Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    lachrimae            05-03-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hey,

I have many friends that I know would like to go out on my boat with me but here's the problem:
-They probably don't want to be pushy and ask for me to take them out on the lake so they just wait for an invite.
-Because if this, I am the one that has to invite them, but when I invite them, I feel bad about asking for gas money because they are essentially my "guest".

I know that the general rule of thumb is that the boat owner pays for the boat (naturally) and the riders pay for gas... things just haven't worked out that way for me so far. I wouldn't have a problem asking for a little gas money from a "guest" but asking for the riders to pay for ALL of the gas is not a comfortable thing to ask for (yet).

btw, if they invited themselves then I wouldn't have a problem telling them the gas rule in advance.

Thoughts?

Mark
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
Do what I do, I stop at the gas station on the way. When they see the gas bill the usually throw you some money.

Most people who dont own a boat don't realize how much it costs to fill up the truck and boat just for 1 trip.

Then take their money and buy beer
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-03-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
my own personal rule: first time, you're my guest...after that, you pay your way.

now, if these guys are your "friends", as you said they are, then they should understand where you're coming from. they don't have to know all your business (personal finances), but it is pretty obvious that gas prices are through the roof right now and everyone is having a tough time filling up. how about this....next time you invite, just make it a condition of the invite.

you: "hey fellas, want to hit the lake?"
them: "absolutely!"
you: "you think you could help me out with some gas money? these freakin' prices are outrageous!"
them: "no problem, man, I'll pitch in to enjoy the greatest sport ever invented."

okay, I made that last part up....but, you get the idea. good luck!
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Man, most of the time you can out smart your friends. I know that sounds bad but most of my friends throw in more money when I say " hey pitch in 20 bucks, for Food, Drinks(beer works best, but not till after we go out), and gas. Now you have everything that is needed to start a party, after your done boarding and most of the time that brings more people out to ride. Sometimes my friends that don't ride throw down gas money jsut so they can get food and BEER!

Old    murrayair            05-03-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Let them borrow your boat for a week while you're on vacation and tell them to take it out whenever they want for as long as they want (Assuming they are responsible enough to handle a boat by themselves). Hopefully after a week of having to pay for gas they will get the picture and pitch in next time. Or you could get them to subcribe to the WakeWorld newsletter and then ask Dave to put in a friendly "reminder" that it is a good thing to help with gas when you are a guest on somebody's boat.

If those don't work, tell them they can put their wallets in the glove box of your boat when you guys are out on the lake, and when they aren't looking...heh heh...
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-03-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
Just ask ahead of time. Say "hey you want to go out and don't mind chipping in for gas?"
Old    mtb1981            05-03-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
You could install a coin operated throttle that only works when you insert quarters.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-03-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
We have a coconut shell. The saying goes, "If the boat is thirsty it drinks from the coconut, if the coconut is empty, no wakeboarding today."
Old    handyman            05-03-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
I had the same problem. I told everybody that I knew that liked going to the lake that I probably would not be taking the boat out much because tha gas prices were so high and they immediately started pitching in. One of them filled the boat up the first time and he told everybody how much it was, now they all pitch in more than enough and I buy the beer.
Old    lachrimae            05-03-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
haha, I like that Lyle... Sean's wording sounds good. I can handle that.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-03-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
That's a great arrangement Robert!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-03-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
Or jus get one of those "My boat runs on gas, not thanks" decals.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
I think we all felt bad about asking for gas money at first, but we all got over it. Not only did you buy the boat, but you pay to maintain it, you pull it around with your truck, you insure it, you store.

I tell my guys strait out. "The boat runs on gas not thanks, and if you want something to drink you better bring it."

It does work to take them to the gas station when you fill up. Once they see the bill, they understand. The last few years have been pretty much the same. $10 a guy, they bring the beverages. It seemed to work out. This year with gas prices jumping it might have to be $15 a guy.

Don't worry, they'll understand. If they don't, the're really not your friends. Joe
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
You beat me to it Kristian.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-03-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
This year it's going to cost about $12.50 an hour to run your boat. 5 gallons an hour at $2.50 a gallon. For our week long Shasta trip in August I don't want to know.

First time your a guest any time after that you pay. If people get testy about it I don't take them. If we are sitting around camping somewhere in a large group I'll make it a point to let everyone know how much money it takes to run the boat for a day or weekend. They can then determine if they want to help pitch in for gas. If they don't help with gas money, in the morning when I go out to board I forget to wake them them up. Then when I come back in I'll go thanks for the 20 for boat gas Joe. Make sure when you do this they can hear it. They'll get the point.

