Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mikej)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-26-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
Hi, can anyone recommend a good stereo installer relatively close to Poulsbo WA? (across the pond from Seattle). Thanks!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
Yo Mike I grew up in Poulsbo (still have a ton of family there) and live in Mukilteo. I wouldn't have anyone over there do the install as I've never heard of anyone over there that does boats. I know a guy in Kirkland Shane that does boats his website is Divinemarine.com. Stereotomy in Issaquah also does some boats. What are you putting the system in?
Old     (mikej)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-26-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
A new Cobalt wss232. The stock system just isn't cutting it. Need more everything. Funny thing is: the (2) tower speakers are wetsounds. I heard that they were supposed to be good.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
Nice boat, you should check out Exile Audio. Give Shane a call on the phone and let him know what you're looking to do.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-27-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
Mike,
You can't judge the Wetsounds in the context of a factory or dealer-installed system. They are almost guaranteed to be underpowered.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-27-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Mike,

David is correct. The first thing in order is to add more power on the tower. You will be amazed at the difference. Everyone judges a system on the speakers as that is what they "hear" the sound coming from. But the speaker is at the end of the line in a system. The head unit, source material, amplifier, settings etc...is what also affects the output. Think of it like this. It's like a new camaro with the V-6. The new Camaro's are supposed to be fast, right. Well everything else about the car IS except the motor. Car has the potential, but lacks the horsepower. This is what is happening to your system. You have the potential but lack some horse power on the amp side. Give us a call at 877-938-7757 and we can locate a dealer near you that can help

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
If it was a factory installed WS system, isn't it a WS issue with not supplying the Factory with the correct setup? You say they are underpowered, do you supply them with amps as well as speakers? If so then why are you supplying them with the wrong amp? Just sayin.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-27-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Nu Bu,

Cobalt only buys PRO 60's. So it is not a factory installed WS system. They are not our amps. They designed the system around what their goals were as far as budget etc. They laid out the amps and picked the products they wanted to use. They just use the PRO 60 on the tower.

Tige's system for example is a system I designed from the ground up that is 100% WS. Hope this helps clear it up for you......

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Cool, I knew Tige had the whole package from you..
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Tige had the whole package from you
WOAH! Lets keep it clean
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-27-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Most manufacturer's are going to cut corner's and skimp out on things like putting the correct power to the tower speakers. This type of thinking happens from many different manufacturer's. We sell heavy duty, industrial and marine alternators and starters in the aftermarket and pretty much every manufacturer puts the cheapest possible alternator and starter they can. They use OEM suppliers to get the warranty and good name as to say they are using top quality stuff but even top quality stuff doesn't work correctly when it does not provide enough output for the application. Is that Delco, Leece Neville or Denso's fault for selling them a less than ideal unit or the Manucaturer's fault for taking the cheap way out and buying the bare minimum? I am sure Cobalt did the same thing. Hey let's put on these awesome wetsounds to look cool but then save money by putting an underpowered amp to them. I wouldn't be surprised if they used a small 4 channel amp to run 4 interior speakers and the wetsounds. The wetsounds are probably getting 75 watts a piece of some crap like that. Crap, most people that actually have wetsounds just because they look cool and their friends have them so it doesn't really matter how they sound.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-27-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Manufacturers and dealers alike usually do everything on the cheap. If you attempt to dictate how its going to be in order to do it 'right' then you will lose any chance of selling them anything at all. That's the reality of the situation. And they certainly don't view stereos as a key component in their own product branding. But they will borrow an image to build value into their product. They also pay for licensing on products that they never use. Try to find a true Bose speaker behind the grill containing the Bose logo on a GM truck for example.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-27-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Mastercraft's seem to be the one that I don't understand. They use expensive components with the JL 7.7's in the interior and on the tower then they use a nice but way underpowered amp to push the interiors, towers and sub. I bet most people would be more than happy with the JL speakers they put in them if they replaced the amps with something more powerful. I would think with 4 interiors and 2 or 4 tower speakers a couple wetsound syn 2's, the similar arc or the alpine 4.150 would really make those speakers come alive. I am not sure what they would do about the stock freeair sub in the mastercrafts though.

Sorry for getting off subject Mike. Shane is the only one I know of in that really works on boats. He uses a lot of top quality components.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
If MC really wanted to do it right they would throw the JL HD 900/5 in there, or an XD 600/6 and XD 400/4.
Old     (mikej)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-27-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for the advice. It sounds like more power and some phone calls are in order.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
I'd say call Brian at Exile and see if he can recomend a shop and why you have him on the phone talk to him about his amps. Harpoon to the tower, 800.4 split interior and sub ot all interior and get a 1500.1 and a BIG 12 BOOOOOM!

Just my 2 cents!
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Mike - There are several decent shops up your way that can load you up with power. Divine Marine does mobile work so he might just come to you. Someone also pointed out Stereotommmmy. They are good guys as well and are capable marine installers.

It sounds like the best thing to do is write down the model numbers of the stuff you already own them a call for some quotes. If you want a direct referral I'd be happy to chat with you and make some recommendations and get you setup with a quality shop. Shoot me a pm or call our office.

The Harpoon amplifier that johnny brought up is a beast and will make your sing! But we should dig a bit deeper into exactly what your setup is first before strapping 1000 watts to the speakers..hehe!

-Brian
Exile Audio