Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-07-2008, 12:33 AM Reply   
so im curious how many people are as lazy as i am and willing to pay for storage when we have a big 2 car garage at home.

i do it for a couple reasons 1. my boat is at the delta and i dont have to tow it from santa cruz every time i want to ride. those that dont know nor cal its a 1 hr and 45 min drive over some winding shiaty roads, i.e. hwy 17.

2. its so nice after a long day on the water to just wipe her down lock her up and hit the road home laughing at everyone that i pass towing there rides home. and then you get home at mid night and go straight to bed.

so what are your reasons for paying for storage if you could just keep it at home?
how much do you pay?
where are you stored at, how close to the ramp?

im at orwood resort, "the friendliest place on the delta" i pay $225 a month but i pay a year in advance and get a free month at the end of the year. my unit is 14 x 30 and i dont have to do a thing to my boat, its like putting it to bed. lol.

Upload
Old    Ben Kerran            04-07-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Bryan- I agree with you. I recently moved mine to Orwood and could not be happier. They make it pretty easy. Prior to that I stored at Berryessa in a similar storage (except without power). IMO my time is valuable and I don't get out enough as it is. When I do, I want it to be as easy of a day as possible.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
Looks strikingly similar to my storage unit. It's so much nicer not having to two my boat over Vasco, 680/580, etc. And it saves a lot on gas too. This won't offset the money I spend on storage but its worth my "peace of mind."
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
i have mine at orwoods also, i live in disco but its really nice to have the BU out of the elements during the winter and on my hoist durring the summer, i dont have to worry about mold or drainage problems ever. or theft.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-07-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
im lucky I live in hayward and the D is only 30 minutes away. But I work in SC and man I would say if I lived in SC I would store it close to the D too. That is way too far to trailer. If I had the coin I would store it there too but I have side access so im lucky.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
I must be more lazy than you Bryan. I'm building a garage to store my boat in because it seems like a lot of work to store it.
It'll pay for it self while I'm still alive, maybe.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-07-2008, 10:10 PM Reply   
I am really lazy. I store mine on the water on my boat lift only 8 miles from my house. The main reason - I hate all the retards at the launch trying to launch or pick up their boats on a weekend. I also can go from my house to the boat in less than :15 minutes and be on the water in 5 minutes of getting to the marina.Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-08-2008, 12:04 AM Reply   
nice to see all the orwood crew on here, i know there's more out there, cant wait for this summer. we just got home from the D 15 min ago, great day at railroads all day, one other blue and white xstar with 2 guys wake skating and thats it. little brezzy elsewhere but parts of vics was good.

art, would like to see some pics of your garage build...

lets kick this summer off, dammmmm im ready lets do this delta style, ahhhhhhhhhhh i want it to be 95' and sun shining already.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2008, 1:34 AM Reply   
Boat storage at the lake house, almost finished! Best thing it doubles as one hell of a party deck, gets a little lake view & is two mins from the ramp. Down side is I have to drop the tower to get in the door.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-08-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
I towed my boats for 20 years ,5-6 hours ea way, many times 9-12 hours on houseboat trips. Then in '01 we got our river place, and I'm spoiled now, I haven't towed more than the 30 ft. to back down our ramp... Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-08-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
That's a really cool set up Rio! Of course, you realize the number of palm trees I'm going to wind up freezing trying to make mine look as nice.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-08-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Art ~ yeah, it is a sweet set up.
In six years, that's less than two miles on the trailer
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
man I pay for storage even though I could have it at home, but not in a garage, just my drive way.....but it just takes up too much space basically and gets in the way...especially winter. Plus there is no real reason to have it at home and like you said trailer all the time. mine always sits in storage at the trailer park (lol trailer trash...I'll say it first) where we are.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-08-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nice setups guys!! I wanted my garage back so got storage for the boat. But I did it a little differently.

I bought a second house with a gigantic storage building out-back. I rent the house out, rent half of the storage to a friend for his boat, and keep the other side for myself. So in the end, I have a good investment, a tax write-off, and free storage!

Good way to go, though it is much harder to rent a house out in Central Washington without a garage... but I'd rather share my storage unit with people I know and trust.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
I pay $95/mo for a fenced/covered 10x25 storage. Elect. gate at entrance and fence gate w/ lock. My drive is too steep and would not fit all the way in my garage.. Really wish it was at home when I want to do a project. When I bring it home, i have to park on the sidewalk or in the street.. neighbors love it!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-09-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Store it in my garage now that we live close to a lake. I also have a storage stall rented down at our "delta" where we ride every weekend. Sometimes leave it down there, sometimes bring it home. I like the option of bringing it home as we can ride after work if there is not wind, I can do projects on the boat in the garage, and our garage is climate controlled so no more winterizing.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Man you guys go along way to ride and boat! And hour and a half one way!? I live on the other side of the lake from the launch and it takes me no more than 10 minutes to launch and I'm looking at building about 3 or 4 minutes from the launch this summer. My poor boat has to be outside during the spring summer and early fall but during the winter mom and dad have an RV space she stays in. Of course if I build so will I.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-09-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong, there are closer locations but this is the Delta. I will make the drive for a near guarantee of flat water.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-09-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
just found this shot of my old sanger stuffed in my garage. man that sucked to shove it in there. and then i have no garage for working on my bikes etc.. whats nice, and the guy who bought my last boat can contest to this. my boat never sits outside over night unless im at the lake for the week, and even then i throw the cover on it. keeping your boat out of the elements is key. and im going to have to second what ryan said about travel time. its the dirty D and its worth it. but dude its the bay area a 1 1/2 drive common i can sit in traffic that long and still be 10 miles from home. lol

Upload
Old    tythurston            04-09-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
I could prob get my VLX in my garage but my drive way is straight up hill so I keep it at some storage buildings at my boat dealer and its about 5 mins. from the ramp 2 mins from my house..