Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-20-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
No harm meant and I don't want to start a war. And to help you understand why this ? arised.... I am trying to convince the wife to let me purchase a new boat, whether brand new or w/i 3 yrs or so. I have narrowed my search to either a newer Supra or Malibu. I watch the classifieds pretty close and can't help but notice.... This is prime season, why all the Malibu's up for sale? I can understand a few here or there -- but go check out the classifieds -- the last 7 boats are BU's. What's the deal. Some are basically brand new... Am I missing something?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
Josh its simple Bu sucks ! They're not built to last more then a year.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-20-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
its possible they all want news ones, and this is the time to sell. Used is the way to go anyway unless you're rollin in it or want a 15 year loan on a 60K boat, and sell it in 2 years for a 15K hit , right? You can get a great deal on an 04, or 05 right now, especially if they have a new one on order. Or already have the new one like the guy I got mine from.

Good luck with your purchase.

This one is sick

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=9381

and this one

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=9384

then possibly save yourself 20K and look into this one...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/347167.html?1153317689
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
OR they produce so many more boats than other manufactors <sp?> ...

When I was looking at buying, I couldnt find a cabria, geeko, or mb sports -- reason? They only make like a tenth of the number of boats malibu and mastercraft pump out!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-20-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
if most of them are almost new, it's possible they're for sale because the owner is upgrading to an '06 or possibly even '07. also, since malibu is the #1 boat (by units sold) in the industry, there's bound to be more bu's on the market.

my boat is for sale in the classified for the reasons mentioned in the ad. also, our lake in down 4 feet and our boat lift is no longer usable. because of this, lately we've only been able to use the boat once a week at the most (all of the boat ramps on this lake absolutely suck), so we just can't justify letting a $50k boat sit. if it sells, i will be looking at much older, much cheaper v-drives with a malibu sunsetter vlx being on the VERY short list. secretly, i'm hoping the boat doesn't sell because i will really miss it when it's gone. not one single mis-start, not one single problem that couldn't be fixed with a cleaning towel and some elbow grease. if i had a the choice of a new boat all over again, knowing what i know now, i'd buy another VLX without any hesitation whatsoever. the boat was made for me; the price tag, however, was not
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
I guess Malibu is so innovative that people just want the new stuff! I have had 3 BU's, all LSVs (03, 04, 06). 03 to 04 was a major hull redesign. 04 to 06 was the power wedge and precision speed control and fly-by-wire. Also, they seem to hold their value. At least in our part of the country. Already thinking about an 07 or 08.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Simple answer is that they make more of them than Supras.

I've owned MC and now own a CC. For me, if I was looking at a new boat today, I would look only at MC, CC, Malibu, and Sanger. Best boats and the best value boat out there...
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-20-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
oh, and i know shane's selling his '05 VLX to upgrade to an '06 (or maybe an '07?). i bet he's already got the colors and options picked out
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
It's not hard to hold value when new boats rise in price 8 - 10 % each year. I got such a good deal on my boat, i am trying to decide if I want to try and sell it and buy an 06 or 07. I've been gravitating towards the whole 'x1' mastercraft thing.... hummm....

My 'bu is hot though and I heart it - but anytime you can profit, well ... :-)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
I go with the "build the most, thus the most for sale" theory.

There are sooooo many people that turn their boats over every year or every other year, that is just how it works out.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-20-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
well thanks for the replies -- maybe it is literally that simple -- just seems wierd to me, being in the middle of the season...
Old    ilovetrains            07-20-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
I keep seeing a lot of new boats for sale because people end up buying more boat than they can afford. Since Malibu sells more boats, you see more for sale.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
I'll be honest, paying 400 bucks a month + storage for five months of NO use doesnt appeal to me -- and honestly - if I can make money, why not sell and buy at the beginning of the season! Right now is the time to sell because you can still get two or three months of use out if it! :-)
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
Mine's not for sale and won't be for a long, long time. Great boat, and a pleasure to own.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-20-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
my supra will be for sale in 1-2 wks, my wife talked me into a new donzi, i think we are going to change pace for a year or two, i love my supra they are great boats and i will be selling mine for a very good price
2006 24 ssv loaded
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-20-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
I sell my Bu's every 2 year, and yes I am going to an 07. I also sell my duck boats every couple of years. I just like my boats to stay new. Yes, Jeff, I do have my next colors pretty much picked out. Don't sell it, I will trade it next spring, although, with those colors, I should do Ok.

(Message edited by auto on July 20, 2006)
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-20-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
i got an 06 vlx w/ 100 hours tht will be for sale soon. 07's coming in next shipment and there is always the people who flip every year. our dealership has atleast 5 customers that do. also promo boats and school boats are going up for sale now as well. my dealership ran out of 06's so we are now selling off the demo and our employee/ owners boats as well. they go fast when you can't find them. i just don't want to sell till I have another to use at will.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2006, 12:42 AM Reply   
KG,

I was ready to blast, but I looked at your profile, and realized you were joking. Just about ready to open up a can... j/k

I have 450 hours on my 05 VLX, and virtually zero problems. I will probably get another VLX, but no rush. Seems like a big investment with my stereo stuff, etc. Like others have said, there are probably more Bu's out there, so there would be more for sale. Plenty of MC's and CC's for sale too. I would be willing to bet that the majority of people selling Bu's are replacing them with another Bu.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-21-2006, 6:07 AM Reply   
it's just hard for me to fathom that people turn over boats like that, from the financial standpoint. i don't know of a boat that i could buy, use for a yr and not take an enormous hit on. i have friends that either own or work for just about every boat mfg and i see it every day-- people upside down! thanks for all the input...
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
I think Shane Auto said it right. A lot of people buy a new boat every other year or every year. You won't see me doin that because you have a forever payment and never have one long enough to pay it off. I have heard of people who do it so they can get the latest, greatest options and upgraded technology as it changes from year to year, and I can understand that. sometimes, I wish I would have waited a another year before I got mine, because the year after, the options selections expanded and offered some really nice stuff. but, so it goes.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Joshua,

Usually if you are flipping every year or 2 years, you have a VERY good relationship with the dealer and your deal is better than average. Not that you may not still take a hit, but not as bad as you would think.

