas fill?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-06-2009, 5:55 AM Reply   
BriceJ
I'm sure I still have the instructions for mine, I can dig them up and scan them if you like.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
I love the keyless ignition. I wish it was in more boats.