Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2005, 2:45 PM Reply   
If you remember the post a while back about the Sanger that sank at Woody's you will enjoy... or cry about the reason it sank. I never saw a reason on wakeworld for sure, but the Delta Navigator newspaper in Disco Bay gave the reason in the "Bonehead Boaters" section. The guy parked "his" boat to go into woody's and eat, People started to notice stuff floating around in the water, by time people saw the boat sinking it was to late.....bye bye boat! The reason....and again if you have already heard this I appologize for being redundant. The guy left the ballast pumps on while eating, The tanks had so much pressure in them the hoses burst sending water into the hull thus sinking the boat. Stupid move right......not as stupid as the guy who let his buddy borrow his boat for the night. That's right the guy who owned the boat loaned it out for the night and his buddy thanked him by sinking the boat. I though those of you who have not heard the story might enjoy it.

(Message edited by nautiquelover on September 08, 2005)
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2005, 3:07 PM Reply   
I'm curious I thought the overflow prevents pressure from building up in the sacs?
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-08-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
Evan: Thanks for the story. I never knew the reason of why it sank. What about the boat? Didn't it have and automatic bilge pump? I guess not. Now I have a good story to tell to one of my Drunk SANGER buddys ( If you are out there, you know who you are ). Its all love for all the boaters out there. But I feel bad for the person who lent out the boat. Peace to all the boat owners.
Old    mendo247            09-08-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
yeah unless somebody plugged them.... or maybe the pressure of pumping the water out for so long blew the line???
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-08-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
Many people install ballast systems with reversible pumps without overflow vents.

Wakeworld's "reversible pump" write up does not include overflow protection.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/Galleries/BallastSystem/Image16.asp
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-08-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
Dumb question- Every ballast system I have seen (I've probably not seen enough) has ports that overflow out the side of the boat that prevents pressure buildup and also let's you know when the tanks are full. Isn't that a good idea, and pretty easy to do?
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-08-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
i wouldnt believe everything you read in the delta navigator, especially in the bonehead boater section. they had a whole article written about me and my friends a month or two ago about all the laws we were breaking and being rude to everyone, well behind the whole story was an angry older gentleman who didnt like us and sent the whole article in. eventually they did post a retraction but obviously the story can get verrrrrrry twisted in any newspaper that has an ajenda to make people look like "boneheads"

mike
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
I've had my hose on the front ballast sack (05 MC X10) blow off. I have no idea why it happens, but it happens. I make sure and watch the bag fill up. It's a crazy idea in itself, pumping water into your boat :-) and it should be supervised imo.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-08-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
Unlike Malibu, Sanger and others. Mastercraft uses CLOSED cell foam the their boats beneath the fiberglass floors. (NOT PLASTIC) The foam adds flotation, sound dampening and strength to the product. It is a extra step that they have always taken and has proved its worth time and time again. A Malibu HAS no internal flotation except some water weenies under the combing pads. With hollow stringers and hollow mounted motor mounts I am not surprised to see more BUs on the bottom. Imagine some of that nasty bildge water just hanging around in the open areas under the floor and hollow stingers with no where to escape.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-08-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
oh please.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-08-2005, 7:16 PM Reply   
I call BS...If they were stock tanks that would not be possible. Once the tanks are full the water would just pump out the side of the boat. It might run down your battery but not sink your boat.
Old    mendo247            09-08-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
TJK: do you know anyone who is dumb enough to by my pos 06 sanger v215... i need to get me a mastercraft!!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
TJK wood floats. I'll keep my V210 thank you very much. If you put enough water in any boat it'll sink.
PS I heard Sangers ride better in chop. There's something more to the story here I could see the guy leaving the ballast on and a hose leaking or something along those lines.
Old    mendo247            09-08-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
closed cell foam didnt help this guy out too much...
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-08-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
Hey I have had the ballast bag on my 2002 MC X-7 pop loose three times while boarding...which is fun...I have also had the bag get so full that the inlet hose kinked since the bag wasn't centered ... If I would have left it on and the fitting poped loose, which has happened 3 times, the bigger sac pump would have eventually overpowered the bilge. Once the battery gets underwater its over for the boat.. The article also mentioned that the people went in for drinks and food, so they were probably in woodys for a while...In my opinion its possible for the sac pump to have sunk the boat, especially since the people were barrowing the boat from friends...

dc
Old     (spiff454)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-09-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
Does anyone know this guy, I want to buy the boat back from the insurance company.
Old    1wakedad            09-09-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
Tate....Might not be BS....I've got a brand new Malibu LSV....it's taking on water 'somewhere' the first time we had it out I notice the auto light comeing on on the bilge pump....BUT....the water wasn't pumping out! looked in the back to find that where the bilge outlet was nylon strapped to the boat, it had cracked open & was just pumping the water back into the boat! This is the same tubing they use on the ballast pumps. Could happen.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
spiff, if your serious the guys on the TMC site know where it is.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-10-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
ANyone remeber what post the one that Ryan put the picture above was??
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-10-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
Mike, stay out of Disco if your pissing off the locals. (My 2 centz) I saw the article you were talking about with the picture of you guys...be honest you were breaking a couple of rules. Don't go all high and mighty if your not. Every boater bends or breaks some rules sometimes. Leave the paper out of it, I just put this post on the site because people were wondering why the boat sank. PEACE.

BTW. The red sanger is hanging in there pretty good with a whole lot of water in the boat.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-10-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
Evan that's an X-2. My point was that if you take on enough water in any boat Sanger, MC, Malibu, etc. your boat will be totalled. How fast a boat will sink was not one of my top priorities in buying a boat because I don't plan on letting it sink anytime soon.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-10-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
ANyone remeber what post the one that Ryan put the picture above was??

http://www.gulfcoastwakeboarding.com/wb2/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2075&PN=4
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-10-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
thanks man
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-11-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
other article said 128 boats were swamped. Honestly i would have put on a life jacket and tried to ride it out on the water with the boat, boat had no chance on the beach. This looks like a bad beach scene on the ocean where someone tried to get too close and bottomed out or the engine quit.
Old     (fasfeat)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-14-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
I would just like to set the record straight. This Sanger did not sink from a ballast pump hose coming off. The machanic that has the boat has instected it and found only that the shaft had been replaced from being damaged and they damaged the packing during the repair or when the prop and shaft was damaged. Our ballast system will not allow for presurization of the tank, causing such an event. We do have auto bilge as standard equipment but the system was not turned on. Just a bad day on the water! $@*& happens
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-14-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
Scott: Auto bilge,Great Idea. I have it but never ever use it. My bilge is always dry so I never think about turning it on. But you never know what can happen when your not in the boat. Ill take a lesson from your bad luck. From now on Ill keep the auto bilge on when im not in the boat and its floating. Sorry about your boat I would hate for my boat to have sank.
Old    walter            09-15-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Scott
I thought auto bilge pump float switches were wired directly to a fused power source. Was it isolated by a battery switch or do your auto bilge pumps have a on/off switch to disable the pump.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
It wasn't Scott's boat. He works for Sanger. I agree about the autobilge thing being stupid. What is so auto about it if you have to turn it on for it to work???
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-15-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
they have them wired so you can run them when you want or have them auto off the float.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       09-15-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Hey if anyone is interested in that X-2, it is still up for auction at cooperss.com. Minimum bid is 20,000.