Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

Just wanted some opinions on this board. If you ride it, what do you think of it? Either the plat or the foam, doesnt matter, I am looking for some critique on the shape characteristics mostly. A step up or down from the 05 abs, and if so, why?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-13-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
i dont have the foam version but i rode the 05 platty 141 for 8 months and it broke so they replavced it with an 06..i cant really tell the difference in the overall ride or feel between the two but they say they dished out the upper deck in the tip and tail areas which you can see..

heres my thoughts on the board as of now,

its a good board to step into to but not for a newbie ,it will buck the nose up real high for those not expecting it..so yea nice choice for someone looking for a board with good/great pop ,soft landings,stable ride on edge but breaks free with or without center fins while flat...

its a tad slow especially in bad water but its is a good crossover board ,nice pop soft landings and decent speed..
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help bill. Keep em coming people, I need your reviews!

(Message edited by garret_s on July 13, 2006)
Old     (poserondubs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
just picked up an 06 platinum 141...i absolutley love this board...weird no pun intended....try to demo it if u can..youll love it... and bill pretty much nailed it...

DRew
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
While I haven't ridden both the 06 platinum and the '06 standard core, I have ridden the '06 standard core and here are my thoughts: Pop with the board is a little bit bucky, super soft landings (probaly one of the softest landing boards out there, very slow (one of the slowest boards i've ever been on - feels like it drags through the water). All this being said it is probaly the best selling board now a days, or at least CWB's best - it is a good board, just a too slow for me.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Sick board. I love the straight up pop. It is slow, but it makes up for it by giving you a tone of hangtime. It's the same board as the '05 with a slightly different top sheet. They say they changed the flex pattern, but I couldn't feel a differenc.

BTW... The foam version is nice, but the Platinum is on another level. Light and stiff with tons of pop.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
Ok, here is another question: How are they contstruction-wise? Anyone had any issues? My next board will probably be used for 2 years, so I need something that will last. Any ideas?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Do you hit sliders?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Nope. Just wake to wake stuff, but I try to take lots of stuff big, which means big falls.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
I'm a die hard CWB fan and I love my Absolute. I have seen three of the Platinum's break this year but they have a two year warranty and were quickly replaced. The Absolute can be susceptible to this because they made the board crazy thin. If you ride hard enough to break it you don't have to worry as CWB's warranty is top notch.

As for the ride, I must say I am so hooked on it. I've been riding the Absolutes for three years now and this years is so sick. I feel like its faster than last year as the rails seem a bit thinner. I ride real vertical and tend to go wake to wake mostly, this board is perfect for straight up pop. I also ride it finless and can not describe how sick it feels on the water, loose but with enough edge to come in on a hell cut. Send it on edge and hold on, you are about to get booted hard. The pop can be a little aggressive but once you get it dialed it is such a sweet ride. I know I sound weird but dammit I love this shape!!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Big Heavy is right they did thin up the molded fins for 06 along with the top shaping changes and thinning the molded fins did make the 06 a LITTLE faster, but not much faster then the 05.
Get on one and ride it and you will see for yourself, sick sick shape!!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Is the plat more prone to breaking because of the core? Or do both of the boards have the same issues? My problem would be that I will be at school, away from a shop, and would be out of luck.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
You dont have to take it back to the shop you bought it at, you can just send it back to CWB if you had any problems. I have sold lots of Absolutes over the years and had very few come back for wannenty due to breaking or for any other reasons. They are great boads. I do think the foam version holds up better then the Platty though.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
I love the board too, interestingly though since I broke my 05 plat a week or two ago Ive been borrowing a friends 04 lute and I like this shape better (this years pure/flame)

Demo if you can bro.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Ya the 04 shape is a faster board then the 05/06 absolutes. Alot of riders feel the same way Mike.
I cant wait to get my hands on Adkisons 07 Transend, got some coming in next week. I have heard the 07 Trancend is really sick cant wait.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
can't demo sadly. Are the pure and the flame the "exact" same mold, or have they changed the construction techniques? I would be up for a faster board, if they are the same quality as the old absolutes...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
It is the exact same mold as the previous years 'lutes. Molds are expensive and they can use them for years so.... The construction and glassing are exactly the same, they just don't offer a Platinum version like they did when it was the Absolute. They are a good shape, my preference is for the new one...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
The Flame and Pure are also a hundered bucks cheaper.
You can get one at most shops for 319.00
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-15-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
Hey Garret we still need to get out and ride. I'm lookin at the 06 absolute platnium as well and will probably buy one in the next few weeks to try it out. If I do we'll hook up and you can try it out as well.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Mark: I am down. You still got my contact info? What days are you good?
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-15-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
Yeah I have your number save in my phone, I'm going out tomorrow morning at 6 when there is glass and no other boats. Monday is the only day thats not good for me. I get off work at 3:30 so any other day would be good.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2006, 2:29 AM Reply   
I just got a 05 platinum blem off ebay from overtons for 240 and I love it.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2006, 10:47 PM Reply   
I had zero inverts and I stopped progressing like 5 years ago.

Then...I got the '06 Absolute Platty and I learned 2 new inverts in two weeks. I am on my way to learning a few more. This board rocks! Huge pop, easy edge control, and more than fast enough for me.