Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-09-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience w/"Throat Mic's"

Those are the voice box vibration activated radio mics that you see special forces, SWAT, etc using. but have been adapted to other uses. They seem to be popular in Paintball because of the ability to block out ambient noise and supposedly be able to whisper and still be heard by the listener or be heard in loud environments.

Anyway, i want to get some for when we're riding dirtbikes on the trails. One my my biggest pain points is being able to communicate w/my boys (and other riders w/us) while we're out. for instance, my oldest son is ambitious and will take off ahead a bit and will sometimes take a left instead of a right, or one time when we almost got run over by some kids on 4-wheelers going the other direction and it was hard to warn the riders behind us that they were coming. or even little guidance like reminding the boys to look down the trail rather than at their front wheel... etc

I think they'd be perfectly adaptable, but have never used, or seen anyone use them... like this one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-09-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
My first thought was "Wow, they is so cheap you have to try". But I honestly think you get what you pay for with those eBay items. Considering the real deal costs over $500, I would be very skeptical about the quality of a $40 item.

http://www.tacticalcommandstore.com/...ophoneiii.aspx
Old    alanp            08-10-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
i use silynx for work.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-11-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Yeah, A.P. i was thinking the exact same thing.

I fully expected any of them to be in the $500 range and was surprized to find <$40 prices. They look pretty beefy though? good screw down connections to the PTT button etc. There are way cheaper looking ones that get decent reviews on some paintball sites, but i wonder how many of those reviews are like, "ok, I'll give you a rave review if you send me some free mics"

I will probably order the ebay ones anyway just to see how they work out. I'll let y'all know. Hell, i spend more than $80 just taking the family out to dinner.

Alan, i looked at silynx site and didn't see any throat mics. cool site though. maybe i didn't click the right links on the site.

Last edited by snyder; 08-11-2010 at 8:34 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Cool. You can be my guinea pig. Let me know how they work. I went to the eBay sellers website and they offer money back guarantee.... so maybe they are decent. If you think they are good, let me know and I may buy one. I was looking at throat mic for my SWAT vest. I'm getting tired of taking my regular mic/earpiece setup off my patrol vest and threading it through my SWAT vest before a callout.