I did this to a couple, 2 years ago and they haven't been in our boat since. They mooched for a summer and finally I got feed up and told them they need to help with boat gas. They told us they didn't think that was right since they where a guest in our boat. Please keep in mind they went at least 10 times with us. We also used my truck. I would go to the gas station after boating for they day fill the truck and boat and 80 bucks later nothing from them. He went out and baught a new board and bindings and called me up all pumped up. I can't wait to try my new set up when we go out. He's never used his board at least not in my boat. I don't make enough money for 2 families.

They are going to go camping with us Labor Day this year for the first time in a couple of years. They will pay trust me.

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
It's pretty freekin' pathetic that people expect you to pay for their entertainment. I had someone who never seemed to remember their wallet and never had cash. It didn't bother me too much since they didn't have a job either.They rode with me for 2.5 summers. Once they got a job I told them that I expect them to help pay for gas. Of course they said they didn't have any money on them but they'd be sure to drop it by the following day ,That was the last time I saw that person. If you offer and I refuse your money that's a different story.
B-
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
Invited first timers go for free unless they offer to pay their share.

Regulars and mooches split the gas bill.

In the invite, explain that people should bring their own lunch, drinks, and we split gas. Make it mater of fact.

I don't expect people to pay for my boat or my gas. But, I do expect regulars and mooches to pay for their gas.
Old    crowe            05-03-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
Plain and simple, everyone should pitch in for gas. Common courtesy, left over money goes for beer.
Old     (tktige)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
If you feel bad about asking for gas money, tell them to just bring a lot beer or hot chicks!!If that guest only brings enough beer for themself (12 pack)they don't get a second invite. If your putting $50 bucks gas to tow him around a case of beer should not matter to them. Good beer also Old Mil, Mills Beast, Dog Pyle(OLD STYLE)or Shafer's will not get you a second invit.
Old     (junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-03-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
we have a system.

we rotate weekly. one buys gas, one buys food, one buys drinks, etc. since there's usually 3 or 4 of us this works out good.

last week i spent 50$ on food alone. somehow, amazingly, we ate it all.
Old    boofhead            05-03-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
The idea of not paying for gas is just crazy!!

Iam in england, and dream about going out in a boat over there and doing it the way it should be done - I'd pay for gas money and your beer!

I guess some people dont know how lucky they are, over here its queue up on a tiny lake for 15mins at about $30 or so for the pleasure.
Its better than nothing, but the idea of being able to go out on a boat with mates for a day and just pitching in gas money sounds good to me and should to them!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Spoken from the mind of a "good" boat slut:

When ever I ride with anyone, I try to be there early in case they need any help setting up the boat. When it comes to gas money I offer at least $10.00 more than, what I think they expect. That way if they take it cool, other wise they'll let me know how much they want, and I know next time. Also I always make sure to help clean up the the boat (wipe it down, wash it, what ever). What ever I can do to make sure I did my part. I've been around boats all my life. I've just never had the pleasure of owning my own, yet!! So I'm fully sympathetic to what a boat owner goes through. Take it from me, DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO HELP!!! You and the boat owner will be much happier in the long run.

With all this said anyone need a third in the SoCal area???
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-03-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
...and for the moochers who don't regularly chip in reading this post: trust us, you will be money ahead by buying ALL the gas ALL summer rather than making payments, insurance, maintenance, storage, launch fees, tow vehicle gas, etc. I would gladly trade places on that deal. OK, I'm done.
Old    arrowride            05-03-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
I tell people, in a sort of joking way, I'll put up 50 grand for the boat you throw in 20 bucks for gas, how that for a deal? Most people have no problem with helping out. But I have found many non-boating types just don't think about it. After a few times if I still have to ask, no more invites.
Old    huckleberry            05-03-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
My take on this is if I want to go ride, I need two people. If I go after work, I usually just call two people, and I pay no problem. We aren't out there more than two hours anyway. But if alot of people go on a weekend and all they want to do is ride or hang out in a cove, I stop by the first gas station we pass, then we go somewhere and eat. Seems to have worked so far.

If you want to dance, you have to pay the band!!!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-03-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
There are some people that I give a free ride to. My son's girl friend, for example.

There is one rider that I have taken a bunch of times for free, mainly because he is such a good rider that he provides my son with a bit of competition to improve. We were out yesterday and for the first time he bought munchies and actually slipped me $10 for gas! NOTE TO SELF: be sure to invite this guy the day after payday!

