Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-20-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
Hi All
While out this weekend, we saw several boats with riders wake surfing with no lifevest.

Hey guys and gals, Last year we helping in the search of 3 riders, (names withheld because they were minors) who died because of no life vest.

Just a Note: Whats your though? and post a foto of any nuckle head riding with no life vest.

On a Side note. Power Turn Classes are starting. Hahaha

Ric Morgan
www.learn2wakeboard.com
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
personally I (and everyone riding behind my 210) use a vest.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-20-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
I'll say it first....Darwin at work.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-20-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Surfing without a vest isn't as big of a deal as wakeboarding without one, I'll admit I'm guilty of it more than a few times. But it's still not a smart thing to do. Wakeboarding with a vest is a must of course.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
I've surfed my whole life and never wore a vest in the ocean but who does?? I allways were one wakesurfing and anyone who rides behind my boat will as well.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-20-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
DVRed "Pull" on fuel tv from several days ago. My wife and I watched it lastnight and the first thing she said is "Don't you think Parks should be wearing a life vest?" Funning thing is, I noticed it right off the bat as well, and was thinking the exact same thing. Pro or no, it's pretty hard to swim when you're knocked out.
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-20-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
Parks Not wearing a Vest?

Parks is this True?????
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-20-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
AtTheLake nailed it. The stupid ones get killed off, the smart ones survive to propagate their DNA. I always wear a CCGA vest (its the LAW!), and plan on keeping this up.
Old     (amark)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-20-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Is there any particular reason why surfers dont wear vests? I mean i would think that the ocean with currents and stuff would be more dangerous then surfing behind a boat. just wondering.....
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
I fully support and expect folks to wear vests.

Keep in mind it is not always the rider. The rider my be a good swimmer and not put themselves in danger, etc. but what about those other folks riding jet skis or even in boats follow to close that may run the rider over....cannot swim when you're knocked out but with a vest you at least won't sink.

T
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-20-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
you ever try "duck diving" with a vest on?

and a lot of the "tow in" surfers wear them now as well. of course, they are not your average surfers.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
train, I doubt duck diving with my Oneill Gooru would be very difficult, as with most other comp vests
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
I think duck diving with any vest on would be more difficult than without it. I would never were a vest surfing. Heck I trunked it year round till I was a sophmore in high school cause I though wet suits were too restrictive and uncomfortable. Surfing behind a boat isnt nearly as dangerous as ocean surfing imo but its the law and thats the only reason I wear one wakesurfing. Boarding, it would just be stupid not to.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-20-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
Parks can be frequently caught in footage wearing no vest. Definitely not smart, but I've seen him do it many a time.
I always surf with a vest on, but just out of habit of putting a vest on behind the boat. Some of my friends don't surf with vests on my boat and I allow it. There is always a few of us on the boat when we are surfing and the rider is so close that it seems pretty impossible for a catastrophe to happen (knock on would). No one can ride without a vest though even though. That is not a question. I have ridden one time vestless because we left the vest on my buddies boat and I was so nervous that I didn't even have fun. Plus the feeling of your board at the top of the water and you sinking the whole time while you are waiting for the boat really sucks. I think I had a shorty on also which provides some flotation but i still felt pretty nervous.
Old     (boynepat)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-20-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
once i was riding with a wetsuit on and started surfing when i realized i wasnt wearing my vest.. i felt naked and hopped right back in the boat. I feel like if you wear your jacket enough it becomes second nature and there is really no point in riding without one
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-20-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Always wear it when boarding, although a couple of times we've almost gone without it but you usually get one thrown at you if you jump in without one... We've never tried surfing behind our boat because it's a pretty sure way to lose a body part but I probably would wear a vest wakesurfing. I was watching the Endless Summer movies the other day and found myself wondering where their vests were haha, too used to watching wake vids. It seems strange since I surf as well and I wouldn't wear a vest out there (unless I was riding tow in monsters, makes sense then) you'd get hammered no doubt.
Old     (wakelatx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-20-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
We never wear vests wakesurfing, but it is legal here in texas, it's just out of habit plus we sometimes paddle back in when we fall which would be really hard with a vest. For those who said you can duck dive with a gooru I'd like to see you try, my fullsuit makes it harder to duckdive not to mention paddling with a vest on.

