Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    andystrawn            06-10-2003, 11:46 AM Reply   
Just wanted to get some ideas, I was thinking of getting a v-6 pickup to pull a boat around once and a while, just wanted to get some ideas about pros and cons for automatic transmission vs manual.

Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-10-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
If your good, a 5-speed theoretically would get better gas milage. I still wouldn't tow in 5th though. I've noticed lately that vehical tow rating are now higher for auto's. I have a chevy blazer w/ the 4.3L auto. tranny that tow's my 93 SN just fine. I usually pull in 3rd unless I'm on the flats and at high way speed. The difference between 3 and OD is about 1k rpm. With an auto you just have to make sure that you are not shifting up down or with the torque convertor unlocked alot or you'll burn up the tranny. Also w/ and auto you should have an external tranny cooler and change it's oil at least every 30k miles. With the 19.5' SN I'm probably only towing 3000-3500 pounds. If I had a larger wakeboard boat, I would probably opt for a v-8. My 4.3 has about 250 ft-lbs of torque, many other v-6's have much less. Make sure to take that into account when deciding what vechicle and how you are going to use it.
Old    skihardkore            06-10-2003, 5:07 PM Reply   
THe nice thing about the manual is you could get a beefier clutch to help with towing. It's also alot cooler than automagic.
Old     (ryan_e)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-10-2003, 5:36 PM Reply   
I would consider who will be backing your boat in and out of the water. I would not have anything but a automatic. Reason: My girlfriend backs the truck up and the last thing I would want is her rolling the truck into the lake. Yes you can always do it yourself, but me I would rather pull the boat off the trailor then let her.