Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
I had a big speech prepared but I'm gonna skip it and just say that I'm embarrased by some of the trick names in wakeboarding.

I will say in our defence, however, that most other alternative sports have equally lame trick names but c'mon...whirlydicks and rollephantes?
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-21-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
SKEEZER. SLURPEE.
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
i think my favorite, worst name is the Hasselhoff.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
the problem with the skeezer is not only is it lame...but unnecessary. Renaming a switch maneuver that already has a dumb name in the first place is a little excessive (ie: peterose vs. x-mobe, slim chance vs. fat chance....or is that one ok because Byerly named it?)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-21-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Mobydick
Tootsie Roll
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-21-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
And, it's totally inconsistent. Some just add a 180 on (Whirley 5, Mobe 5, Mobey Dick 5, KGB 5, etc.) while others get a whole new name in the first place (Tantrum-Tantrum to Blind-Whirley (ole) or Mobey Dick (handle pass), Front Roll-Tootsie - Dum Dum, Roll to Blind - KGB, Heel Roll to Revert - Heel Mobe, Toe Roll to Revert - Pete Rose, Front Roll-Scarecrow-Crow Mobe-Crow Mobe 5). It makes no sense and it's silly and has nothing to do with the tricks. But, it is what it is and it's far too late to do anything about it. The dumbest trick name I hear over and over is adding method to any grabbed invert...it's virtually impossible.
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       09-21-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
The worst trick name ever is the front flip. It should be called a front roll because you rotate the exact opposite way of a back roll. I know there is no such thing as a front roll but I think thats stupid. If anything a mexi-backroll should be called a front flip.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Byerly landed a skeezer before anyone had done a regular crow mobe and that is why it was named. He also did fat chance before there was a slim chance. BCP Mike
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
Ah yes...mexican rolls and frantrums. Why is there an actual name placed to a poorly executed trick that already has a dumb name?
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-21-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
I don't get the Pete Rose thing. If anything, a Raley-based trick is the closest thing to something you would name Pete Rose
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-21-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Not that I can do a pet rose, but I have always heard if you miss the handle pass you hit the water in a peter rose slide stance and thats how it was named.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-21-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
yep, Byerly said when he was learning the trick, his wipeouts would usually have him sliding out the front headfirst, ala Pete Rose and his headfirst dives into bases.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Crow mobes were actually called Crow Magnums for a while, or thats what Nelson named them.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-21-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Naming a trick is leaving your mark on the sport.
Re-naming a trick is mooching in my opinion.

Some names stuck ie. Pete, whirly, etc. and some didn't ie. malt-o-meal, patriot missile etc.

The mexican roll name was really just a joke started by Goforth because Chewy and Gayton really front rolled their BS rolls. It was never intended to be a different trick or anything.

And yes, The Skeezer was invented be Byerly and done before the regular crow-mobe. He was an innovator that brought a lot of tricks to the table.
As far as the Hasselholf, Horrel named it during the height of baywatch. Like he said, If you can do it, you get all the chicks like Hasselholf...
Old    murrayair            09-21-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
The whirlydick is the worst name ever. I understand the combination of whirlybird and moby dick, but come on, seriously. Maybe I'll be able to legitimately complain about it when I can do one in 300,000 years.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-21-2007, 11:28 PM Reply   
nope. big worm is the worst. tuff trick but the name is probabl the gayest to date
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-22-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
Go back to the March/April '07 issue of Alliance (Amber Wing on the cover) and the "A List" has their "11 Worst Named Tricks Ever."
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-22-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
I can't believe the DUM DUM didnt make the list yet. How about all the Ole' tricks that are just sloppy version of regular mobe, if anything they should be called rodeo flips, which is a stupid name to.

We have just started calling tricks by what they physical motion is, like instead of a tootsie roll, its a Toeside front to blind.

All sports have stupid trick names tho-, look at stake boarding, Why the hell is there a move call a Madonna? How about a Gay Twist? that's just plan gay.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
hey if you cant do em dont diss em. theres too many incorrect or shallow staements in here to even try to correct any of you. all these trick are cool and some of the names are funny, what if everything in wakeboarding was serious like in golf? then we'd be just plain gay im with ryan sieberg he's a G
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       09-24-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Hootchie Glide, Batwing, Fashion Air, etc... too many to list.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
Wow, its great to see the state of wakeboarding in this thread. The trick names are a part of wake history, people were paving the way for all of you, and in doing so have the right to name whatever they did whatever they want. Nearly all of the tricks have a unique and fun story to the name, which I think makes the sport as a whole extremely unique. It's like you're embarrassed to tell your friends what trick you did. So Andy, if you told me you did a toeside front to blind, I would think you did a toeside frontflip to blind rather than a tootsie roll, so your description is probably worse, let alone sounds too extensive. HooCHIE glide, batwing, fashion air, all staples in the sport as tricks and names, this is a sad look at peoples perspective on the sport.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-24-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
Batwing and Fashion Air make total sense because those names are pretty descriptive of what the trick looks like. Also, the name Fashion Air is used in snowboarding, not just wakeboarding.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-24-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Speaking of History, the FAT CHANCE is named after a awesome dude named Chance (who's nick name i guess is Fat, which i didn't know)who works at my nearby water sports shop, Utah Water Sports. Byerly named it after him due to a conversation between the two of them before he landed it. Chance actually initiated the creativity, challenge, and name of the trick before it was landed without even knowing it

here is the whole history behind it here
http://alliancewake.com/article_details.php?id=3173&page=1

NOW DO YOU STILL FIND THE NAME STUPID!? (or at least as stupid)

} hey, everyone post the histories of names if you got em... it will be great to know them.}

