Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-12-2013, 12:54 AM Reply   
Reason #17: No more cold water enemas...
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-12-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Lol. Nice one, you can literally see it in the guy's face that he's clenching hoping not to get one.
The cold water enema is one reason I started wearing a shorty wetsuit with board shorts over it when I go out.
The water isn't cold right now, so it isn't the reason I wear it. I wear it for more ball padding when you faceplant and no cold water enemas when you fall back.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-12-2013, 8:28 PM Reply   
Surfing will never be better than wakeboarding until I turn 50 and can no longer use my knees...
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-12-2013, 9:03 PM Reply   
That statement is true................. except it's 55 and 2 knee surgeries....
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-13-2013, 4:52 AM Reply   
I can't think of one reason. When I can't board anymore then it's time to take up fishing I guess.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-13-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
"Friends don't let friends wake surf"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-13-2013, 11:29 AM Reply   
I don't have any problem with wakesurfing, but I definitely have more fun wakeboarding, as long as both wakeboarders and surfers are respectful of water space and each other, I think both can be a great time. BTW death to the tube!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-13-2013, 12:12 PM Reply   
We've already got the skiers vs. the boarders in both water and snow. Do we really need to create another rivalry with asinine B.S. like this? I haven't tried surfing yet but I certainly intend to (maybe when I'm a bit older) and there is no way that I am going to "choose" between the two because some douche created a rift between the two sports. I quit slalom skiing because it sucks after you've been wakeboarding. Not because of the idiotic rivalry. Now tubers on the other hand ....
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-13-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
is it not ok to do both...lol...you guys are killing me...Thinkin your to cool one way or the other

heck i even bust out 2skis every once in a while
Attached Images

Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-13-2013, 3:17 PM Reply   
Beats a boat full on dudes...

Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-13-2013, 4:45 PM Reply   
Nothing wrong with surfing...if that's your thing, my wife does it every time out. I personally don't get an adrenaline rush from it...but anyone is welcome to do it behind my boat. Heck, I gave slalom a try last week.
Old    kx250frider617            08-13-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
I've never gotten an adrenaline rush from it either. I mean, when it first started, I thought letting go of the rope was awesome. It just takes way more balls to try a new trick wakeboarding. Seriously, if your scared to try something wakesurfing, you should probably not be behind a boat in the first place.

I live in socal and was on the surf team in high school and paddling out on a solid 8-10 foot day is a crazy adrenaline rush, wakesurfing just doesn't come close in the aspect.

However, I may have to take up wakesurfing more, a broken femur is really hindering me on my progression at 24mph.
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-13-2013, 10:19 PM Reply   
Wow... had no idea this thread would be cause such hate and discontent. I guess my sense of humor doesn't appeal to the masses. Sorry, kids...
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-14-2013, 5:02 AM Reply   
^^^^agree
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-14-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Pad1Tai,
thank you for that beautiful picture!
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-14-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
i personally dont wakeboard cause i got to work the next day and cant afford to time off. so i wake surf. but i dont got to go radical to have fun. i just turn up the marley or the slightly stupid and flow on the wave. its all about having fun. i respect wakeboarding and its amazing the tricks they pull. but i have broke ribs knocked myself out and messed up my knees boarding. work is more important.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2013, 7:23 AM Reply   
^^^This. Although I have absolutely nothing against wakeboarding and I really enjoy watching others, I personally have had way too many injuries over the years. Surfing is for me. I can try any trick I want, fall, and get right back up
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-14-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
It takes way more balls for me to play golf than it does to wakeboard. I mean way more balls.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
50 + and two ACL replacements, guess what I do??? Yup, surf, but I still love to wakeboard, just cant do much now but wake to wake jumps and some grabs, and within 5 min I'm back in the boat, due to all the pains that arise!
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-14-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
Both are superfun for vastly different reasons. My crew and I will continue to do both.
Old     (Rob720)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-14-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
Always get a kick out of how dedicated some people are to directing their fun on the water, "Oh Im a wakeboarder", "I only slalom man", hell some people won't even mess with trying out the other side of the boat when surfing. Makes me wonder how much fun people are actually having out there. Sure some days we will only surf, sometimes we wakeboard, every now and then we will rip on a ski. Hell go get a boom for your boat and try some barefootin! It's all fun!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-14-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
I know that I can be a good bit harsh from time to time but was I really abrasive enough with my post above to result in retaliation? The original poster here sent me a private message calling me a "F___ing greenie" whatever that means. There are plenty of a holes on any forum and I know that sometimes I'm one of them but I've never gone out of my way to specifically attack someone on a personal level before. Who does that? I haven't even gotten that from any of the political forums that I've made the mistake of getting pulled into and we get way more harsh with those posts.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-14-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
Normally our day out will consist of loading up the plumbed ballast, getting everyone a wakeboard session if we have good water. After we normally sack up and surf it out until either the sun goes down or the water gets to choppy to play, depending on morning or evening runs.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-14-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
I surfed (the real kind) years ago as a kid... Favorite sport EVER. When I first got a boat a few years back, it was a priority for me to get one that produced a good surf wake. Fast forward a few years... I rarely surf any longer. To be honest I just find it a little boring and I get tired of monkeying with fat sacs. I almost exclusively wakeboard now even though my body is getting older and would probably be better suited to wake surfing. The only time now I break out the surfboard is at the end of a day wakeboarding when we are too tired for another set, when its too rough for wakeboarding, or when I have some newbies on the boat...

So returning to the thread - reasons surfing is better than boarding:
- isn't as impacted by choppy conditions
- easier to introduce "rookies" and just get them up having fun
- can take tiny kids (3-7 yrs) for a tandem ride and get them excited about watersports
- low impact - good for old coots or young and fit but recovering from injuries

Not my favorite sport, but I do enjoy it... Just nowhere near as much as boarding.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-15-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
Wondering why all the hard core wakeboarders are hanging on a surf forum spreadin the luv?.. Get out of here!!

Or is it just the fact that we have some closet flip flops ready to "come out"....
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-15-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
Only thing annoying about wakesurfing to me is when people on my boat refuse to pump and then gripe about the wake or my compression molded surfboard. Wakesurfing is a lot of fun and only becomes dumb when people take it too seriously, but the same is true for wakeboarding, waterskiing and life.
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-15-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
Geez, another one of these threads. I bought my 1st vdrive only for surfing and I have been having a lot of fun. I started wakeboaring this year and I have to say that I really enjoy it. They are 2 different sports so just have fun out there
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-15-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
I had a buddy send this to me a few days ago....hahahaha
Attached Images

Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-15-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
See I thought this thread started with a funny pic. The Charlie Zulu hooked us up with a sweet one, and the last collage is pretty funny. Isn't that kind of what the whole surfing attitude is like? Chill long board toes on the nose days in the mini break, bailing big on a drop in gone wrong, or getting barreled on the perfect wave? I think surfing looks hella fun, but better than wakeboarding? It's not remotely the same, so who cares.

With that said... The picture at the top is still funny
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-15-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
That's a funny pic. As someone who rides moto, I can definitely relate to that pic
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-15-2013, 8:14 PM Reply   
Yeap... There's a few more bucks coming over from the darkside...

On the wakebored forum..."Your ACL experiences"

LOL!