Tow in surfers wear a vest because they don't paddle or duckdive and the waves they ride are so big you can get held under for a long time, or get banged up on a reef. So that's a little different.

Wakeboarding on the other hand we always wear a vest.

It's all comes down to personal choice, we don't make fun of people for wearing a vest while surfing it's whatever. Boardies over a wetsuit though, that's kookie.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
"Just a Note: Whats your though? and post a foto of any nuckle head riding with no life vest. "

Here's a couple of me.
Upload
Upload
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-21-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Speaking of knuckle heads, Alliance posted a wear your vest PSA some time ago, but they continue to post up videos of riders without vests... like this one.

http://www.alliancewake.com/video_details_extreme.php?id=4670
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-21-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Not sure what vid it was but I remember after Corey drowned riding, Parks sat there and said "you won't catch any of us riding without a vest again". That lasted real long. Sorry but any pro in the spotlight that rides without is a terrible ambassador for the sport...
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-21-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
Not that I think its right, but...

Here in Virginia, the law is as follows (text taken directly from the DGIF website):

1. All boats towing a water skier(s) or other persons on towed devices MUST have ONE of the following:

a. Persons being towed must be wearing a USCG approved life jacket or
b.There must be an observer on the boat (in addition to the operator) who is in a position to observe the progress of the skier.

So, in effect, a vest is optional if you have a spotter. Of course, in Virginia, I think you're allowed to carry a 9mm pistol at the age of 8, and cigarettes are only $1 a pack, so take it for what its worth...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-22-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
JOS-

I noticed that too, they have a video right now up with George Daniels Wakeskating without a vest on yet they continue to preach that everyone should wear a vest.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-22-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
People who don't wear seatbelts are morons... bikers who don't wear helmets are idiots... guys who don't use condoms are crazy...

Live and let live (or die)...

People need to stop getting so worked up about what others are doing and worry about themselves. My $0.02
Old    joshj095            04-22-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
THANK YOU LUKER.....DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE. HONESTLY WHO GIVES A DAMN IF YOUR WEARING A VEST OR NOT, OTHER THAN LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT DUE TO THE FACT ITS THEIR JOB TO DO EXACTLY THAT. IM NOT CONDONING IT WHAT SO EVER, BUT HONESTLY, LET IT GO. ITS NEVER GOING TO CHANGE.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-22-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
OTHER THAN LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT

And your Mom.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-22-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
It amazes me every day the amount of photo's used in this industry where the rider is not wearing a vest. They are asking for a lawsuit.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-22-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Its very feasible to get knocked out wakeboarding, surfing not so much.
Old    joshj095            04-22-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
Please explain how any media company is asking for a lawsuit by using material that they own, that happens to show someone (him/her) riding without a vest. First off it’s at the rider’s discression, not the media source's. Secondly the disclaimer on every video and in every mag clearly informs you to always wear a life vest. Just because someone rides without a vest or a mag or video shows someone riding without one doesn’t mean that the media source you’re watching or reading condones it. Hint their disclaimers. So please grasp reality. Its people like this that wrap their 3 year olds up in bubble wrap and put a helmet on them and tell them to go play. What happened to being shirtless and barefooted and being sent outside to beat yourself up playing with your friends.

I think it’s sad that we as a society will watch and promote shows like JackAss and Scarred on MTV, both of which I thoroughly enjoy, but we condemn someone for not wearing a life vest. Which at the same time over half are not approved by the U.S.C.G. So give it a rest. Not every situation is that dangerous to the point you have to wear a vest. If it were it would be a federal law that all vests on the market would have to be U.S.C.G. Approved. But since we live in this great country of ours we have an option.....let it be just that.