(Message edited by wakerider111 on September 24, 2007)
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2007, 6:25 PM Reply   
I'm glad that a-dub and these other guys are taking up for the sport of wakeboarding. He's right...there is a history and all these names are apart of it so until you guys do something to change wake history why not just shut up and stop making me read threads like this and wasting my time.talk about some real stuff and go watch retrospect!
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
and as for joe westfield up there....there is a hs front flip b/c it is tail over nose....and its a front roll b/c it's rail over rail...it has nothing to do with what it is the opposite of....byerly, horrell and all the many others who made this sport wanted it to be that way and it will always be that way. I hate threads like this .....
Old     (cpetersen)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
anyone remember zane schwenks move the cock n balls? a dumb name but a sweet move
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       09-25-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Hey poke.

ts front flip --> end over end
hs front flip --> end over end

ts front roll --> rail over rail
hs back roll --> end over end --> (inconsistent)
hs front roll --> (there is no such thing)

In order to be consistent all end over end tricks should be called flips. As you can see above the back roll is not consistent with the naming of the other tricks because it is end over end but called a roll. I guess the back roll not the front flip is the one thats named wrong in my opinion. However, if I was the God of wakeboard naming I would call all rail over rail tricks flips because they look like flips on a trampoline, and all end over end tricks rolls.

This really isn't a big deal but it does cause a lot of confusion amongst boarders, especially newbies, because the naming of flips and rolls isn't consistent.

Here is a thought for ya... maybe the guy that invented the back roll did it mexi-style and so it was more of a rail over rail trick and thats why he called it a roll.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
I love all the wakeboarding names.
i used to be so confused when i first started riding and watching movies...
but it's awesome to sit there with your mates, and they're all like "WOW WHAT WAS THAT ONE"...oh thats a G-Spot, that's an S-Bend, Thats a 313 etc.

I especially love the history of the Fat Chance listed above. i always used to think Byerly named it that because there was a 'Fat Chance' anyone else would in the next 10 yrs??

I heard somewhere that Josh Sanders recently landed a 313 but with a 540....does anyone know what that's called? im hoping its called a 515!
Old     (wakedave)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-26-2007, 11:07 PM Reply   
The worst name for me is "90210" which is a toeside 313
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
David I'm impressed! Not to many people know about the 90210. Mark named it that because of all the stupid names at the time. He wanted to top them all...
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I miss Turtle. I rode with you and him in Dallas 9 years ago at a demo, blew my knee out on a dup with ya'll in the boat, all Turtle could say was how sick the grab looked.

man I'm getting old.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
I know the 90210 also. Jacob Locken was very close (or maybe he has landed them) I saw him throw one in person at the first CIE Spring Ride.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-27-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
J-rod, If i remeber right he said he has landed a few. IMO thats more of a man trick than a S-bend. You gota have some steel ones for that trick!! The last half is like a switch Blind Judge!! Ballze
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
rammer, i think i remember that. We were with Chad Stanley.

Turtles doing good down under. Hes in a band.

The first time I saw him try it was Sacramento 97 tour stop. He came up just a little short and got his bell rung good.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-27-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
has "discombobulator" been mentioned yet?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-27-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
A-dub,

thanks for pointing out that I didnt right frontroll to blind.

The bottom line here is that if you invent it you can call it anything you want.

more people should do orbital's, they are so sick! everyone should Go try one! as soon as you get up in the air your lost!
Old     (peterd)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
The names are what differentiate Wakeboarding from Trick Skiing and the stuffy attitudes that went with 3-event skiing. The trick names give the sport an edge that make it fun. I think its really cool that if you invent something you get to name it.

I read something recently about where Mobius came from. Its a pretty ingenious connection to the notion of a Mobe, a flip with a spin. Basically, a mathematician August Ferdinand Möbius invented the concept of the Mobius Strip which was an object with only 1 edge and one surface. This kind of intelligent connection to the world outside wakeboarding is what makes a trick name good.

Upload
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Elephant is pretty weird.

Temper Tantrum
Old     (wakedave)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-27-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
Speaking of the Orbital, I haven't heard of anyone landing those other than Shapiro... let alone the Orbital 540. Anyone else does them?
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
I think that all the trick names have their own unique meaning. There is no such thing as a dumb trick name. I think most people on here are just jealous cause they can not do any of these tricks so they have to have a reason to complain about it. The trick names would not be stupid if you knew how to land them and be able to brag about it. The trick names set wakeboarding apart from all other board sports and all have their own unique stories of where they came from. Thats just my 2 cents
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       09-28-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
roast beef
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Tweety Bird
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
chicken salad
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-28-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Buff, hadden't heard that one for awhile, Ian Kirk used to do them back in the day.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-28-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Ian Kirk!!!

That guy is a rider!

Reminds me of the Ensane days.

Fond memories of hanging out with Dan Klopp and Chris Mills after hours.

Has anyone see Chris Mills lately? Cool guy.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-28-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
J-Rod haven't seen Chris for years, Dan is doing good, working for his dad, just bought a house in Springfield & riding local comps in OR. & WA. & his GF is Smoken Hot!!!!!!! I'll tell him you said what up. Sorry for the Hi-Jack
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
I like the names, pete rose, kgb, and even scarecrow, i dont understand some of the grab names though, where does indy come from? or mute? i get the idea they have some reasoning, but i do know that the stalefish tony hawk and his kid named because it sounded funny or something like that... where does nuclear come from?
Old     (nathan_from_downunder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
shane bonifay named the 313 by what time of day he first landed the trick
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
it was actually shaun murray.
Old     (nathan_from_downunder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
my mistake
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
and that wasn't the time of day he landed the trick, that had a special meaning, shaun explned it to everybody one time, it had to do with everybody jumping at 3:13pm every day