Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Just finished my latest project only had a week to build it from scratch on my lunch breaks so no frills (except for the polished splash shield) any how just thought I would share.
There is no rope on it yet. But 750 feet feet of Pro-line will be on it this afternoon.
Upload
Upload
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-19-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
thats freakin sick. I was checking out malibu lagoon the other day. its perfect for that. NICE JOB
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-19-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Nice job!

I didn't think I knew all these handy people!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Sorry I'm an idiot!!!! it's WINCH not WHINCH up to late last night. Thanks Ed
Old    innov8actionsports.com            04-19-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Wow thats clean, great job!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Nice Al, That thing looks clean. It's going to get the ultimate test this weekend at the NorCal MC grand opening. If that thing can pull Rusty, then it can pull pretty much anyone. LOL!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-19-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
SICK!
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
Winching is great!!!!

Very clean winch!!! Looks real good! How much HP is that engine?

I love seeing all the great ideas DIY winch builds have. Please upload some pics of your winch on www.wakeboarding-winch.com

Checkout the winch we finished last month.

Upload

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       04-19-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
that is a clean winch
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-19-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
would it be kosher to ask for some specs on that thing?

Like:

Engine type, and HP?
Sprocket info?
Where you got that spool?

I'd like to try to make one of these.
Old    mendo247            04-19-2007, 11:23 AM Reply   
DAMN! Nice work.. that looks really good..
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-19-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
nicely done! do you know what kind of pro-line you're gonna run?
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-19-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Does it matter if the line is coated or is noncoated better?
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
Sorry... I don't know if you are asking specs on our winch, or CIE...Al's winch.

OK... What you see is the following...

100% aircraft quality aluminum tubing: whats so big about aluminum? our winch weighs less than 100 lbs. Spool is CNC machined with 100% aircraft quality aluminum: has adjustable inner diameter of 4", 6", and 8", can disingage from the axle to unreel the rope with ease, and once disengaged the spool sits on its own set of ball bearings for even easier unreeling of the spool (especially needed for 750' and above). Motor is a 6.5hp Honda Racing go-cart engine: this engine has the first stage modification added, and produces 9HP. Connected to the side of the engine is a Torq-A-Verter CVT. THIS WINCH WILL PULL A 300 lb + RIDER DEEP WATER START. Last weekend we deep water started 2 riders at the same time; i think we might be the first to do that.

Gearing is a CVT 30, and a 60 tooth sprocket

We sell the disengaging aluminum spools on our website for $200.00... www.bulletlines.com

I actually have this winch for sale in the classifieds section of wakeworld for $1900.00 and at www.wakeboarding-winch.com We are selling it to make room for our new double spool winch.

Here are some more pics.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by bulletlines on April 19, 2007)

(Message edited by bulletlines on April 19, 2007)
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-19-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Ken,

I was asking about Allen's, but thanks for the info.

You guys do some really nice work.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
Rooster,
The spool I made, It's a 6.5hp with a Cin clutch, 12 tooth on the engine, 72 tooth on the sprocket. It's a simple winch a buddy of mine wanted me to see if I could produce a winch that we could sell for around 1100.00 to 1200.00 and that is what you see here. That's why it doesn't have a brake or wheels nothin to complex. Simple cheep and it works good. I would rather not say how I made my spool if you look at it it's really easy to figure out how I made it. Sorry I hope you understand.
Thanks for the intrest
Old     (shawna_h)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-19-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
looks sweet al! you make the best winches!! they're so smooth!
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
I have a couple questions about winches... As the spool turns and pulls you, wont it accelerate and decelerate 4 times per revolution each time the line is pulled from one of the 4 bars in the center of the spool? I guess over 750 feet, even a no stretch line will absorb the vibration.

Also, what about speed control? As the spool winds the diameter will increase, pulling you faster, no? Is this a non-issue as well?
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
Great questions!

Most people will never fully unreel the winch line, so there are a few layers of rope already on the spool which provides an even spooling layer.

The 2 biggest complaints in winching is weight, and consistant pull. Actually the number 1 complaint by riders at rail jams are consistent pulls.

Bullet Lines and Pimp Winching Systems has come up with a solution for both.

1. Weight: We went with aluminum winches, and we are working on our carbon fiber winch frames now. A carbon Pimp Winch will weigh less than 60 lbs.

2. Consistant Pull: We have also solved this problem. We have already designed an electronic speed control, and we are in the process of putting a utility patent (I believe this is the correct term) on it.

We actually developed the electronic speed control to put on our commercial winches that will be pulling rail jams: Texas Ski Ranch will be the first to have one. We have also engineered a double spooled winch that will make rail jams go a little smoother (solves big complaint of rail jam promoters). I'll try to get a pic of our double spooled commercial winch on www.wakeboarding-winch.com today.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com

(Message edited by bulletlines on April 20, 2007)
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Both are non-factors if you ask me. The speed control thing, there is a limiting set screw on the throtle of my engine, adjust that so the full throtle is the correct speed and there ya go nice steady pull every time. Speed change due to rope amount on spool. The speed will change but usually not a problem because rails are so short you don't notice it. Like I said before my winch is low budget low tech and low maintanance. I didn't want to get in to all the complicated stuff. just give em handle and pull em over the top of some wood, why make it more difficult then it has to be. But the pimp winches are PIMP.