Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old    mcbean7            04-09-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hi All,
Just stumbled on this website. I'm looking at buying a 1990 Ski Challenger from original owner, great condition, 600 hrs. I cannot find any info online about this boat. Does anyone know or have experience with this boat manufacturer?
Thanks in advance.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-09-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
Built by Bayliner. Don't spend a lot of money on it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-09-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Agree with meathead. They might have the flattest hull on earth as well. Horrible rough water ride and almost impossible to get a decent wake. I wouldn't pay more than 3k for the nicest one around. Way better off buying a Mastercraft of Nautique from the 80's. The 80's nautiques with the 2001 hull will be able to create all the wake you will ever need. They have also stopped depreciated almost completely because of the build quality, name and wake.
Old    mcbean7            04-09-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
thanks for the replies guys. I do appreciate it. I think I will pass on this boat and move on to something else.
Old    mcbean7            04-09-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
thanks for the replies guys. I do appreciate it. I think I will pass on this boat and move on to something else.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
start hijack
lol, I'm pretty sure the 80's 2001 hulls are starting to... appreciate? Is that the word for 'go up in value?'

End hijack
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-09-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
I don't know exactly where I stand here... A 1989-1990 or so direct drive black, grey and purple Ski Challenger used to be our tertiary boat next to two 1986 Ski Nautiques. In some ways we'd occasionally prefer it because it had a stereo and back then neither of our Ski Nautiques did. I was about 17.

I remember the boat porpoising all-the-time. Any speed above 20 it felt like it wanted to just start hopping. Water would wash over the transom onto the seat about 30% of the time when you stop to pick up a rider. Weighted I would imagine this would be far worse.

Odd note... the only Raley I've ever landed was behind a Challenger... it had an extended pylon.

There's one still cruising around on my lake reliably every year. I'm at a loss for saying "absolutely not" about it because I had somewhat good experiences with that boat. I remember it being very wide (for that time). I don't know... we had fun on it and it ran.

All of that said - there are far, far better options. How much is this boat going for? 3k-4k? Thats where I'd put it.

EDIT - Dan - possibly. Certainly the depreciation on 1995-2006 210/Super Sports and 1982-1989 Ski Nautiques has slowed to a cold syrup drip. With the 210 I understand it due to the lack of wood stringers (READ:hull lasts, what, 40/50 years-God maybe much more?). With the Ski Nautique 2001's I advise people not to spend more than 9k on one, no matter the circumstance. I run the site The2001.com.

(Message edited by juniorhawk on April 09, 2008)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-09-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
I never wakeboarded behind one but I did slalom behind one on occasion and if I remember correctly, the wake sucked for slalom. I'm surprised you can't get a decent wakeboard wake out of it. Jack of no trades, master of none?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-09-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
Dante, that sounds exactly like Bayliner's motto.
Old    mcbean7            04-11-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
I passed on this one. He wanted $6200 for it. Decided to go with an 88 Ski Centurion instead. I think I'll be happier with the Cent.
Thanks to all for your advice.