By the way, John, did your boyfriend buy you that swivel ski for your birthday?
Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
I have been knocked out wakeboarding and so I can like ph, I can say that vests are important for wakeboarding. Surfing is such a small threat I dont think its that important to be wearing a vest at all. Even if you face plant, your going so slow that there is no way you're going to get hurt.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
That's a trick ski.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
I'd go with no vest before I'd go with no helmet, but I still can't believe it when I see someone riding in person with no vest.

But that's the best part of life- you live and die by your own choices, so I don't preach.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-22-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
That's a trick ski.

It's excusable. He's a noob.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-22-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
I hate this discussion every time it comes up, I always wear a vest, not so much for me but my family, would hate to think me being an idiot could ruin my family and mainly my son's life! And I agree vests should be mandatory while wakeboarding. However, wakesurfing is a different story for me. If there's a spotter on the boat your a hell of a lot safer than you are surfing in the ocean by your lonesome, with no vest to boot! I still wake surf with a vest myself, but to each there own.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Wear vests guys/gals. Its not about you, its about all of us and your family regretting we didnt punch you in your face and make you when you are gone.

Surfing is different. Saltwater buoys you. But dont trip, people die surfing all the time that maybe wouldnt with vests on.

You can drown in a bath-tub for goodness sakes.

R.I.P. Corey, and all the Rest.
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-24-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
On Wake Surfing

Last year we had a student who came on our boat for advance lessons.. He just got out of the hospital after having carbon minoxcide poisoning. He's was wake surfing on the delta near Victoria. The boat speed was the same as the wind speed, so it was still air. He told us he didnt even remember falling off the board. He just remembers waking up in the hospital, throwing up every 2 hours..
Anyhow he was hopsitzal for 2 weeks and still has side affects.

Just a Note.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-24-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
If its the law and you allow someone to ride behind your boat-you are an idiot.something goes wrong their family will own everything you worked so hard for.Its not worth it.Its the one rule i dont even think about bending on your behind that platform you wear a vest period end of discussion or your azz will be swimming back to the dock.
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-25-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
do non uscg approved vests count b/c if not then using one would be the exact same thing as wakeboarding behind a boat w/out a vest right? and sorry, but most all the good riders i ride w/wear non uscg approved vests. with any pro wakeboard tournament it is the same, regardless if it is cable or boat with sliders included, none of them wear uscg approved vests either, so what kind of message does that send?
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-26-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Is it really that hard to just put on a vest?
Old     (wake_2014)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-26-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
why would you not wear a life vest? last time i knocked my self out and i was laying face down in the water. i was just lucky there was somebody close by the land when it happened because without them i could have drowned.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-26-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
I knocked myself out and blew my ear drum, but that was wakeboarding. Surfing pretty slow speed, but I guess anyting can happen.
Old     (zak_winkler)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-30-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
I dont see why everyone keeps relating to surfing and wearing a pfd has anyone ever tried paddleing out with one on and even duck diving no comparison to wakesurfing. and salt water is a little bit more boyant but its not like its holding you up. Plus whoever said you cant get knocked out surfing... seriously when you fall and you have a 8 foot board being pushed over the falls that hits you in the head not kool

