Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-12-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Has anyone built a system to lock their V-drive compartments?
I have the small handle and lock on the engine hatch. I plan on building something that will allow me to lock the V-drive compartments first from inside the engine area and then close the engine hatch and then lock that.

Any Suggestions?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-12-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
you might look at a Malibu for reference, they have locking compartments on their v drives. i don't have it in front of me so i can't see how they do it, but looking at an existing setup might help.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
Most of the newer boats have the ability to lock those hatches, unfortunately they're not really all that secure (read locks only for the honest people) To be a bit more secure you could run a cable through the rear cleats, over the hatches and then padlock that snug. Where there's a will there's a way though and none of these boats that I've seen are really secure or could even be reasonably made so.
Old     (big_matt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
Before I lock something like that, I give good consideration to the damage someone will do just seeing what's in there...
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-12-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I agree big matt, a lock only keeps out the honest people.
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-12-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
Just trying to keep an honest guy honest! Like when we park the boat for lunch, broad daylight stuff. Really I'm not looking for opinions about theft just about different types of locking systems.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-13-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
this is the style my boat uses. but you need some thing solid underneath for the latch to catch.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Lock_Door_Handle_Sets-PERKO_T_HANDLE_FLUSH_LOCK_LATCH.html
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
That's the same lock I've got on both my lockers and they work well, just remember to unlock them before you raise the entire hatch, the hydraulic ram won't care if those are locked or not.