Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    byerlyrider            07-31-2003, 11:11 AM Reply   
I'm thinkin about bying a zero flex tower, does anybody have advice?
THANX
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
After looking at mine shaking as I pull down the road with the boat on the trailer, I think it should be called "Moderate-Amount-of-Flex".

Maybe they are better now than back in 1999, when mine was made, but for the money you could probably do better.

There are certainly worse out there.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
I looked at a 03 x-2 at the boat show and it had a lot more shake than I expected when wobbling it by hand, nothing like the titan on the bu I looked at next which had zero movement.
Old    tommyadrian5            07-31-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
i have the older style zeroflex, like the ones on the 99 x-5's. There is a bit of side to side flex on it, and when i have both board racks loaded i can hear the aluminum ping and creak when it flexes going over waves. I don't know how the newer ones are.
Old    clint_h            07-31-2003, 12:43 PM Reply   
I have an '03 X9 and it was rock solid untill I added a pair of B-530s and a light bar. Now with all the weight up there it definitely has some shake to it on rough water. With that being said it looks great on the boat and I haven't had any problems with stress cracks.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
Oh yeah and the cracks, oooohhhhh the cracks.

I have had 4 welds crack on mine.
Old    tommyadrian5            07-31-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
What do you do if a weld cracks

Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
I love mine. Racks full, factory speakers and factory bimini and it is solid.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 3:20 PM Reply   
Tom,

You can have the area re-welded. Fluid Concepts did the reweld on my ZeroFlex and they have held up great since then.

If you need it done, I highly suggest you work with someone that is very knowledgeable about welding aluminum or stainless depending upon the flavor of your tower.
Old    debsxstar            07-31-2003, 4:12 PM Reply   
I have a ZeroFlex on my 02 Xstar and I really like mine. It's solid. I just had the bolts work their way kind of loose once. No other problems since we tightened them down real good though.
Old    byerlyrider            07-31-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the imput!
Old    tommyadrian5            08-01-2003, 5:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help Chaun, I don't think i have any bad welds yet, but i'll look it over today, It sure does creak when its loaded up.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2003, 6:29 AM Reply   
I had to tighten mine on my '02 within the first 6 months of use, but now it's fairly solid.
Other than that it's a little taller than most towers.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-01-2003, 6:44 AM Reply   
david, i beg to disagree on the taller than most towers statement:

http://www.djtimmy.com/wakeboarding/4_5_03/boat_crew_2.JPG

good luck on the closing today!
Old    typer            08-02-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
I have a 99 xstar with the zeroflex 4 boards lights tower speakers and a boss bimini clamped to the tower and its awsome solid as a rock and no cracking or noises. Just love it.
Old     (wakeair1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
Lately we have seen a big call for Mastercraft owners who want to replace there factory towers with a solid, bigger tube aftermarket tower. Fortunatly for us we can custom build a tower to work close to the factory holes. Let me know how I can help. Check out our web site www.wakeair.com
on there we have pictures of a X-Star we replaced a factory tower and put on our AX2 model.
Brian
1 877 Wake Air
Old    adkelley            08-04-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
I have a Zero Flex on my 02 X star and it is totally loaded (lights 4 racks and 8 speakers) and people always comment on how rock solid it is(even in the Lake Powell channel in 4 foot stuff)
Old    mrstark1            08-04-2003, 5:50 PM Reply   
They don't hold up well to bridges. Don't ask me how I know....