Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
Long story short I cased the wake bad on a ts frontroll and I kneed myself in the face wakeboarding and did something to my knee in the process and it hasn't been the same since. I know its not an ACL tear because I could walk comfortably (after the first day) without experiencing sharp pains. I can also sort of run and jump on the trampoline.

However, when I wakeboard or try any tricks besides jumping on the trampoline there is a quick pain on the back part of it. I also have a tough time bending my knee all the way in. There is a tight feel to it as it seems to restrain me from bending it all the way.

Have any of you ever expereiced anything like this? I dont know if this could be a streched tendon from me bending the crap out of my knee on the landing or just a severe charlie horse on my leg. It dosen't seem to be serious but it has been a week since the injury and was hoping for some information on the subject to determine if I should just wait it out or go see a docter.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-14-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
miniscus tear perhaps. If it's only during certain movements.

I'd go to the doctor
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-14-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
Hey Henry,
Knee injuries can be pretty tough to diagnose without an MRI... & even tougher if the MRI doesn't show any ligament or meniscal damage. Letting the guessing game begin. There are a number of things that can be the cause. Hopefully, the pain and lack of mobility are just due to the swelling. That is your body's have of letting you know you did some damage to it and to let it rest and heal itself. Try letting it rest for a week or two... if possible.

By back of your knee, do you mean the popliteal area (the area right behind your patella or knee cap? Or is it up by your hamstring? Either way, I would agree with Trapper in that, if the problem persists, you should go see a doctor. Your knees have to support you for a long time... take care of 'em. It sucks to sit out a few pulls.... but worth it in the long-run. Good luck!
Old     (xandercon)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-14-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Sounds like a meniscus tear to me. I had similar symptoms with a partially torn meniscus before. Basically the flap of torn meniscus would get in funky positions in the knee, causing the knee to lock up randomly in contraction and extension.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Yeah I meant the area behind the patella. Im hoping its only swollen and it goes down. This is what I originally thought it to be because of the fact my knee did not swell up a ton after the fall and its getting progressively better day by day.

I did look into the symptoms of a miniscus tear and most of the problems that occur fit the defiinition but I guess I wont know til an MRI which will take weeks to frikin set up! (Hopefully my knee just feels good enough to ride before the MRI actually happens)
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
Alex what did you do with your meniscus tear? Was surgury required or did it just heal on its own?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-14-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
"I know its not an ACL tear because I could walk comfortably (after the first day) without experiencing sharp pains. I can also sort of run and jump on the trampoline. "

You sound exactly like I did a few years back. I could walk pain free and jog a little, but after 2 months of denial I saw the doc and it took him 3 seconds to tell me I had a completely torn ACL. Go see a doc, an ACL tear can be diagnosed in seconds if they know what they are doing.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-14-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
^^^ me too. No pain with mine at all, just tightness and couldn't bend it to 90 degrees. Thought I had a minor sprain at most, boy was I wrong. Get it checked by an ortho., only way you'll know for sure.
Old     (toadieboy13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-14-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
^^^ for me also. Not much pain at all. My knee was a little swollen and felt loose but I was out wakeboarding with not much limitations a week later. My knee would occasionally "give" out when running or going upstairs, so the girlfriend finally convinced me to go get it checked out. I had a completely torn ACL and a partially torn meniscus.

I would suggest going to an ortho.
Old     (xandercon)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-14-2009, 9:51 PM Reply   
For my meniscus, they just scoped the knee (3 small holes) and trimmed off the torn part. I was playin football again after 3 weeks of rehab.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2009, 5:24 AM Reply   
Ok so this hasn't been the most positive and uplifting commentary (especially the ACL stories)but I will most definitely get my knee checked out now haha. Thank you all for your much needed input. Hopefully the process is quick and painless so I can be back out on the water sooner rather than next year!
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-15-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Go to the DOC. He will help all your troubles
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       07-15-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
Cripes. I did the same thing (on a HS backroll though) and have been avoiding this thread. Sorry I looked - guess I'll have to see a doc. Mine is getting better though but occasionally gives out which concerns me.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-15-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
I have several competing athletes I work with that have blown ACLs. With such a short window of opportunity (they can't take the time off to fix and rehab it without it seriously affecting their career) to make money and compete, they elect to put off surgery and just keep going at it wearing a brace. Many of them don't have pain, just have major instability due to the lack of a sound ACL. I always encourage them to get it fixed ASAP.
Often, if it is a meniscal tear, your symptoms will be felt more on the sides of your knees (lateral or medial) and you will often feel a clicking or it will lock up. Although you could very well feel it in the popliteal region as well. Like I said in my first response, unless you have a definitive MRI result, it is going to be a guessing game. Good luck and make sure you get it looked at.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-15-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
I did a similar thing on a tantrum last week. Came down extremely back foot heavy and crushed my knee up into my chest. Hasn't really bothered me much with flexing my knee, moreso my upper calf region, but definitely doesn't feel as strong as I'd like it to be. Going to take a couple weeks off the water...
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
Just because you can walk and don't have much pain doesn't mean you didn't do some damage. I tore mine and didn't realize it -- finished a triathlon the very next day.

I'd say your best bet is to get it checked out.
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       07-15-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
i think its funny how wakeboarders kno soo much about the human knee haha. yea man i had the same problem it was my menescus. it was bareable to walk/run/ride on but the lil sharp pains will never go away so i had to get the surgery to get it fixed
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
Well I went today and got my leg checked by the doctor. After a series of test where he moved my leg in different positions there was no pain even though there a little bit of fluid. Im hoping the no pain is a sign of things to come. My knee started to feel a little better today but I am definitely taking time off the water until I get the results from an MRI.

Hopefully the MRI reveals nothing!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-15-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
hopefully the MRI reveals a healthy knee! Good luck and rehab away even if there is no major damage- gotta get that sucker strong so you don't have any future issues. Mine feels twice as strong since the surgery- not because of the surgery but because of how serious I take my hamstring and quad strength and flexibility now.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       07-16-2009, 5:41 AM Reply   
I made an appointment to see a doctor, and my knee started feeling better as soon as I got off the phone. So at least it helped from that standpoint and proves all this is good advice.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
posterior medial meniscus tear i bet. doesnt always show up on an mri unless they are looking for that. get an MRI w contrast and tell dr when you see him it might be posterior meniscus tear so he orders that view. of course check for ACL tear, etc.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       07-20-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Saw dr today. No ACL or MCL tear. Perhaps small tear of meniscus - taking a wait and see approach if anything needs to be done. Felt better walking out of the office knowing what I'm dealing with.
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
Nice to hear Steve, meniscus repair is short. I hear that people are back to their activities a short month after surgery.

I tore my ACL and MCL on July 1st, waiting for surgery... this takes a good 6 months after surgery before I'll be able to get back to sports.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-21-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
I am like 10.5 months out of ACL repair and my leg strength is not good. I was riding the other day and felt like I tweaked the knee a little. I have been taking it easy but went for a little jog this morning and feel a little locking type twitching pain. hmmmmmmm Not happy about that at all.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-21-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Gene- Sorry to hear your not doing so good. Keep working on it, you'll get there!

MF Noel- I just got released to ride yesterday, just shy of 6 months. I worked my butt off in Physical Therapy and did as much strengthening as I could before surgery. I suggest buying a cheap stationary bike to keep range of motion fluid and regain it quickly after surgery. It's a long road but after the first month it goes by quick. Good luck with surgery and feel free to hit me up with any questions
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       07-21-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
MF Noel & Gene: Sorry to hear that. Get well and riding soon.