Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-20-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
I'm looking at a 1999 Sunsetter and the teak deck is pretty warped on it. The boat has higher hours over 1000 but I have been on a test drive on it and it runs great! Does any buddy have any idea what might cause this and should this be a sign to of misuse and I should stay away or what do you guys think?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-20-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Teak warping is a sign of lack of care. It had to get awfully dry. It does not mean the mechanical or hull were not cared for but they never did anything for the wood.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-20-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the back of the boat to show you the teak and what appears to be alot of build-up on the prop and rudder. What do you think. Maybe it sat in water for extended periods of time?Upload
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Someone didn't care for that boat the way I would want them to. Kinda iffy in my book.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
wow - never seen anything like it. I'd stay away also
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-20-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
I would not get that boat. If they did not take the time to take care of the platform, what makes you think that they took care of the rest of the boat?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-20-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Jeremiah, that is the most damaged, worst looked after teak I've ever seen.
Old     (wakemann)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
Like the others have said it looks like they really did not take care of that boat. That is by far the most neglected teak deck I've seen. The prop will also discolor normally if it is not cleaned and the boat is left outside as well. Keep in mind, it does not take that long to clean and oil the deck (only a few minutes). So you know the owner did not take that mush care of the boat. I have a 96 and my deck still looks brand new. Unless your getting that boat for a dirt cheap. Have the motor and running gear check out by a dealer or pay a service person on the side to check it out.

If you do get the boat call the people below you can get a new deck way cheaper than a dealer/malibu also you can get a solid one or one with the access door if you add a wedge. Hope the info helps.

This company supplied and still supplies the teak decks for Malibu:

Teak World
615-444-7269
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-20-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
somethings missing... my boat has a center bracket that attaches to the hull as well to support the middle... that was probably left int he water for a long time and definitely neglected...
Old     (wakemann)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Malibu only put two brackets on these hull years. What year hull do you have Duane?

(Message edited by wakemann on June 20, 2007)
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-20-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Forget about it. Move on to the next boat.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
Hard to give an opinion. Can you show us what kind of wheels are on the trailer?
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
Man, I don't know about that 1. That teak deck is toast. Gel coat is extremely faded, and a very bad water line. Unless it's a killer deal, I'm not sure I would jump on that. It's obviously been sitting in the water for a while.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-20-2007, 10:34 PM Reply   
Yeah I did think it was a pretty good deal but now I am questioning it. The boat runs great and everything works I just get the feeling that the guy never wiped the thing down when he was done using it or took any care of the boat besides mechanically.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-21-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
It has been used hard and probably neglected but for the right price I would not be scared. Just know what you are getting and expect to make some repairs down the road.
I would have the boat checked out by a pro and make sure that everything is solid.

I think it is odd that here are only 2 supports to the platform. I have a Nautiqu 2001 which is super narrow and my boat has 4.