Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
It sucks the crew I ride dont like to push themselves outside of their usual riding limit. I am always the one that is the guinney pig, I dont care about the crashes but I have to be the one to try it, then they try it. The other day they said that if I tried a tantrum they would. I thought that was pretty weak. I feel like I am the only one that wants to progress or has cohonjes (sp?).
Anybody else in this type of position?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
find a new crew bro, wakeworld is a great place to do that.

Or if your in the midwest, hit www.midwestwakeboarder.com and www.midwestride.com
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
I'm in the same position...kinda. I let my wife try something and get worked over and over......then I try it after figuring out what she did wrong.

Wrong, I know.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
^haha. Thats classic....

Naw's wife rips though, so that helps a bit.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-04-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
Are they having fun out there, JB? If so, then what does it matter? As far as I'm concerned the other folks in my crew can just hang back and ride like a skiier if that's what they enjoy. If it's a matter of them wanting to try new things but wanting you to do it first, you only really have to options: do it or don't. My advice would be to stop worrying what the other folks in your crew are doing to progress and work on progressing at what you want to do.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-04-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
dude, its so much more fun if your crew is into progressing. Before we go out, i like to ask the question: What are you throwing today? I like to see everyone try something they haven't before. its just more fun if everyone else into getting better. i guess its kinda fun to be the guy that always trys stuff first. but it sucks to be the only one to push yourself.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Yea, They want to progress, but they dont want to fall hard. We are all pretty much at the same level, and we all talk about doing more, its just hard to be the only one that actually tries to progess (you should see my raley atemps, again the only one to trie). We all started riding at the about three years ago, and we dont ride or really have the chance to ride with anybody better that can give us pointers. So it can get frustrating being the one that has to figure it out (and take the bails)...

they are my best buds too, we have a blast together, so a new crew is out the question, just a little venting...
and yea they all have fun, we all do, but when they actually try or land something new they really light up, that part is natural I just want to get to be a better rider...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
It isnt so much a question of progression and whether or not you should accept it, as it is an issue of matching up interests. With that said I am assuming some of your riding buddies arent too into wakeboarding correct? For instance they dont train on a trampoline or frequently watch wake vids (specifically instructionals). I have found people who train on tramps and watch vids etc. are typically pretty progressive in nature.

Another possible issue is that you mentioned they wanted you to try the first invert. If your buddies are all around your ability I can see this, since the overall skill level of wakeboarding is at a relatively low level (unless you guys can do a lot of spins?). The first tricks (i.e. 360's, backside spins, inverts and inverts with handle passes) are all pretty big stepping stones that require some serious commitment to learning and falling; becuase you will fall a lot. Once you get a few more basics under your belt as well as theirs, you may find it easier to push each other and try new things. The reason I say this is that the more you ride, the better your skills at falling become. In a sport like wakeboarding where falling is a part of progression it really helps to know how to fall correctly. This saves some pain and really helps a person get over the getting killed to try a new trick feeling.

Good luck
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
I totally know what you are talking about Matt. I am the only one on wakeworld, I own about a dozen wake vids and constantly watch edu vids to help or even to help my buddies.
Not to say that they arnt into it, one is starting to build a winch, the other one and I built a slider and a pool gap in my backyard, I think that the intesity is just different.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, I hear you. It would be nice if people would learn some new tricks I have been falling asleep in the boat lately. hope I still have a pull this weekend. I will take one for the team if I do. haha
Old    mendo247            08-04-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
lol id fit right in with your crew!!! actually ive been convincing myself to leave my mangina at home and try a few new tricks this wekeend.. ive instructed the rest of the crew to start throwing rocks and cursing me out if i do the same ol stuff..
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
One thing we typically do before a set which Nacho mentioned is:

When they are strapping in or stretching out say "so whats getting thrown today?" Then see what they say. This question in itself is enough to push someone IMHO. Once they are in the water whether they are riding good or bad, each time you round them with the boat to pick them up (on the driver's side of course) offer some positive re-inforcement. Worst case scenario is, they try a new trick, get totally beaten and you say "man that looked painful, lets come back to that one, try this instead" If they are remotely close you can always offer friendly advice. The BEST THING EVER for progression is having some knowledgable riders (preferably better than you) watching you ride and commenting and offering suggestions. This is the closest thing to video critique that you can get. You would be amazed at how fast things can progress once everyone is pushing each other in a super friendly manner and offering tips and advice.

