Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
I have an 05' Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 6 cyl. engine. I know this isn't a good vehicle for towing, but has anyone tried this? I have a 99' xstar (about 21 feet) and single axle trailer. Has anyone tried something like this on short or long distances?
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
my buddy used to pull a 93 sport nautique with his wrangler sport 4.0 6 cyl and it worked for short distances. We never risked it for more than a couple miles. it did fine in and out as well.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
Thanks, Mike. I would think that long distances would be tough. Wranglers are so light that I think I would just get thrown around.
Old     (javony)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-25-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
I towed my supreme V208 with the 6 cyl. Tacoma for about a month. It struggled going up and down the hills around here and stopping was a lil scarey. I wouldn't advise it.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Right on, just curious. I have other options, but wanted to find out any experiences. Thanks a lot for the info
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
should be ok. As long as you have 4wd you will be fine. I hve a 98 jeep grand cherokee and it pulls fine. A little tough getting it out of the water when there are people in the boat, but once I kick it into 4wd theres no problem
Old     (spjc)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-25-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
I wouldnt recommend it but if you do, make sure the launch ramp isnt too steep or you wont be able to pull the boat out.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
Had one pulling my first ski boat, about 3000 lbs, back in 93. It was the four cylinder 5 speed, I really didn't tow it more than 20 or so miles at a time, but it would get me to the lake. Watch the hills and take it easy. The short wheelbase of the wrangler with that much weight is your biggest concern. The steep boat ramp won't be much of a problem if you use 4 wheel low. Just give yourself time to stop.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
The jeeps have a lot of torque so launcing shouldn't be a problem but they are so short that driving down the road can get really squirrely. If your single axle trailer doesn't have brake then don't even try it for a short distance.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-25-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
The single axle trailer is WORSE than a tandem. The tandem will track straighter.

A Jeeps wheelbase is too short for towing a boat. My opinion is if the boat ramp is down the street ok...if the ramp requires traveling at over 45 mph forget it.

It won't have a problem pulling it out of the water, and in fact will probably work better than many pickups.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-25-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have seen at least two (can't remember exactly) Wranglers that were towing trailers flipped in the median of a highway with body bags around them. I am not kidding.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2007, 4:46 AM Reply   
I'm about to start using a 99 Wrangler just to put my boat in and out, towing distance of about 800 feet. I wouldn't recommend ever going much further with a wrangler and anything longer than a 20ft, 3000lb boat...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-26-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
That is about the only type of situation I'd use one in. It will have no problem pulling the boat out of the water, and will be very maneuverable for parking and such. Just don't get over about 20 mph and need to stop unexpectedly.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-26-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
i agree. (above i said my friend and i had done it). to clarify - the boat was in a barn about 1000 feet from the dock. we pulled onto a road and went about 500 feet and turned off it. then to the dock. got up to about 30 mph for 2 seconds. worked great.

trace is right - maneuverability is amazing. such a short wheel base and great for getting the boat into tight spaces...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-26-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
We had to tow my friend's 3500lb boat one day with his Wrangler right after he sold his Scrambler (which did a decent job of pulling). It was down about a 4 mile winding street and I felt lucky that we made it there. When we were done, we just left the boat on the trailer in the ramp parking lot and picked it up later that day when his dad was off work and we could use his Econoline. I'd avoid Wragler towing if you can at all help it. You can get it going in a straight line pretty easily but it will be hard to control if you need to make emergency maneuvers or just a few moderate curves. And your insurance may not cover you if you're towing so far over the tow limit of the vehicle.
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       05-02-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
I pulled a Super Air 210 w/a Wrangler for two years! My Wrangler also has a 6 inch suspension lift w/35 inch tires. It struggled on hills, but other than that it wasn't bad. The furthest I ever towed it was about 175 miles. Wind would push it a little, but I was pleased considering the boat weighed more than the truck!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-02-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
I had to swerve off of the road one day when a Wrangler pulling a utility trailer going about 45 down a hill started to lose it. He was all over both lanes and he just barely recovered. I decided that day that I wouldn't use a Wrangler to tow a boat. It would be fine at low speeds around the launch, but otherwise I would exercise those other options.

(Message edited by srh00z on May 02, 2007)
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-02-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
This issue with towing with a Jeep is less about power and more about the short wheel base. I attempted (only once) to tow my MC 190 behind my CJ-7, and it almost killed us. All of the sudden the boat was biotch slapping my Jeep all over the road, it was scary, seriously. It is also about braking, they are not designed to stop that kind of weight. You can get a Class III or IV hitch put on anything (which is what I did) but it doesn't mean it is designed to tow something that weighs that much. As mentioned previously, the single axle trailer that I had didn't make things any better.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
"All of the sudden the boat was biotch slapping my Jeep all over the road" LMFAO....
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-02-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Wouldn't even do it.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-02-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
I don't even like to take my Wrangler on the hwy.
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-02-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
How about the new 4 door jeeps? I just got one. My ramp is less than a half mile away so I am sure it would be fine (I would never get over 40 mph). I have a F250 so I will probably never use the jeep. I am more just curious how the four door would do.
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-02-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
If your trailor has brakes, and you never go over 45, you would be fine in a 4 door or a 2 door! I wouldn't pull any thing bigger than 21 ft or 4000lbs though!
Old     (orlandonewbie)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
I was thinking about towing with a 79 CJ7 and was told over and over again not to. Plenty of power but the wheel base is too short. I am going to tow with a 92 Land Cruiser 4.0L V6 with tow package. Anyone have any experience with a similar vehicle?
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-02-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
I have launched and retrieved my SAN with a 40's willies jeep with a flat head four with only mild drama. Easy to get out of the water in low range with a little jumping on the bumper, but couldnt stop on the gravel ramp until the boat hit the water. Gets your heart pumping thats for sure!! I think it was too many POP-Bags!