Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-18-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
I have a 315 hp mercruiser in my 02 Cally Pro V. I ran it yesterday with no issues until right before we left. It died and wouldn't start back up. It would after spraying some ether in it and would run like always. If I turned off the ignition and tried to fire it back up it would just turn over. It runs without missing a beat after a little ether though. Any thoughts on what might be the problem. I pulled the flame arrestor and it looked a little gummed up so I shot some carb and choke cleaner through it (from the inside blowing it out). I don't think it's the fuel pump cause like I said when I spray it with ether it runs. WTF????
Thanks in advance.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
I don't know the answer to your question, but why would you be carrying ether with you in the first place? That would be my last thought to trying to start a boat.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-18-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
You have a fuel issue if ether will start it.
By the way, ether is really hard on the rings and cylinder walls so you should use it seldom.
You might have a gasket leak in the carb that's flooding the engine at idle or plugged idle jets that are starving it. You might also have a dead accelerator pump that's not putting extra fuel in to help it start.
It could be that it's vapor locking from old fuel and engine heat. That could be why it died on idle at the end of the day.
Anyway, it's at the carb for sure.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-18-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
I had this can of ether because it's part of my tool box that I put on before I board the boat. It's also my tool kit for in my truck. I carry random metric and standard bolts, duct tape , tie wire, electrical connectors among other things. This was the first time I've used the ether on my boat. If I needed to use it to get my boat going again I would likely use it again. Breaking down is one of those terrible certainties of owning anything mechanical. It got me back on my trailer so I've no regrets. Still working on the fix for the no starting issue.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-18-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
Fuel filters ? Have you changed them ? There should be a Water/fuel and a inline fuel filter, assuming you have EFI. How fresh is the fuel ?

Just some thoughts. They are annuals, so replacing them should be done anyways.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2008, 10:21 PM Reply   
Cool. I have always heard that ether is really bad on engines. OK for diesel's, but not good for gas engines.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-19-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
If you use starter fluid on a diesel, it'll be the last time you do that.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2008, 11:55 PM Reply   
Sparky is dead right. Diesel with no upper cylinder lube means blown diesel. Rebuild the carb you probably have varnish in jets and fuel bowls also check for bad fuel will cause this problem and if both of those are ok then check timing will cause hard start.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-26-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
Just an update if any one cares, the problem ended up being a short in my ignition switch. The spring that returns the key to the start position (disengages starter) had broke and was allowing the motor to turn over but wouldn't start it. After playin with it a little I was able to get the key to turn counterclockwise 90 degrees from the 12 o'clock position and it would start first try. I replaced the ignition switch ($15 bucks @ boaters world) and I'm back in bidness. I also changed my plugs, wires, cap, button, oil, and filters. I have a spare impeller/o ring on standby in the toolbox.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-26-2008, 11:44 PM Reply   
OK, so definitely not "the carb for sure".

Good job tracking it John.