Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-30-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
Im with Greg on this one, Wakeboarding came from a mix of Water sking and surfing (Ski+surf=Skurfer) Both where around long before Skateboarding. So there you go!! GRAB it any way you want!!!
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-30-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Big Heavy, who said your grab wasnt legit. if you are grabbing between your feet or on the nose or tail, its fine. looks like your grab is perfectly in between your feet.
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2006, 12:07 AM Reply   
dude, Henshaw sucks no matter where he grabs
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-31-2006, 12:24 AM Reply   
I would say, straight up, that wakeboarding came from surfing first, and the waterski influence (or a strong one) came in later. In a surfing mag i have, dick pope (I think that's his name--I'm too tired to look it up) was also given credit for doing some early boat surfing and supporting that whole thing (big time waterski dude).

And you can use the argument that surfing was around before skating (so eff it), but even surfers will admit that surfers were able to give the skaters skateboarding (like sidewalk surfing and the early style maneuvers like berts and what have you), but skating gave the grabing and aerials back to surfing.

EDIT: Hi russian. I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents and say that a "toeside" wake jump is what I'd consider a frontside air. It's the same idea as edging up the frontside wall in a half pipe, or approaching a rail frontside, or even when you do re-entry tricks, and you have a frontside re-entry and a backside re-entry.

(Message edited by electricsnow on October 31, 2006)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-31-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
i buy videos and go to pro events to watch the pros go big ,do tricks i can only dream of and enjoy the sport im into..

I dont care where they grab the board while doing all this,just being able to go big and tweak out their tricks 15ft in the air is insane and fun to watch..Being critical of their runs wasnt the point of the pics and videos..

BTW Why can't new grabs be invented and done whatever way you want to if over the last 15 years many new invert and spin tricks have been invented and accepted,why not new and unusual grabs??

seems to me thats the natural progression of the sport and wakeboarding doesnt need to always be compared to snowboarding,skating,and surfing..

Have fun and ride doing whatever feels good to you as and individual rider..
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-31-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
"Skateboarding is the reason there is snowboarding and wakeboarding."

Skateboarding's roots are in SoCal. Kids needed something to do in the summer when it was flat / blown out (most of the time down there). Core skateboarders don't own boats nor did they snow ski back then. Heck back in the 60's and 70's they didn't even own surfboards a lot of the time and only went to the beach on sundays with their parents.

When I started skiing on 1965 there was exactly 1 other guy at my school that did it, it was about as non mainstream a sport as you can get. My kids all grew up on skiis and switched to snowboards when they were finally invented. Kids can't afford to snowboard anymore then they can afford boats, it wasn't like a bunch of skateboarders showed up at the mountain and said "let's invent a snowboard". The early adopters were all converted skiers. There was an article in surfer magazine showing Mike Doyle (a surfer) shredding a Colorado resort on a mono ski but it never went anywhere and he's never been credited with dreaming up the snowboard.

Wakeboarding derived from water skiing/boating. Core skateboarders don't own boats. I bought my kids a skurfer way back when because it looked like fun and the kids were all trying to ride a hydroslide standup anyway. There were a number of kids in the ski club who were doing aerials, grabed tricks etc on knee boards at that point and there was a natural progression from that as well as from trick skiis. Again I don't remember a bunch of skateboarders showing up in weighted down slalom boats and inventing wakeboarding.

The technology behind wakeboards and snowboards came from the water ski and snow ski industry - that alone would really define the roots of the sport.

The skateboard influence is obvious in both but it's not the grandfather of either.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-31-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
hahahahahahah, why does eveyone get so worked up over nothing, its just wakeboarding! Just got old fun, does matter where the F- you grab you board!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-31-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Rich, I don't know if you meant to exclude surfing from your little thing or not. But the surf industry made the first boards for boat surfing/wakeboarding/freeboarding (they were mass produced and of the "pop out" variety). I have a different ad that advertises one of these (and I know others out there have them as well) but this is the one I'm willing to cough up.

As for snowboarding, the roots vary. I'm pretty sure that jake burton and tom sims used to ski, but tom also conceeds that he was inspired by skating when it came to his first "snowboard."