There are a few families that come out with us (we also have a houseboat) that generally bring food and pay us back with non boating stuff (I'll trade a weekend of wakeboarding for a nights stay at the snow ski cabin!).

There were two guys that we met from this forum that kicked in $20 each for gas without even any hinting requried. Thanks guys!

Then there have been a few that have had no redeeming qualities and didn't help out. They haven't been invited back.

When I was a teenager my dad put water ski trips together. Near the end of the trip he would pass the hat and expect people to pitch in. In most cases the people were happy to contribute and liked having a guideline for how much they should contribrute.

Rod
Old    nooner            05-03-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
My boat gets topped off after riding. So when we start riding the following day, its a full tank. So we know exactly how much money it cost that day in fuel. We go directly to the gas pump after riding and I top it off. If you rode in the boat and didnt wakeboard then its just balast to me and you dont pitch in for fuel. I get the total amount it cost to fill up and split it between anyone that got a pull that day. Its how I do it. It usually works well. And if its a hot chick that got a pull. I let the guys pay her portion. I know what can I say..I am a sucker for Hot women!
Old    proskier            05-03-2004, 7:12 PM Reply   
first trip of the year is always on me, but after that, its pay up or hey, maybe you wont be going. i had a problem when i first started taking everyone out and then i was just like guys, if yall want to go out anymore, everyone needs to pitch in some gas money. after the first 2 or 3 times i started saying it, they started paying and it has been no trouble at all....

it has even gotten to where if i take someone regularly and someone else who doesnt go all that often the guy who goes regularly tells them to ante up w/o me even having to say anything.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-03-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
Ass, Grass, or Cash. Noone rides for free!
I just bought myself an X-Star and already this year have run into this. My friends younger brother came out for free all last year on my SeaRay and I never charged and he never offered. This year with the new boat and all the extra expenses, I mentioned I should charge like $5 for anyone who wants to ride. My friend said on the way home his brother said, "If Gwin starts charging for wakeboarding, I dont think he's going to get anyone to come out." He just bought a new board and new bindings this year and I guess they are just going to collect dust because Im sure as hellfire that he wont find another wakeboarding boat in Iowa that will take his broke ass.

I dont like to have to charge, what really bugs me are the people who come out to board day in and day out and dont have the common courtesy to chip in. F*&k em.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-03-2004, 8:53 PM Reply   
I also compare it like this:

You throw a keg party at your house and invite all your friends. Do you feel bad about charging your friends for a cup??? Same thing.
Old    upupnaway            05-04-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
Beleive it or not, This is what happened on the first run of the year with all of my buddies.

We went out first thing in the morning, and as usual, I gassed up first. Of the three guys I had over, every one of them tried to pitch in for gas, and I was quite pleased.
To be fair, I only took offer #1, and told the others that they could get it some other time.
Sometimes you get lucky, and have a whole crew of good guys.

Old    cgbaker10            05-04-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
just tell them you have somewhere to go 1st and tell them to go ahead get the boat and gas and meet you at the landing
Old     (azsufer)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-04-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
So Mike, just curious...YOU did buy the boat right?? Cause I know that there are some young 16, 17, 18 yr. olds who talk a lot $h*! and it aint even thier boat. But if it is YOURs like you claim, just tell them $$ or BOOZE.

By the way I rode behind a brand new 23ft RED X Star and is by far the nicest ride I have ever seen...So congrats on the sweet ride and have fun with it.

Kyld
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-04-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
Eric, you are absolutely right. I dont have a boat but I always chip in at least $20 and sometimes more. I always hand it to them but sometimes they dont want to take it (lets say the day was blown out and we only hung out in the boat). I simply say, "how much was my boat payment this month" (knowing that they are aware that I dont have a boat). $20 or $30 is NOTHING compared to what the boat owner is shelling out for payments, insurance, repairs, improvements etc etc etc. I gladly pay it. All moochers should. I assume that those that dont dont get invited back - as it should be.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-04-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
If by Mike you are referring to me, yes I did buy the boat. Im rich biatch! jk. I worked for everything I have, my parents are not loaded. I just figure its about time I have a little fun with my success.