Dont make it an adversarial relationship either, if someone is lands a trick first try that took you forever, share some stoke, dont be quiet. Often time honking the boat horn and yelling works well for people when they are trying a new trick. Nothing can help fix the pain like coming back to the surface from a bad fall and hearing the boat horn honking away, then having everyone tell you... dude that was huge/crazy or whatever. Make everything positive. A DONT EVER BRING UP GETTING HURT ON A TRICK unless you are specifically making sure they dont try something completely stupid.
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
at least most of yall have a crew... i ride by myself. i do have lots of ppl come watch me and i teach alot of ppl... but no one takes it real serious, so i gotta push myself... which if u knew me... im not too pushy... lol
Old     (lowbowtie)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-10-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
I think me and Craig have alot in common. Im always riding by myself with my chick driving. She tries to ride every once in a while but just doesnt want to bad enuf. I get bored just riding with no one to learn with. If i cant get some friends that want to ride, i might have to find a new habit.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Matt - If you really want your g/f to get into this sport, maybe buy her a DVD of girls riding (no boys) and really tearing it up. I loved watching the guys on the boat ride, but never really thought I could do what they were doing, (so I never tried) UNTIL I saw a GIRL riding with us throwing inverts. Put a whole new perspective on stuff and it wasn't just a "boys are more athletic than girls" thing for me anymore. I guess it made doing tricks seem more achievable to me seeing other girls performing them and now I'm trying stuff and have fallen in love with this sport, whereas the first two years it was just a way to pass the time until winter again. (Just a suggestion to maybe get your girl more into it and having more fun with riding.)
Old    walt            08-10-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
richard coop (mendo247),

How's the Mangina feeling ? Should I bring a tube of vagisil this weekend ?
Old    mendo247            08-10-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
ha ha ha.. nah no need for that.. ive decided to leave the board on the wall for a while.. as they say "ive lost the stoke" im gonna chill for a while until i get it back!
Old    walt            08-10-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Duuude...WTF ?
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-10-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
I feel ya man! I'm in the same boat! Just huck it! It sucks though when they do try it, they land everything the first time. My friend could be so good but he need to clean the sand from his vag.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-10-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Who cares as long as everyone is having fun. You say eveyone is the same level, but I would imagine that if you ask all your buddies who is the best in the boat, they will all point to you. That should make you feel better. Also, not eveyone feels comfortable in a leader position all the time. You might be the wakeboard leader, and another one of you friends might be the "Trouble" leader and be the first one to throw down when needed. Have fun and try not to look too deep into it, you should be happy you got such good friends.
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-10-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
We have a small crew of three including myself. Always try the next new trick. We push each other a ton. We also don't let someone back in the boat until they throw something big, or at least try something.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-10-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
JB:

When my son was in high school he was progressing pretty well and soon was able to out ride everyone in our normal circle of friends. I knew he would benefit from a little competition/push so we started inviting people from this forum.

Is it your boat? Then Go to the "find a third" and post there. Be specific: say that you are looking for someone who can throw an invert/360 or whatever.

If it isn't your boat then you might be stuck....

In my son's case the problem resolved itself when he got to college, California State University Sacramento. He quickly became the president of the Wakeboard Team and now has lots of strong riders to hang with. He also gets opportunities to ride several times a week.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-10-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Rod, Sounds like a good idea. I wish we had that kind of club here in minnesota, but the season is just too short.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-10-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
start throwing some money on the table. if everyone routinely pitches in for gas or something, you can give a free pass to the guy who lands "X" trick first. stuff like that. sounds like you guys are stuck in a routine, and need to mix it up a little.
I am in the same boat as you. except no one else in my crew is interested in progressing like I am. however, I am not going to dump them, as they are also family. I am starting to branch out a bit, and ride with other people, and take lessons also.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-10-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
Thomas,
Sounds like we are in the same boat... I like the idea, we need to just mix it up a little. These guys are like family, I ride with them 3-4 times a week. And we all get soo stoked when somebody lands a new trick its just hard to start, I think we are getting closer to the progession stage...
Old     (brad63)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-11-2006, 11:10 PM Reply   
I try to teach ppl as much as possible but all 18 ppl i have got up no one wants to take it serious.... i no a few ppl that take sports serious and would love to do it but cant afford a 30k boat
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-12-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
#1 quit complaining... basically you gotta look at it like this, we're prolly not gonna be pro, the season is short, you've got to attack it. I used to go through the same stuff you do, friends riding, never wanting to fall or try new stuff, basically being pussies, Im basically the only hardcore one of the original group left, and guess what, Im also the best by far. Just keep pushing yourself and don't be competitive with them. I've taught myself everything I know, and its paid off, Im no pro but Im very happy where Im at... which is leaps and bounds ahead of my friends and the rest of the lake. Just don't go at it like "I want to be the best, or better than you" maybe you do, maybe you don't... I dont get pissed if a bud will try a new trick or not, I ride for me, and I also don't try a new trick because someone tells me to... unless theres hot chics, then I ride for them haha
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Any chance your crew would throw in some bucks and get a solid wakeboard instructor to ride with you a few times? Then he could help all of you move on the the more difficult tricks. Maybe with someone who knows helping them, they would be willing to go for it. Just a thought.