Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (swimnski9)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
I have a question. My extended family is looking at buying an 08 MC x-15 for our family lake house. While my brother sister and I are big into wakeboarding, the rest of the family wants nothing to do with the tower. Does anyone have any experience with removing the entire tower off a new model mastercraft and just leaving the mounts on the boat. I'm not so much concerned with how difficult this is as opposed to what the mounts look like that are left on the boat. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
order a maristar version with out the tower, they call it a MS 215. Most dealers don't keep them in stock though.
Old     (swimnski9)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
I should clarify, when my brother and I are using the boat for the two weeks we are up there, we want to put the tower back on. We only want to take it off when we leave so the rest of the family can pull it into the left with a cover.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-07-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
i have a 08 X-15 and went through the same issue with my family. The tower is large, heavy, and difficult to fully remove. I assume your asking if it can be removed and put back on depending on who is using the boat. It can be done but liek i said, difficult to say the least. Not worth the time. If i were you i would figure out a different option or different boat. Or in my case- find a way to make the rest of the family deal with it. haha good luck
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-07-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
It's a lot harder than you'd think. Those towers aren't light. We had to get a hoist to get ours off. Maybe try and swing them towards a maristar version, or an x-9 or something with a mini tower that they can ski from. it opens up more room in the back, while keeping the ski pull low, and they wouldn't have to bother with removing the tower.
Old     (wake402)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-07-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
That's a shame to hear your family isn't a big fan of the tower. But if you are just going to take the tower off of the boat anyway, maybe suggest they look at the MariStar 215. It's the exact same size and holding capacity. If you go on Mastercraft's website, you can compare both of them and they look pretty comparable minus the tower of course.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-07-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
It has to hold the bimini!
Old     (swimnski9)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
I tried the bimini excuse, it didn't work haha.

What we're thinking is that when we go to use the boat for the 2-3 weeks we are up there, my brother, dad and I will put the tower on. our dealer says with three of us and no lights or speakers, we should be able to do it. Then, when we leave and it's time for my aunts and uncles to go up to the place, the three of us will again take the tower off.

The families biggest objection to the tower is that the boat won't fit in the lift with a canopy top.

The concern is what is going to be left on the boat when the tower is off? What do the mounting plates look like?
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-07-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Wouldn't it be easier to modify the canopy on the lift to accommodate the tower? Just add some extension poles to make the canopy higher.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-07-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
is raising the lift cover an option?
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
If you are only going to use the tower for 2-3 weeks a summer, then maybe you should look at a boat where you could just slip on an extended pylon. There is no difference when riding behind the two. You can easily put it on and take it off by yourself.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-07-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
They are actually really easy to take off. I put my tower on my X-Star by myself 2 years ago and that was with 4 tower speaker and lights.

The side arms of the tower are only held together to the tube part with a couple of allen heads screws, so you can take each one of them off individually. I am not sure if the X-15 is the same as the X-Star but on the X-Star the piece with the lights and speakers is it's own section, so you can lift that off individually as well. It's really not a big deal.
Old     (swimnski9)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone! Travis, the towers are the same. Do you remember what the mounts that were bolted on the boat looked like before you put the tower on?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-07-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
They are just the aluminum pieces that the black round knobs screw onto. I would think you would want to leave those on instead of completely taking those pieces off. They aren't big.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-07-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
You will need two biminis though. Unless the Aunts and Uncles/ or you don't need one.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-07-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
probably be best to buy the maristar and but a v drive extended pylon.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
Pretty easy to take off, I can take the tower off my X1 by myself in 10 minutes. But the real issue here is convincing your family to leave the tower on. Don't give up yet! Seeing a tower-less X15 would probably ruin my day- think of the innocent bystanders you'll be hurting by taking the tower off.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-07-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
I suggest finding a new family.......just joking. I have always found that where there is a will there is a way.If you want to have the tower that bad then the effort will not bother you. However, my family did not like the tower at first but now they are all into it. Bimini, racks. they will get used to it as long as they dont ever have to fold it down
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
How about a Power Tower?

Click the link on the bottom of the page to see the video.

Murphy's latest invention.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
I just found out that Murphy is licensing his invention to another tower manufacturer.

http://www.conquestwakeboardtowers.com/
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-08-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
If I had paid what I have paid for my MC... I dont think I would be taking the tower off...

Sean
H2O Pro Accessories
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
Don't tell that to the guys at 13th Floor or Samson. Seems like they make a lot of money replacing the bouncy MC towers.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-09-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
well that's a different story. They did it so that they can actually sell product.

Sean
H2O Pro Accessories
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-09-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
Kyle,
Give it a week or two and the rest of the family will fall in love with the tower. I find the tower functional and practicable, leave it on and tell them to enjoy it. Who's boat is it anyways?
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-11-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Kyle,
if you need to get rid of the tower I have an extended pylon and i live in akron.