Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-14-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Need to add some life to my teak platform. Any one have some suggestions on the best thing to use and the best way to get the color back to life?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
Star Brite 3 step process

cleaner
brightner
oil

Upload
Upload
Old    kidrik            03-14-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
Aaron, did you do any sanding? Looks good.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-15-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
13 year old platform, no cleaner, no brightener, just lightly sanded and used Watco Teak Oil at the beginning of each season with a touch up mid summer usually.

Upload
Upload
Old    kidrik            03-15-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
Razz, what grit did you use? By hand? That looks unreal!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-15-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
I did not do any sanding. It is easy spray the cleaner on and rinse it off. Same thing for brightner. I apllied the oil with a foam brush.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-15-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
When i do sand it i use 220 lightly by hand with a block. You never want to sand teak with too fine a grit as it seals it and it doesn't absorb the oil as well. I put on 3-4 coats depending on how worn it is.

(Message edited by razzman on March 15, 2008)
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-15-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
I switched to TeakGuard after 2 seasons of just using teak oil. I am super pleased with the change. Here are some before and after pic's

Aqua

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-15-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
Aqua - in that second picture, is that after you sanded the swim step? If so, what grit paper did you use?
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
Stopped by west marine. Decided to go with a stain finish rather then a polish. Just take a wire wool pad with sand paper and finish it. They told be to do a fine sand because it maintains the natural shine that teak brings out. Is this correct?
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-15-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
Nice Razzman and Aqua. Love the teak
Lets see more
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-15-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
Matt do NOT use steel wool. Use brass wool or bronze wool only the steel wood shardes will in bed in the wood and rust.
In the past I tried the finer sand paper and all I did was make the platform VERY slick when wet. I used 80 grit paper and brass wool to open the pores so I could get all of the dead sh8t out. The Teakgaurd stuff came with the wool and a brush and the cleaner and the finishing coat. I was really impress how a lot of elbow grease and sanding work. The Teakguard still looks like to last pic and thats after the last half of the summer and us sliding off the back with the boards on.
}}Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
Aquaholic, thanks for the advice! Did you use a stain on yours or an oil? What kind did you use?
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-17-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
I used a product call TeakGuard, and its neither. TG is a polymer, do a google search and call the guy who invented it super cool and very knowledgeble. I like it..........