on another note ya doing anytihng behind a boat neeeeds a pfd its the law
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-01-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
Its their life, they can choose whether to preserve it or not
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-01-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
I agree Andy. I always wear a vest and anyone I'm pulling will be wearing a vest, however, it's not up to me to impose my beliefs on others, they should be allowed to make their own decisions. It's funny, I have always bought only USGC approved vests. I won a comp vest at an event a couple years ago and wear it all the time now. If it weren't for winning it, I would have never owned it but man it's nice. I realize that every time I throw it on that I'm in danger of a ticket, however, I still feel just as safe in it. To make a long story short... to each his own.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-02-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
to josh its called deep pockets when lawyers sue they hit up anyone and everyone that may be connected to causing that behavior. I've seen boat and rope and ski companies pay big settlements for the stupidity of their customers. Be smart from the start wear a PFD always
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-02-2009, 5:14 PM Reply   
As an organizer of Wakesurf events, a member of USA Wakeboard, and an Officer of the American Wakesurf Association; I support the use of life vests for wakesurfing. No competitor may enter the water at a sanctioned USA Wakeboard/AWSA wakesurf event without a life vest.

Personally I always wear a life vest while surfing. No one will ever surf behind my boat without a life vest.

In Ohio children under 10 riding in boats of length less than 18 feet are required to wear a life vest. My boat is over 22 feet in length. While underway, and generally - but not always, I wear a life vest while in the boat too.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-02-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
^^ wearing a lifevest just sitting in the boat is a little extreme haha... to each their own, I like wearing a vest wakeboarding but you can catch me any evening barefooting in just my trunks.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
For those saying not wearing a life vest while behind a boat doesn't affect anyone else they are wrong.

First off if you drown your family will likely sue the driver and/or owner of the boat.

Second tax dollars will be spent fishing you out of the lake and possibly an airlifting you to a hospital where most likely if you wore a vest you wouldn't have drowned.

Also a lot of people's life's will be affected by your actions as Police, Fire, Ambulance, Coast Guard, and other personnel have to drop everything and come take care of you.

It's easy enough to get hurt even when wearing a vest so why increase the chances of something going wrong.

Just my opinion.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-03-2009, 7:18 PM Reply   
CO will frig you up just as much as any wakeboarding crash. I can't believe it hasn't be brought up more. If you are behind a boat you are being exposed to CO and if you miss the first symptoms you will go down hill fast. Wear a vest don't wear a vest. I am wearing one.

BTW, I like that you pointed that out packrat. There are to many me me me attitudes on here.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-03-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
um yeah ur so much safer without a vest barefooting at 45mph+ than wakeboarding...what utter boneheaded nonsense...lol
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-04-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
um yeah ur so much safer without a vest barefooting at 45mph+ than wakeboarding

Like this?
Upload
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
Here in CA, a few deputies/Rangers I have spoken to have said, if you own a boat and allow someone to ride w/o a vest and that person gets hurt, they can sue you for everything you own. The law says, it's your boat, it's your responsibility. It also says if you're operating the boat (doesn't say anything about ownership) negligently, you're liable for all actions in your boat and can be arrested/ticketed/etc.

If they can't follow your rules when in your boat, drop them off and wish them well - you don't need those liabilities.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-04-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
im guilty. i wear a non cga vest wen riding. trying new things i will put on a regular vest. but i dont wear a helmet on a motorcycle and i dont wear a seatbelt either. so shame on me.
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-04-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
That pic is awesome John... Post more if you have em'
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
I really don't think wakesurfing without a vest is all hat bad. I do it sometimes. The way that I look at it is, if I surf in the ocean without a vest why should I have to in a waveless lake or river? the board floats, sit on it. It's no different then sitting in the water with a throw cushion float thing.
Old     (cwfunrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Last summer at our lake house some younger cousins wanted to go wakeboarding. Earlier that day they found vests in the shed (a-10 and something else). They had been wearing them all day doing different things. When they asked me to take them out on the boat I made them get USGA vest from the shed to wear. When they asked why, I simply put it as "If I am the responsible party they will be wearing an approved vest or they can stay on the dock". No more questions.

I ride with people who wear comp vests. That's their choice, I used to own one. But a minor on my watch, no way CGA or stay home.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-04-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Skied in shows for years w/o pfd's on performers for certain acts. There was however always a safety boat near by in case something went wrong. As far as any act with a high danger factor helmet and cga pfd required