Upload
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-31-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
question since this has gotten into a stink-bug vs "proper poke" bash/debate... what if I choose to grab 75% forward on the board indy... not in front of my front foot... and poke out my back leg and shifty? I suppose its not stylish because my hand is between my legs? heavy I think your t/s grab is ill, I like doing those except yours is wayyyy more shifted out than mine
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-31-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
Snow, I need to clarify what I meant, I realize that both Tony Finn and Jake Burton as well as the others involved with them at the time had a heavy surf influence and so I agree you have to credit that as they "planted the seeds" so to speak for both snowboarding and wakeboarding. But the "raw material" needed for both those sports to flourish existed because of the existing snow ski and water ski population that was already in place. And having that base allowed both the sports to become what they are today.

Skateboarding, of all the extreme sports, exists because the skateboard has the cheapest cost requirements (equipment wise) and is the least demanding in terms of geography (ie the conditions needed to pursue the sport). To say that skateboarding or even surfing is the main reason wake/snow boarding exists at all today is giving those sports way too much credit IMHO. Let's face it geography has more to do with what sports make it and are pursued then anything else, it's a little tough to surf in Colorado or snowboard in florida.

But hey I love surfing, done it over half my life. But I never felt like skiing or wakeboarding had to (or needed to) mimic it. You can't duplicate riding waves with any other sport I know of, and all the skating I did as a kid never took precedence over getting out in the water.

end of rant, sorry, back to legit grabs vs illegit.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-31-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
O.K let me clarify real quick. What I should have said was that skateboarding is the reason that wakeboarding and snowboarding are what they are today(you could throw snowskiing in their also). Snowboarders and wakeboarders did not get their tricks form skiing(snow or water). Skateboarders invented most of the tricks that are the basis for alsmost all of the "extreme sports".
Obviously I am aware that surfing is the origin, But surfers didnt even do very many tricks until they saw what skaters were doing(kickflips, shovits,ollie 360's etc).
So no matter where wake and snow derived from, they got the majority of their "tricks" and style from modern day skateboarding
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
What do a "tindy" and a "tailfish" have in common?

Both are lame, and are not grabs...

PS: You can throw "slobs" and "nelons" in there too.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-08-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
I agree with Nick V
tuckknee HS indyUpload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-08-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Sorry, but IMO that doesn't look anything as good as Henshaw's Tindy. It looks goofy to me to be reaching around your back knee. As far as legitimacy goes..... Skaters, Surfers and Snowboarders don't think we're a legit board sport anyway. I couldn't care less about any of that. I've done, and do all of those other sports. If their "core" athletes think we're lame for grabbing tindy, then I think the skaters are lame for wearing tight jeans. It's all a matter of style. Now, let's get over this and start talking about board shorts over wetsuits.....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-08-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
Incidently, Brinks... I think that's a dope pic, but I'm not sure about reaching around your back knee. Do that same move grabbed tail or tindy and it'd look dope. BTW, I started doing the tindy grabs years ago, before I had any idea what a tindy was. It was only recently when all these debates came up that I started doing them as a joke because it gets all the "purists" worked up.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-08-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Anybody who goes wakeboarding and is actually thinking to themselves, "I better grab here because that's how skateboarders do it....", should just quit wakeboarding. Seriously.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2006, 3:27 AM Reply   
eh, i don't care where i grab the board. i'm just thankful i can still grab it!
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-10-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
C.I.E
you mean something like this tailgrab
Upload
Photo By Isler and the photo in my last post by Hahn
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-10-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Hey Brinks, how are you and your family?
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-11-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Everythings been great. How is AZ ? When are you guys coming to FL?
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-11-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
I think Larry will coming out after christmas for a couple weeks.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-11-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Brinks, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I just think it looks more natural not to be reaching around your back knee.

Nice, man. That pic is sick
Old     (spicoli512)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-20-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
This pic is from a while back before I even knew what a Tindy was. Its a tindy grab behind the heel rather than on the toeside of the board.

Is this still uncouth? Lemme know..thanks

Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-20-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
that would be a tailfish.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-20-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
and yes a tailfish is as lame as tindy.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-20-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
I beg to differ. I think that a tailfish is a legit grab. Have you ever seen Lyman take a poked tailfish 20 feet into the flats (ButterEffect by BFY). Thats gotta be a grab.
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
i agree with nick v 100%

collin kicks ass and those shots of kevin henshaw are ugly.

3 words... dont-grab-tindy
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-08-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
Kaesen you have those same shorts
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
what does that mean randy? haha