Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
I know there are quite a few Yukon owners on this board and was wondering what advice you guys/gals could give in regards to extended warranties. I really wanted to pick one up when I bought it last year, but we opted not to at the time. I just hit 21K miles and I've had a few small issues that have really prompted me to consider adding an additional extended warranty. I know there are several choices out there and everybody seems to be pushing me towards the GMPP Major Guard coverage. With my current mileage it would cost me $2072 after tax and that would cover me for 4 years from today or 81K miles. My brother swears by it as it's saved him nearly $7K in the last couple years including a major issue with a seal that failed and damaged his motor. He paid $1800 for his. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-14-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
It's just insurance for damage and they know the odds better than you. They sell them to make money. If you can handle a hit later on you come out economically ahead not getting the extended coverage. You need it if you can not take a risk of having to fork out a lump sum later. Most people won't need a $2k repair in the next four years.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-14-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
At the dealer I work for we sell JM and A service contracts. If the contract goes unused then you are refunded 80% of the cost provided it is purchased while still under the factory warranty.

just food for thought.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
I'd go with an independent warranty for less money. I'd get one regardless of who it is if you plan to tow and keep the truck for a few years. Chances are you will need a new tranny at some point and that by itself will cover the cost of the warranty you are purchasing.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-14-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
I just bought a gmpp for my tahoe, I only paid 1200 for another 3/36000...but I work for a dealer.
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-14-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Why buy a new vehicle that is going to need and extended warranty? I have a 2002 Tahoe with no major issues. Those warranties are just another way for the dealers to make money. Take the 2000 and put it in the bank. If you need it use it.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
thanks for the replies. for those who are against the whole extended warranty thing, i respectfully appreciate your opinions, but for me personally it makes sense, even if unused. this rig is our primary vehicle and we tow quite a bit with it in the summer, long road trips, etc. a new tranny alone is upwards of $4-6K (at least what i hear). we have recently moved and significantly increased our mortgage payment, daycare costs, etc. having a major breakdown outside of warranty coverage would be a pretty big burden. i guess when you break it down, it comes down to peace of mind and somewhat of an insurance policy. the largest motivating factor for my research on all of this is that when i took it in for an oil change 2 weeks ago (not dealer), they had to check the tranny fluid 5 times. they ended up having to put in nearly a quart! this is not normal, nor did they find any leaks. 2 months ago, i put it into reverse and nothing happened. i brought it in the next week to the dealer and they could not find anything, although they agreed that it was not normal to be down a quart.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-14-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
If you are looking for a cheaper GMPP try this:
Fichtner Chevrolet
Lowest GM Protection Plan Prices on the Internet for All Makes & Models!
406-628-4618 Ext 103

Just say that you saw it on Corvette Forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1731451

Pretty sure he beats everyone around when it comes to these. I had him quote one for me a few years ago and he was about $600 cheaper than my stealership and I didn't buy it....dumb move on my part, I paid $2k to have my tranny rebuilt this past winter.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Just go back in time and buy an 07 so you get a 100k warranty free.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-14-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
I know of someone with a 04 Tahoe LT that had an issue with the on dash computer and the mileage was just out of warranty and the cost was over $500.

These new truck are not the simple pickups your dad used to drive. There is considerable # of electronics, programs, etc.. If your vehicle is anything like mine "05 Aramada LE" with Technology packages then it was well worth the extra 2K I spent to take it to 100K miles. It can cost thousands to fix the electronics on these things.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
heh gangstar, if i could go back in time, i would have waited and bought a burban ltz black loaded. but i didn't want to wait and didn't/don't like the looks of the new yuks so i bought an 06 at a good price. agreed, the new warranty is sweet.

agreed leonard, there is a lot that can go wrong. with the type of useage and mileage i put on this thing, i can easily see $2K in repairs up to 84K miles and if i don't, well i'd be okay with that too i guess. there's something to be said for peace of mind but i respect the money in the bank argument as well--trouble with that is though, i'd spend it. ;)
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-14-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
I got the extended on my yukon denali. It cost me 1200 and is for 4 yr or 85000 miles. When I got it, the vehicle had 22k miles on it. Warranty is now up, To date I have had well over 4g worth of work done on that warranty. It added up quick. some small crap was out of line expensive. Let me give you some examples. Your heated/auto dimming side view mirrors are 750 each. Your rear view mirror is 500 bucks. If you have heated seats, replacing a faulty or broken element in that sucker is going to run you about 1200 bucks. (I had 2 replaced). Short in me electric lock system, well I can't even tell you how much that would have cost. It was in for 2 days as they were "troubleshooting" it. An auto electric place charges 45 or more an hour for that. Then there was fuel pump, alterator, starter, wiper motor, and other misc stuff that went bad.. It is not the major moving parts that can ding your wallet. For me, It was the little annoyiong electrical fancy gizmos that would have killed me. I had a GREAT waranty and am so glad I had it.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
andy? gmpp or 3rd party? if 3rd party any guff given by dealer for not being gmpp?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-14-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Just call Fichtner Chevy and get a price man! I did all of this homework 4 years ago and you will be shocked at the price difference.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
timmy, called ken, he's out, referred to dennis fichtner, left a message. hopefully they'll call me back. thanks for the heads-up. didn't mean to discount your post. hopefully they'll hook me up.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-15-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Bruce, It was a 3rd party. Absolutely no problems at all. I bought the denali from a non gm dealer. I got the ext warranty at cost, which was 1200. Close family friend owns the dealership. With the 3rd party warranty, you have to take the car into the dealership where you bought it to have the repairs done. I thing I got lucky with my warranty though because it covers absolutely everything. The heated seats were a major item and I am yet to find a warranty besides mine that will cover them. I have 3 friends with GM extended warranties and they specificaly exclude the heated seats.

(Message edited by colorider on June 15, 2007)
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-15-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Bruce, I'm with you- the new yukons are fugly. I still get sick to my stomach when I see one and they've been out for over a year now.