Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-03-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
A buddies 04 X-Star had a Check Engine light come on with an accompanying "Trans" led indicator and loud aural beeping. Tranny fluid level is fine, changed out the temp sensor on the tranny with same results. Engine temp stayed at normal running temp (never any increase) thus we feel the tranny/engine oil cooler/heat exchanger is not clogged and working properly. Plus we let the engine cool and then started it with the same results immediately. Also disconnected the battery in case there was some sort of fault set but still same results. MC has an interesting interface between the check engine indicator and the stereo unit, it shuts off the stereo automatically so you can hear the beeping noise. Any other tranmission indicators we've overlooked? Skidim thought it was the temp sensor but we replaced it with a known working one with same results...Thanks
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-03-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
Also,Master Craft said the Trans fault indicator means temp or pressure however we are unable to locate any pressure sensor.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-04-2006, 12:49 AM Reply   
JHG - We had the exact same issue on our 03 Star. It went on for months. The only way to fix it was to shut the engine off and start it back up again, its resets the problem and we could ride again. It often happened when we were running slammed and came off the gas after a rider fell.

Turns out it was a blocked tranny filter/cooler. I think the MC guy, changed the transmission filter, flushed the cooler changed the oil and its been fine ever since.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-04-2006, 3:52 AM Reply   
Paul,

You're dead on with your prognosis. The tranny/engine oil cooler was blocked with quite a bit of weeds etc,. We didn't think that could be the problem based on the engine operating temp not rising above normal running temp. After a quick peek inside the cooler our question was answered. It shouldn't have taken us all day to figure it out but we outsmarted ourselves. Thanks for the response...
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-04-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
No worries mate. Glad to hear you sorted it...there is nothing more annoying than something turning off the stereo..:-))

Have a good one.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-06-2006, 5:19 AM Reply   
Actually, the Trans indicator is still beeping/on despite our having cleaned out the cooler. Now we're puzzled. MC told us the Trans indicator is only for temp so why does it come on right away after having sat all night? He also said there might be a lose wire within the system that is making the fault come on. Very annoying....
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-06-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
OK, thats strange. Is it on all the time? Ours would only come on from time to time, once we came off the gas.

The only thing i can think is that its logged the fault and its needs to be reset. I can only suggest disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, it may clear it.

If not, it will have to be taken to an MC dealer who can plug in the management device and have a look at the fault. Good luck and let us know hows it goes.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-06-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
Thanks Paul, we have unhooked the battery however I don't know if that has been done after we cleaned out the cooler. The MC dealer said the indication should go away when the temp is back in range and that there isn't a fault code. Taking it to the dealer is a pain because they aren't close by however it's starting to look that way.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-07-2006, 12:53 AM Reply   
Did you change the tranny oil? Is it possible its old and causing the fault? How many hours do you have on it?
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-07-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Just over 50 hours. I can't imagine that's the problem because the light comes on immediately after starting. I'm surprised no one else has jumped in and made a comment. Are there that few X-Stars out there or is this problem that rare? Thanks for the concern...
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-07-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Yea man I PM'd you about it, the same thing happened to me this weekend. The boat never ran hot or felt any different driving. For future note, the boat will not start with the trans pressure sensor disconnected nor the temperature sensor. I assume that is a fail safe the computer uses to protect the unit. That being said to get through the weekend without shooting myself the tiny speakers that drill that high pitch beeping into your skull are located right under the dash. Not so much in plain sight but easy enough to disconnect via the quick connects they use. Still looking for the location of this heat exchanger. If anyone knows drop me a line. Matt Anderson
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-07-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
Matt,

We disconnected the high pitch beeper as well with the consent of the MC folks. To find the heat exchanger look just under the port-side riser. It should have a raw water intake tube connected directly to it providing you have the 8.1L. You should also see 4 flex hoses (2 for motor oil cooling and two for tranny). We disconnected the flex tubing from both ends, cleaned it out and blew through the intake tube to make sure nothing was in that as well. There should be two electrical connections on the transmission, the brass one is the temp sensor and the other is the neutral position sensor. I have not heard of any pressure indicators on the tranny and was told by MC the TRANS indicator is temp related only. Our boat will start right up and run all day unlike yours.

JGates
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-07-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
Ahhhhh I assumed one was for pressure and one was temp. I was messing around with starting the boat with them disconnected and that is when it wouldn't turn over. The boat runs fine (albet light and LED blinking Trans) with them connected and with those speakers disconnected. Thanks for the location of the exchanger I have the 8.1 and i'll for sure try that. Thanks again man and let me know if you find anything more out about this problem. Matt
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-08-2006, 4:51 AM Reply   
Matt,

Our symptons are identical. Did you happen to notice that your stereo cuts out briefly when the TRANS indicator comes on? Must be an interface so that you hear the warning. The next thing we do in attempting to cure this pig is to remove the cooler and flush it good. MC believes it may be a short somewhere in the wiring. We'll keep you posted.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-08-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
For sure man the stereo will cut out right after we start the boat and remain off for about 2 min then come back on and just the light and LCD blink (after disconnecting the speakers of course). I've put the boat up till this thursday so let me know how it goes. I'm not to worried since we are about to get our '07 on the 23rd, but with our lake so low it will be good to know if it happens to me again. Cheers, Matt
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-09-2006, 3:53 AM Reply   
Matt,

I love your solution, sell the 04' and pick up an 07'! Wish we had the luxury of pulling that off. Make sure you post a pic in your profile. Again, we'll keep you posted. jhg
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-09-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
Ha well MC made us a hell of a deal on the new one since we have been having a bitch of a time with the '04. This problem was just the last of a butt ton of problems. The only reason I wasn't too worried about blowing this thing up it that it's going back to the factory soon enough. Though the lake I live on is about 5 feet down right now so I can see us picking up debris till it comes back up. Nice Launch BTW, and if you don't mind me asking what do you do in the Navy? Matt A
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-10-2006, 4:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for the cudos on the Supra. It's certainly not as big as an X-Star however the wake is real nice with some additional ballast. I've been real fortunate thus far and haven't had any issues with the boat. As far as the Navy, I used to fly off of carriers now I'm just a staff puke spending time in upstate NY as a Navy Liaison to the Air Guard. Life is good feet dry! I've made too many deployments and retirement is close on the horizon. Joe G
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-10-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
I am not familiar with your engine however is the temp sensor you replaced a mechanical connection? In other words do you screw it into the engine or transmission. I have read other posts regarding a faulty sensor and it turned out that the threads were corroded and/or they used teflon tape which would not let the sensor see a proper ground.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-10-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Thanks TR. The temp sensor is how you described it plus it has two electrical leads to it. We'll pull it, clean it up and replace to see if that is of any help.