Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-09-2005, 5:32 AM Reply   
I am adding a second pair of tower speakers. Pioneer 6 1/2". All four will be the same size and type. I only have wireing for one speaker on each side of tower. Can I wire these in series , or do I have to wire them paralell. They are 4 ohm speakers
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-09-2005, 6:06 AM Reply   
what kind of amp and how many channels available for the tower speakers ?
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-09-2005, 8:31 AM Reply   
Sony XM1502sx Amp, The guide specs say
RMS 150 X 2 @ 4 ohms,
RMS 190 x 2 @ 2 ohms
Bridged rms 380x1 @ 4 ohms
Speaker Impedance : 2-8 ohms ( Stereo )
4-8 ohms (when bridged)

The Speakers are Pioneer TS-A1680R, RMS 50 watts@ 4ohms

(Message edited by rem_pss308 on January 09, 2005)
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-09-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
Mike you wire them in series-parallel, you can wire them in mono,(all in one channel) and get a little more power from the amp, but watch out cause your speakers can only handle 50 watts nominal power.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-09-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
if you run them 2 ohm stereo you will get about the same power from your amp as if they were ran 4 ohm mono.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-09-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
George: Are you talking about Bridgeing and series the left and right sides, then parallel the two speakers on each side.
I am aware of the power, I had to turn my amp down for just the two speakers.But hey if it is bridged how about a total of (6) 50 watt speakers.
George if this is not what you are talking about, could you draw a diagram and attach it?
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       01-09-2005, 3:07 PM Reply   
whats up mike. so you want to hook up four speakers and each speaker is a single voice coil 4 ohm speaker. If that is correct and your amp is what is listed above and is stable at 2 ohms...then, if it were my system, i would wire up the system as follows. First you want to use a good battery like an Optima Yellow top (deep cycle) These batteries are designed to be charged and drained without any effect on the life of the battery. Second I would install at least a 1 farit capacitor. The capacitor save your system in many ways. It stores power for your system so it doesnt constantly pull power from your electrical syste. It stores power allowing ytour system to always have the power needed to thump. This also saves wear on your alternator. With the wiring I would wire two of the speaker together in parallel. This is done by connecting positive to positve and negative to negative. What this does is take two 4 ohm speakers and now make them wired together at 2ohmms by wiring them in parallel. do the same for the other two speakers. Now run your wires (one for 2 speakers and another for the other two) and run the wire into the amp. two speakers wired in parallel for each channel. If the amp is a two channel amp by wiring the speaker this way the amp will put out its max power without having to be bridged. When an amp is bridged it tends to work the amp and result in increase heat build up..The spec. you gave above says that the amp will put out 190 * 2 at 2 ohms. Therefore each channel will see 2 ohms because you wired 2/4ohm speakers together in parallel to get 2 ohms for each set(pair)of speakers. This will produce 190 watts for each pair of speakers which will then be split in half..95 watts per speaker. Make sure your speakers can handle this. If not you can always turn gains down and adjust either with the stereo or amp gains and settings. Anyway take it for what its worth to you. good luck

(Message edited by zride on January 09, 2005)
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-09-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I hope to have it all taken care of next week. Message board has been a great help again,
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-10-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
I have another question.
I understand that if I wire the speakers parallel, I will be running a 2 ohm load with 190 x 2 watts.
If I wire it series it will have a 8 ohm load.
The question is will the watts be less than the 150 x 2.
Also which load is better for the amp. a 2ohm or a 8 ohm.
I tried the speaker this weekend in series. they sounded great, and the amps gain was turned all the way up. I have to do some mods to the speaker enclosure, and will try them in Parallel maybe tonight.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       01-10-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
Mike, you can wire the speakers in series to get 8 ohms for each pair of speakers. But you would most likely wire in series when you have a 4 channel amp. By doing this you would wire a pair of speakers in series (positive to negative and negative to positive) that would give 8 ohms for the pair. Then when you bridge a 4 channel amp to two channels the amp sees half the ohm load (only when bridge) therefore you would come to 4 ohms for each pair. But your amp is not a four channel amp...its a two channel amp and like the other guy said the other option would to be to run all four in mono. I am not sure how all four speakers would be wired together and what ohm load they would produce. I am pretty sure that when the amp is in mono it is bridged therefor it will run at half the ohms that the speakers are. Another option would be to parallel the pairs of speaker to get two pairs at 2ohms then series the pair together to get 4 ohms all togther. then run that into your bridge mono amp which will read half because it is bridge to see 2 ohms bridged. That will still give you 380 by 1 with your amp. I am not sure how to get 150 by 2 with four 4ohms speakers. Good luck and let us know what the final result is. Take Care. Isaac

(Message edited by zride on January 10, 2005)

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-10-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
Since your amp is rated from 2 to 8 ohms in stereo, you can wire it either parallel or in series. You will get less watts at 8 ohms than the 4 ohm rating. But you will also get less distortion at 8 ohms than 2. You also have less risk of burning something up at 8 ohms.

If you are getting plenty of volume at 8 ohms then that would be a good choice. Since it sounds clean at max volume, you don't risk having a friend who may not take as much care at the controls blow your speakers.
Old    goballgo            02-01-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
Mike
What did you end up doing? I purchased the same speakers and also need to figure out how I am going to install them. I have not purchased a receiver or amp at this time because I'm still trying to figure out what I need. Please soot me an email at goballgo@earthlink.net if you don't mind.
Thanks
Terry
Old    goballgo            02-01-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
SHOOT