Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
OK, I can raley pretty well... and my toeside edge is good. I can do scarecrows and TS 540's... I think i want to learn how to do a batwing..but i dont know how to go about trying it.. Its super easy on the trampoline... How is it different off the boat?!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-12-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
I've been trying these lately. It's mostly about commitment. you're going to take some falls catching your heel edge, or your nose, or falling flat on your back.

Some tips:

Start wide
Get low, make sure your front knee is bent
You have to use a progressive edge
Medium intensity cut, until you get to the bottom of the trough, then load the line by turning your shoulders away
another tip is to watch the board go up the wake
if you do this correctly when you pop just relax and the board will go out behind you
flex your hams and pull your heels down to your butt and that will get the board to go back under you.

There is more to it, but that's all I know this far. I'll let you know as I figure more out.
Old    jpbray            04-12-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
I landed it on my first try and still can't do raley. I tried to do my ts indy a little bit bigger and a little o\a. Then did it again little bit more like a batwing. After 5-6 times, it really was a batwing and didn't take any bad fall. I could do cabwing (sw hs o/a 180 indy) before but as I told before, no hs raley because it always end up like a flip and the falls hurt so much.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-16-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
are you trying to look over your lead shoulder at the back of the boat or tower when you lay it out?

I would like to know more about this, because I tried this a while back and it just threw me into a HUGE laid out TS backroll.
Old     (scott313)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-16-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Curt - Thane's tips are really good, here's some more that might help:

Keep your weight over your front foot as you take off
Bring your knees up and grab your board before it gets away from you
Keep the handle tight to your body, if you let the handle out you'll land on your heels or your back
Look up at the shore line when you land to get to your toes

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-16-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
what ever feels good.. straight legged bent leggsUpload
Upload
Old     (muddyboss)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-18-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
I tried one over the weekend, it felt like getting out there was the easy part, i had the cut, definately got all that thane said (minus grab), just didnt try and pull it in.. sprained my ankle..

I think on my next attempt as soon as it feels like its out there i'll try and pull it back in.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
This is what most of mine look like, but some times I will let it float behind me to where my toes are facing up but that will make it harder to bring back down

Upload
Old    alanp            04-23-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
do you initiate these similar to throwing a ts backroll? just not throwing your head and shoulders back as you would for a roll? or does the line need to be loaded alot more, similar to a hs raley?
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-11-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
When i throw mine, I push the handle somewhat out in front of me off the wake, and this allows my lower body to drift back. Reach for the grab off the wake, and then pull it back down when you feel yourself comming down.

Upload
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-30-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
i got it!!! i landed a few of them and then went out the next day and the first one i did, I pulled my chest muscle and now I have a man boob. definitely gotta stretch a little more next time!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-01-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
Man boob! Way to go stickin' the trick, I'm impressed.

You guys that decide you want a new trick and then land it the next time out make me ill (or wish that I was still 19 :-))