Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (bigballin)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
Can someone give me a break down of the lakes in Phoenix? I am moving down from Flagstaff and I have always gone to Roosevelt or Powell because they were just as easy and less crowded. Which lakes if any have good water? Oh and I have a boat but no friends down there yet so if you need a pull let me know.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-28-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Do a search - this has been covered a few times. But in a nutshell...

Pleasant - hard to find decent water, water is clean, big party scene at Humbug Cove

Saguaro - usually some decent water in the mornings/late evening. Water is pretty dirty.

Bartlett - often good water but ramps are closed at the moment due to low levels. Launching from beach only (4wd a must) so probably some good conditions.

Someone else can chip in about Canyon and Apache.

Cops are pretty vigilant on Pleasant and Saguaro so play nicely!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-28-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
Canyon is about the same as Saguaro. Sometimes less crowded. I have heard good things about apache but have only been there once.(when I was about 8 yrs old)
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-28-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
Apache is the best lake around here but hard to get to. It is a big lake and you can usually always find good water.
Old     (bigballin)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-29-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Brett, how far of a drive is Apache from Scottsdale area?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-29-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Just an update but I believe a bunch of swimmers got sick in Canyon Lake. Here the only thing I could find:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/87111

It reminds me of Lake Elsinore.

Dylan, I have never been to Apache but It's supposed to be a crazy drive. Narrow and not very safe.
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-29-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
The drive from scottsdale would be around 2 hours or a little less. The drive is crazy the road turns dirt a little after canyon, The road was an old wagon trail so it is really narrow and not very safe. If you take it slow and are experienced at towing you will be fine. It helps to have 4wheel drive too. It is worth it though the water is usually always glass and no crowds.
Old    bocephus            04-29-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
http://groups.myspace.com/azwakeboarding
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-29-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
Went to Pleasant today and the best area for 'boarding is closed due to eagle activity. The rest of the lake would have been useless today.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-30-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
Peter - there is always decent water to be had but you need to know the coves and where to go. After 5 pm last night it was butter in front of the dam for our last set.
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-30-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
We went to Pleasant yesterday - started about 8AM. We found calm near the channel that is blocked off due to the eagles. Water got rough about 10 or so when boat traffic picked up. All in all a good day. Did you guys happen to see the 1/2 submerged boat in Humbug? What's the story there?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-30-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
Went to Roosevelt yesterday because Saguaro had the overflow parking going on. I asked my buddy that was next in line to get out (in the overflow), and he said he had been there for 2 hours waiting to get out. LMAO!!!

We got out of line and just headed up to Roosevelt. It was Butter over the entire lake. MILES and MILES of butter water..
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-30-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote: Did you guys happen to see the 1/2 submerged boat in Humbug? What's the story there?

Sure did, couldn't work out what had happened. Lots of people taking pics. Also saw a half submerged Tige being towed back to the harbor by the rescue boat. Not a good day for some.
Old     (bigballin)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-30-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
I guess I will have to check out Pleasant, if nothing else for Humbug cove. My sister was at Roosevelt on Saturday and said the winds submerged a couple of boats too. I guess it was a bad weekend to be a boat. Thanks for the link Bocephus
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-30-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
No shortage of bun at Humbug.
Old     (codered)      Join Date: May 2002       05-01-2007, 1:04 AM Reply   
Hey just moved here and need to get back into riding.I have tues and wed off if that will work for you.Shoot me an e-mail...Phil
Old     (lil_braswell)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-01-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
I might be moving to Phoenix in a couple months as well. How far away from the city are all the lakes everyone is talking about? I am from MN, so I can't go 15 miles in any one direction without hitting a lake and if I can't board it might deter me from taking this job. Thanks!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-01-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Phil is that you buddy? Hit me up.

Hahn
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-01-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Pleasant is about 30 minutes north of Phx (20 miles?). Bartlett is about the same. Guys from the east side will have to weigh in on the distance to Roosevelt, Apache and Saguaro.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-01-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Roosevelt take me 1 hour 30 minutes from my house everytime (power rd & highway 60). Do not go the globe route, it takes longer.

Saguaro is about 25 minutes from power rd & 60. Which is probably about 45-50 minutes from phoenix I guess.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Id say Bartlett is more than 30 minutes from Phx...at least it seems that way. It takes a little while to get to the turn off and then that crazy windy road out to the lake seems to take forever, maybe thats just the anxiety and roadsickness that makes it feel so far away. lol
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-01-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Bartlett is 48 miles north of downtown Phoenix, though not that many people live in downtown (me excepted!). All lakes are spread about so if you're near one of them you're nowhere near the others.
Old     (zombeh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-03-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
yeah you can forget about finding good water on the weekends at lake pleasant during the day. but after about 5 or 6 you can find some.
Old     (lil_braswell)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help guys. I will likely be moving to the Scottsdale area in July. Starting a new job at the General Mills Sales Office. If I can't get out on a lake when I am out there I will be very bummed. Hope to meet some people on the water once I am there. Take it easy... oh yeah, anyone know where a single 24 year old guy should live if I will be working in Scottsdale? Thanks!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-03-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
That would all depend on your income level. How much are you looking to spend on housing?
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
There's a big social scene around Old Town Scottsdale if that's what you're after. Plenty of boat bun potential. On a map, that would be Scottsdale Rd between Camelback Road & Thomas Road. Live a little east of there and you've got good access to the loop 101 parking lot (sorry, freeway). Bartlett would be about 35 miles from there, about 50 mins. Saguaro about 30 miles, 45 mins.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-04-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
I sent you an email.