By the way, my friends little bro kicked me $100 today. I guess the bitching paid off! I can kiss that goodbye paying for my newly repaired prop...thanks Baker :-)
Old    beerdrnknboardr            05-04-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
i usually try to put in a good 10 or 20, maybe more, dependin on how much i ride. I have forgot a couple times and would just chip in that much more the next time. Over the summer up at lake berryessa seems like everybody with a place usually brings a good 10 or 20 gallons with em, sometimes more, and we just go out on which ever boat(s). And when I'm using somebody else boat more than ours i just put my gas in to it. Everybody that comes up always seems to be good about gas money, and if its a problem you just let em know how much they gotta throw in. Not always cash, but defiantly equal to or greater than in value
Old    ldurnal            05-05-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
What about the "friends" that always want to go, they use your board, your bindings, your jacket, eat your food, and throw you five bucks at the end of the day? They make it real obvious too, like they're so generous...
Old    stevenf            05-05-2004, 6:49 PM Reply   
make a sticker and put it on your boat that says ten will either get you bucked or f***ed. If they ask what that means tell them no 10 spot and your F***ed.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2004, 7:10 PM Reply   
If we take out a family with kids, we usually pay for all the gas. Sometimes they offer, but I don't mind if they don't. If you can afford a Wakeboard boat, an extra $20 shouldn't put you out of business.

If it is just me and the guys, everyone chips in usually. If they are new or a one timer I'll pay.
Old    larkin            05-06-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
Truth is, some people don't know to pay. If they are newbies, typically, I wouldn't ask them for money. I think being passive/aggressive about it just makes it worse.

Ass, Grass, or Cash? Yo Mikey, VERY mature. Also referring to chipping in for gas as "charging" is probably where the negative perception from your guests come in.

If you are an a-hole about it, nobody will come on the boat and it is hard to board by yourself.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-06-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
Okay Adam there is no need for insults. Ive never been the person to ask for gas money, the only people I kind of expect to pay are the guys who come out all the time. I have plenty of people who come out just to chill so being by myself isnt any problem. And for the slogan, I saw it on a bumper sticker and got a chuckle so I thought Id share it. Cool it with the flames bro. I didnt mean to offend anyone.
Old    larkin            05-06-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
and I quote

"F*&k em."

No need for insults Mike.

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-06-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
If that offended you, I apologize.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-06-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
I dont like to have to charge, what really bugs me are the people who come out to board day in and day out and dont have the common courtesy to chip in. F*&k em. Don't see how that is offensive to a regular third who understands boatwhore fundamentals, but maybe that is just me. The language was a little overboard, but still seems to be common sense. Just my opinion.

(Message edited by canaday on May 06, 2004)
Old    missjade            05-07-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
I have enough people who are willing to chip in more than their fair share for a ride, so if someone doesn't chip in, then they aren't ever invited again. If they ask, then I say, sure, just help chip in for gas. It's not that hard and it shouldn't be a big deal at all.
Old     (leshella)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-07-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
my buddy just bought a new boat that takes only premium, so here's what he's gonna do this summer. Get those plastic gas tanks, that hold like 3 gallons or something, distribute them to your wakeboarding buddies, then when they come out with you tell them to bring it, WITH GAS in it! i thought that was an excellent idea.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-07-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
Not bad at all. Very original. What kind of boat did he buy that only uses premium just out of curiousity?
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-07-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
Filled my boat up today at the one and only jetty gas station on lake Windermere.
$7.73 per gallon at todays exchange rate, and you lot think you've got problems !
I spend more money on gas than mortgage and food
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
WOAH!!!! Holy
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-07-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
yeah not sure if i could afford that
Old     (leshella)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-07-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
my buddy just got a toyota epic x-22. it's a lexus engine, so yeah, premium only please....
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       05-07-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
most boats require 89 or higher octane and most prefer 92 octane. I have a 94 Sport Nautique and there is a plaque that is in the motor box that says it takes 89 or higher octane. Not to say that I haven't put 87 in it but it does run better with the higher octane and I believe this to be true for most wakeboard boats. Its not going to kill the boat running a lower octane but you'll always find the boat runs better with the higher octane. Boat motors run differently than automobile motors at different temperatures, RPM's, and conditions overall. I used to have the problem with the gas thing but what I realized is that I like to wakeboard very much. I invite friends to have a good time and mostly so I can ride. I bought the boat because I like to wakeboard. I can't take the boat out by myself and wakeboard...I need a crew. Therefore I have come to except that if I am going to be able to wakeboard when I want there are going to be times when I have to pay for the gas. There are times when my friends pitch in and thats cool but like the other guy said...if we can afford a wakeboard boat we can afford gas. I understand that people that come out in your boat time after time should pitch in and its the right thing to do. I guess there will be times when people pitch in and times when they don't. What can you do about it....You can express to those who come out time after time that you need help and thats about it. If it continues don't have them out in the boat. But you may realize that if you don't have anyone out on the boat who doesn't pitch in for gas you may find yourself driving around in your boat by yourself...and thats no fun.