Then again, some people write off the cost(mentally, not on their taxes) as entertainment and consider it a wash.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
Could be the same people that tow their boats with a Hummer or F-350 and have a lamborghini or ferrari sitting in a garage. Not trying to put them down, just saying they live on a whole other income class from me and play by different rules.

(Message edited by sloshake on July 21, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Pretty sure people are just stepping up to the plate and getting out of their starter boats and into MC's.

hahahahahaha! LOL
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Dang Evan ! I did it backwards then ! I went from a MC X1 to a VLX ? Im so stupid !!! I cant believe I downgraded myself
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Simply, Malibu owner's are so proud of their boats they want other people that want used to be able to buy a great boat. Wakeboarders helping each other out! The way it's supposed to be. I'm on my second Malibu and they both have been best I've owned out of 7.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-22-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
i will prob always buy supras, but i don't think i would look at bu's b/c there is always someone on here complaining about there bu, much more than the other companies, there has to be something to this
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
maybe because about 40% of the boat owners on this site own a bu? compared to the 1-10% that own a supra, sanger, cc, etc. and the 20-30% that own mc's. malibu, from all i've seen, has the highest percentage of repeat buyers (in fact, it's almost cult-like)...there has to be something to that

oh, and if you want to find problems with supra, go to wakeboarder.com; they've got plenty. honestly, in my opinion, it's almost a compliment when i see a boat problem thread. ALL boats have issues from time to time. most people keep the problems to themselves because they don't want to deal with the inevitable "you should have bought a ______, your boat sucks" response. bu owners (and supra owners, for that matter) aren't as insecure about their decision, so they don't try to hide it everytime a common problem occurs. they just want to get their pride and joy back on the water and 100% as soon as possible, so they have no reservation asking for help
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-22-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
easy jeff, i was just pointing something out, i did not say they were bad boats, and where is you source for all your numbers
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
I didn't think I came off as that upset, all I was doing was making a few counterpoints (I even applauded Supra owners); oh well, that's the internet for you. My bad.

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/allusers.cgi?simple=0&dsp=login&dsp=var10&sort=var 10&os=0&period=0&ml=25&sa=1&srch=login&str=

I've seen my share of profiles on ww.com, and I wouldn't be suprised if there are close to as many bu owners as all the other wakeboard specific boats combined (excluding MC). Not saying they are better by any means, just the highest market share, especially in California and Texas, where most people on this site are from.

(Message edited by jcv on July 22, 2006)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
I still own my bu, and will for a while.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
I think the reason I keep buying BU's in general besides the quality of boat is the dealer. In 5 years, i have never been w/o a boat on the weekend. The level of service is well, exceptional. Just nicely stated right here.

http://www.waterskiamerica.net/AWARDS.html
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-22-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
I have had 3 boats in the past 8 years. I buy a new one every 3 to 4 years. 2 out of the three are Malibu's VLX. I currently have a 06 VLX and in 3 to 4 years I am sure I will buy another one. I do the same thing with cars and trucks. I like new stuff. I work for my money and I spend it on things I want. Malibu's are great boats and that is why I buy them.

Here is an example to chew on. I owned an 03 VLX bought it for $43,500 in the middle 02. Used it for 3 1/2 years and sold it for $37,500. in the winter. I could of gotten 40,000 or more if I would of sold it at the beginning of summer. Thats resale value. Try that with some other brands. Malibu are what a lot of California boat owners have, because Malibu is made here and in my opinion their quality stands out above the rest of the other boat manufactures here in California.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
dayum brannon, in my best chad white impersonation "don't you wish you could afford an x-star"
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-23-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yes I agree they build more MC'S and BU'S than other boats. My local MC,BU dealer still has 04 and 05 boats with no hours on them. It happens to them every year. I don't think building the boats is the hard part it's selling them. After a boat is that old they don't have much of a choice other than make a screaming deal on it or give it away to a charity as I've seen them do before with a v-drive BU.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-23-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
brannon, i had my last supra 2 yrs, sold in jan. for 2000 less than i paid new, put 200 hrs on it, now i did get a good deal when i bought it which is key
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-24-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
Supra for me, I agree with you. I made money on my Ski Centurion Falcon. It was my first boat. I bought it from this guy that lost his job, got a DUI, rent was due and his truck broke down. I payed 10,000 for his boat and sold it 3 years later for 11,000 after I put some big hours on it.

That really wasn't the case with the Malibu for me. I paid the same price pretty much everyone else did for that year. Buying new you really only get a decent deal if any.

Boat I have bought as well as boats my Neighbor has bought, there is always little problems that need to be worked out. Every brand of boats has there issues of problems.