Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
First motor at 90 hours second after 15 hour third at around 115
I have a 2005 24ft supra Has anyone heard of any problems with these boats
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-09-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
Not the boat, but the engines, yes.
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-09-2006, 10:28 PM Reply   
Stick a PCM in it...it WON'T happen again.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-09-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
You gotta put oil in 'em!! Sorry, couldn't resist...(J/K-LOL)!!
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
How often should you have to put oil in a new motor ??
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-09-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
You have to give a little more info than that. That's a serious problem to just post a 2 sentence question.
I've personally never heard of that on any newer boat, much less a Supra. What does your dealer say? Have you talked to Skiers Choice or Indmar?

(Message edited by c4avalanchen on November 09, 2006)
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-09-2006, 10:42 PM Reply   
Indmar recomends changing the oil after the first 20 hrs, then every 50 after that. How much weight are you running? What prop?

fastfastfast: What makes you so positive that a PCM wont have these kinds of issues. The GM 5.7 is a very reliable engine when taken care of. Where have you heard of problems such as these before?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-09-2006, 10:42 PM Reply   
Hopefully the dealer made sure the oil levels were in operating range before you got the boat back. Motor should burn very little, if any.

You are located in North Bend?
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
Indmar says a new motor can burn up to 1/3 qtper 18 hrs I had 75 hrs since last oil change
that would be 1.3 qt used at time #3 blew up.
It was missing 3 1/2 qts .I had check the oil about 15 hrs before it broke and the oil was close to full . But indmar doesn't want to cover this under waranty .My dealer is going to someone higher up the food chain at Indmar I will find out on Monday if they will cover it .
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 10:50 PM Reply   
Yes I am in North bend
I am running all of my stock ballast.
Running the prop the factory put on it.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-09-2006, 10:52 PM Reply   
Brother in law owns the Sears store there. Beautiful area, any place close to ride? (was up there last summer)
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 11:09 PM Reply   
we have a nice lake ten miles away never crowed we are always looking for someone to ride withup here .

E-mail me next time you are up we go out 3 to 4 days a week
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-09-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
Which motor 8.1 or the 340? The 8.1 is notorious for burning oil but not to the point that you are speaking. Also there seems to be more to the story if Indmar does not want to cover it under warranty. I have dealt with Indmar quite a bit over the past few years at the dealers I have worked with and they have been a stand up company on everything. It probably helps that we are 20 minutes from their factory though.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-09-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
Cool, I'd like that. Last time up there, saw one of those aluminum river jet boats with a wakeboard tower & board racks! If you get into Sears, say hey to Scott for me (Jeff).
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 11:30 PM Reply   
It is the 340 hp . There is more to the story , They say the lack of oil is my fault.
I say bad motor burt oil to fast then blows up .
They said no oil cause motor to break my fault.

as i said I checked the oil 15 hrs before no problem then it burns about 3 1/2 qrts and breaks

!5 hrs for me is three days I don.t think you should have to check the oil daily in a 60k boat

But I could be wrong.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-09-2006, 11:38 PM Reply   
3.5 qts in 15 hours is not right... Dealer should be able find proof of oil burning (deposits) on the valves/seals/bearings. That should be enough proof that oil was burning, and not simply run dry.
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-09-2006, 11:48 PM Reply   
My dealer has been great through all three motors he seems to think when he talks to someone with some juice at Indmar it will be covered .they can look at the computer and see that the boat was not ran with low oil pressure very long .

Tackleberry what part of cali are in .
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-09-2006, 11:57 PM Reply   
Canyon Lake (south Riverside county), southern Cal.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-10-2006, 12:08 AM Reply   
Is there any oil in the bilge area? If you are burning oil like that, you should see excessive smoke rolling out the back of the boat.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-10-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yep, the transom should be black with soot form the oil. Also, the rider getting ready on the platform should need a gasmask to stay back there. It could be a problem with oil circulation not getting in the top end. Maybe if you can describe what happens when it quits, someone with engine skills can give you more info.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-10-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
I'm a little shocked at this one. The chances of this happening rate up there with winning the lottery. (maybe you should buy sometickets) you rarely hear of A motor blowing up let alone three in 220. When you say three new motors, do you mean brand new motor from Indmar or are they just replacing parts?

The odds of three brand new blown motors are very minute.

None the less hope things work out for you, adn you get the problem sovlved,
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
there was no oil in the bilge this time . we did not notice any smoke behind the boat ,howevewr while wake surfing the last time i did notice the exaust smell was stronger than it normal
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-10-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
I assumed that they are just fixing(rebuilding) the same motor, or they are putting a "new" rebuilt each time that probably had the same problem as the original. If not, then Danny needs to play Powerball this weekend, lol....
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-10-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Under Warranty, the manufacturer always has the option of what, new vs. rebuilt, is used as a replacement. If no major smoke, then my guess, with the limited info we have, that something is not allowing the oil to circulate properly. Did the engine seize when it stopped? or could you turn it over?
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
When the first motor broke a rod went through the side of the motor all oil was recovered from the Bilge at aprox 90 hr.

