Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-29-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
I've got a bit of a problem here. Our boat sits in the water at the marina, and for the past month or so every time we come over to take it out there are 2 or 3 ducks hanging out on our teak swimstep pooping all over it. It's only our boat because all the other boats are sailboats or I/O's where they can't get at the platforms as easily. And I guess the duck crap has some kinds of oils or something in it because it is staining our teak.

We've tried the fake owl on the platform to no avail, anyone have any other ideas for me?
Old    bocephus            07-29-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
12 guage.
Old    kidrik            07-29-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Sounds like you really need to get the DUCK out of there!

I second Bocephus..........
Old    bocephus            07-29-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
It sounds crazy but tie a bunch of metallic (mylar) streamers to your boat on one of those suction cup flag holders. For some reason ducks hate them. You can also tie some light weight floating balls off the platform, ducks hate things bumbing...If it's a serious problem for you can leave about four jars of Vicks Vapor Rub open on the platform, ducks hate it. I went through all this with my parents on their deck.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-29-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine uses crates (like milk crates) set on the platform with a brick in it to keep it from floating away. It worked for him, he had 3 crates on his platform and I don't recall him ever complaining about ducks/gulls on the deck.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-29-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
Get a rubber snake
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-29-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
I 2nd the rubber snake idea also does your cover fit around the platform. If it does that should stop them
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
I have the exact same problem, and they were actually climbing into the boat last year(which was a worse problem). I rigged up a cover using a tarp, which goes from the platform the the pylon, keeping them from being able to even get onto the platform. Sounds cruel, but I'm also as mean as possible to them, hoping they remember the boat, but maybe then they come in spite. I've considered Alkaselser (haven't done it and it sounds very cruel), just because the poop has left a few stains. Worse part is others in the marina feed them all the time, bringing more and more in......
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
I keep a big rubber snake on my dock it works great.
The next time the ducks crap on your platform, clean it up and put it on their Bill.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
If you get too many ducks on your platform the weight of them might quack it.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-30-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
Musta been a sloooow weekend, if Billy's breakin out his best "duck" material.
Best of luck with the ducks too.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       07-30-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
We used to have that problem on our dock so we made a 6" fence out of fishing line on the perimeter of the dock and left it on there for a week. the ducks never came back.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-30-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode+matchallpa rtial&keyword=owl&Ntt=owl&N=377+710&y=20&x=15&stor eId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
The fishing line works but you have to "duck" everytime you walk on the dock.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       07-30-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
ya, we just took ours down after a week so it wasn't too annoying. luckily i think the ducks remembered it because they never came back.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-31-2007, 1:33 AM Reply   
Staple a fox onto the teak but be careful the next time you climb out of the water :-)
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-31-2007, 6:06 AM Reply   
rubber snake works
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-31-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
had seagulls crapping all over our boat because its not covered, best thing to use is big plastic mesh they dont like landing on it because of the large holes and the crap on the platform is no problem just when you teak sand down a bit and there gone.
Old     (movinfr8)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-31-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
Just happened to flip thru the Barts catalog and saw this......Good Luck!!!

The Bird Repeller
- Solar Powered!
- Lightweight / Easy to Mount!
- Can be mounted on flat or angled surfaces!
- Rotates at 30 RPM's!
- Sweeps Bird Continually - Covers up to 5' in Diameter
- Comes with 3 - AA Rechargeable Batteries for Extended Operation During Dark Periods!

Item Number: BT7351
BART'S: $69.98

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=46276
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2007, 4:22 AM Reply   
I park my boat in my field and birds use it as a perch...unfortunately I have a bird-crap problem that I've been unable to resolve either. Fake snake on tower, parking it elsewhere in the field, nothing. So any ideas on that would help as well...
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Cody, you might try CD's, as in Compact Discs. They need to be suspended and be about eye-level to the bird. Supposedly, the distorted reflection of the bird in the round mirror of the CD freaks them out. It has kept birds from nesting in one spot in my boathouse.

Country Music or any Barry Manilow CD's work best.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-01-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Throw some bread out and when the ducks bend over to eat the bread, Kick them in the quack!
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-01-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Last night, we were taking a late night wakesurfing session out on the local river. Was about 930 at night and we started to notice an insane amount of bugs. So we drained the sacs and did full throttle back to the ramp. Well the ducks never saw us coming until we were right on top of them. There must have been about 25 ducks that had to rush out of the way of the boat. 1 of them didnt make it and we ran it over.

That was to make up for this weekend where 2 ducks slept and pooped on my swim platform. Sweet sweet revenge
Old     (lanzo)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-01-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
I tried the rubber snake... it didn't work.

The ducks pooped on and next to the rubber snake. I even tried an inflatable alligator - that didn't work either... they pooped on the alligator..
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-01-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
just sac out the rear of the boat so its underwater
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-01-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions guys...

rodney I actually had the boat setup for surfing yesterday which made for super easy access for the ducks; swim-on swim-off

I threw a couple rocks at them today and I think that scared them away for a bit, and I'm going to try out the milk crates