Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    svfara            09-08-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
Does anybody manufacture twin tip waterskis? (I would like to be able to do wakeboard type tricks on a pair of waterskis, kinda like twin tip freestyle skis for snow skiing)

I was thinking about cutting an old wakeboard in half the long way, epoxy the exposed core and slapping some bindings on...?

I know I've seen the standard trick skis, but they just don't seem right, or I would atleast need to put some fins on them..

Anybody ever try something like this?

Comments / Suggestions?

Old    lakesideluver            09-08-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
dude you read the mind of how many people? i luv wakeboarding but do it mostly "until" ski season starts.....we did try some aerial skiis once (used for ski jumps), and they worked ok? 360s and such, but as of now wakeboard is the jibstyle way to go.....keep me informed if you think of anything
Old    rdierolf            09-08-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
why dont u just take the wakeboard and ride it, not turn it into shis
Old    rdierolf            09-08-2003, 4:39 PM Reply   
why dont u just take the wakeboard and ride it, not turn it into skis
Old    svfara            09-08-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
I do ride the wakeboard now..., but the point is I think a pair of twin tips skis could be great fun.

Just as in snowskiing, Snowboards came along and the half pipes and terrain parks started to be built. At first they didn't allow skiers in them, or frowned upon it. Now with twin tip snow skis parks are open to all.
I both snowboard and ski, and personally I prefer skiing in the park. I feel there is a lot more I can do not having both my legs attached to a single board.
The same thought crossed my mind wakeboarding, just thinking of all the tricks that could be carried over from snow skiing with a pair of twin tip style waterskis.

Don't get me wrong, I Love wakeboarding and I'll give it props for creating a very cool sport (just as snowboarding did), but this just might be a really fun idea!

I'm thinking about cutting up a hyperlite TFD 142.
It's wide, consistent shape and with the quad fin setup I get 2 fins per ski.

Anybody have suggestions on how to shape and seal up the board after cutting it?

Anybody have a beat up TFD they want to sell cheap? :-)
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-08-2003, 5:54 PM Reply   
1. Why don't you just buy some trick skis. I think O'Brien makes some. Are those not twin tip?

2. What kinds of tricks are you thinking of doing with the skis? I'm thinking that it might be hard to get skis to pop off the wake like a wakeboard does.
Old    trickskisrock            09-08-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
I say go with the trick skis. If you really don't like how slippery a standard set of tricks are, you could install or mold your own fins onto the bottom. Something with just a little bit of height might work pretty well.
Another option is to make them yourself. Get some fiberglass or carbon fiber and use a foam core. Wouldn't be too hard to make a prototype version. If you like it, you could make the second generation a little nicer and refined.
Old    svfara            09-08-2003, 7:50 PM Reply   
Good points, I will try to find myself some used trick skis first and atleast give it a try. See if I can get some pop out of them...

As for tricks, anything goes!
Maybe some old school daffy's ;)
3's , 5's, rolls, all types of grabs... whatever

Old    lakesideluver            09-09-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
sfvara i think you just need to wait for ski season, its just a lil over two months brotha, i used to think the same as you and one thing i realized is that the way you hit the wake at a slight angle would throw you off, your thinking like a tabletop and it just wont ever happen, yes its not the same being turned sideways but ive had a great year on the board and ive fallen in love with it, ill take skiing over it anyday but i love to board.....here is an idea to cure your need for jibbing.....start sliding, its fun on a wakeboard
Old    krug            09-10-2003, 8:51 PM Reply   
i hate to fall into the wakeboarder stereotype, but i will. You guys are gay, get off this site!
Old    lakesideluver            09-11-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
jameson just offered more proof why snowboarders arent accepted very well on the slope, keep flapping your arms there jameson
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
Thought #1. I don't think you'll ever get the pop of a wakeboard (even if you use a wakeboard cut in half) without the 'olli' ability. Having the binging set up on a wakeboard the way it is with one foot in front and the other behind alows for the olli creating more pop. There's no way to olli on a skateboard with one foot. Same goes for skies. You might get half the height as a wakeboarder.

Thought #2. If you plan on riding backwards on skies, the bindings will have to be set to where your leg... not foot, is in the middle of the ski. Otherwise you'll sink the back of the ski.

Thought #3. I wouldn't cut a wakeboard, go with the trick ski with some small wakeboard fins bolted in the nose and tail.
Old    lakesideluver            09-12-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
thought # 4 fall in love with wakeboarding until the slopes are open again, skiing is my 1 love, wakeboarding is number 2......only two more months