The second motor blew at 15 hrs during breakin .I never even put any ballast in . they told me after that it was a reconditioned motor .The oil was fine.

Third motor was new it lasted about 115 (That was in may )All three motors went different this time I was heading back to the dock after a great session Running at 28mph notice the boat was slowing looked at the gauges temp fine oil pressure low . paddle the boat in took it to the dealer. when the dealer started the boat to check it out It blew a rod through the block .

By the way I ask Many time what did they learn about the first two motors ,My dealer said indmar never told him what the cause might have been. ???
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
It did not seize the third time .

Second time it was hnockig bad so I shut it down and got towed

First time boom
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-10-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
That is crazy stuff. SBC's don't just blow up and or throw rods outta the block. I've seen extremely abused sbc's last forever. I'd love to see any of those engines after they're pulled and torn down. Hope they get it squared away for ya.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-10-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Upload

Sorry bro.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-10-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
This is crazy:
One I could see it happening, still a rare occurance. Three no way!
I have to agree with (Big heavy) its time you get a new boat and they (dealership) can fix your old one and have the problems to keep it running.
There are buyback suits for boats, not as know or used as autos.
Get a strong trade in value on this boat and get a new one or call an attorney.
G
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
I started looking in to Lemon Law last night . it seems in Oregon You Have to start the proces in the first year .I could be wrong . I am going to give my dealer one more chance to to talk Indmar on Monday . If they will not cover it then I will talk to my Lawyer .
Old     (marknjenn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Maybe someone has a beef with you or is jelouse and putting something in your gas tank? Is it stored outside? I have heard of people doing stuff to nice cars because they can't afford one.
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
It is indoors most of the time . however I do park it infront of my house sometimes . (Against the cc&rs of my subdivision .)
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       11-10-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Danny,

We have people on our end looking into this as well. Larry, Indmar's customer service mgr, is out of town till sometime next week. I think Rob Loucks with our company has your contact info from Tobby and will be in touch.

Rick
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-10-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
What I don't understand on how you throw a rod out of the block with a motor turning such low PRM?

I've seen a 5.7 vette throw a rod, but then again reving to 7k and spraying a 200 shot nitrious with cams and head work running 10 sec 1/4 miles.....

something isn't being told here...... are you letting the motors warm up? proper oil?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-10-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
are you breaking the engine in properly- you should change the oil the first time after 10 hours too.
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-10-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
mine had engine problems the third week we had it have you talked to the dealer
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-10-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
my mercruiser has an alarm that sounds when you get low on oil, dont Indmars have that?
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-10-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
First, is there water getting in to the cylinders? I have had some demo derby engines blow rods out the block because of that. Second, have someone magnuflux the other rods and check the rod bolts. You may have gotten an engine with either bad rods or bad bolts and are blowing them one by one after each rebuild. Third, check the bearings, I have seen a couple of engines come from chevy without mismatched oil holes and that will cause an engine to throw a rod also if the rod mains aren't getting oil.
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Rick its nice to know that you are looking into the problem .I have been three weeks without my boat Luckly it is winter .
it would be nice to know what happened to the first 2 motors ?

Will ,The Dealer put the first 20 hrs on the new motor so they broke it in for me .

Red , as far as water They have told me nothing other than the oil missing 3 1\2 quarts

Greg , the oil was put in by the Dealer .I always warm up my boat .
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-10-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
2 blown engines = boat back to factory

3 is just unheard of
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       11-10-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
Wow! Hey danny, I may have missed it, but are they replacing the engine or rebuilding it? Sorry to hear about your problem on this one...everybody deserves a reliable boat. Not many hours on it either. Do they ave ANY diagnosis on any of the three engines? I would think the warranty people would "autopsy" the engine to see if any others might have the same problem.
Old     (swoopa)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-10-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
Survivor , They said the second motor was reconditioned ,and the third was a new crate motor . as far as diagnosis I ask many times what happened to the first to motors ,My dealer said they told him nothing .. They may not want anyone to know the problem . I just want to go wakeboarding !!!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
"What I don't understand on how you throw a rod out of the block with a motor turning such low PRM?"

Low oil pressure, that last rod doesn't get oiled. Heats up and expands, the factory clearances go away, so it's even tighter on it's friction surface. Heats up more, melts and snaps.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       11-11-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I agree with you Danny...Every boat I ride behind looks the same....Great! Come on down to Nor-Cal and ride...you are welcome anytime.