Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       06-07-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
So my new Watson 139 came in and it seems like the stance is to wide. I have not installed my boots but I stood on the board at the smallest stance and it seems a little too wide. Im 5'7-8, 135lbs. I've been riding a 134 and thought a bigger board would be better. Right now I'm sure I can return it for a 135 but not sure what to do. Thx
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-07-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
The wrong stance will (may) roach your knees. It is or it isn't. Only you can determine it. Lots of guys on here like the extra wide stance. Others do not.
I put boys in a linebacker stance and wherever their feet fall, that's where the boots go.
Not that it means anything but I'm 5'11 168 lbs and ride a 139, #1 son is 98 lbs and rides a 130 Bill.
Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       06-08-2014, 1:54 PM Reply   
Well if I take the linebacker stance then I'm at the second set of holes but when I stand up it feels to wide. I'm just hesitant to open the board because I wouldn't be able to return it. What size do you guys think I should go with 135 or stay with the 139. 220 views and only one comment, come on guys share your input thx
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-08-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
At your size and weight, either option is fine. HOWEVER If I were you, I'd just keep the watson and move the boots in. You'll benefit from the greater surface area through bigger pop and softer landings, and get used to the stance or just move it in further again. I'm assuming that you're still young?so if that is the case you will probably need the bigger board over the coming year.

Last edited by razorjaw; 06-08-2014 at 2:03 PM. Reason: Assumption may be wrong...
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
^^ what Will said
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2014, 5:03 PM Reply   
It's hard for me to imagine the narrowest stance being too wide for you. I typically have ridden a fairly narrow stance and managed to finally widen it up over time after repeated recommendations at the park. But even still I never used the narrowest available stance. BTW, I'm 5-7 139lbs and currently ride a 138 all the way out. Previously rode a 140 one notch in.
Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       06-08-2014, 6:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
It's hard for me to imagine the narrowest stance being too wide for you. I typically have ridden a fairly narrow stance and managed to finally widen it up over time after repeated recommendations at the park. But even still I never used the narrowest available stance. BTW, I'm 5-7 139lbs and currently ride a 138 all the way out. Previously rode a 140 one notch in.
Ok that makes me feel better, I pulled out one off my old 140 boards and I was close to the last notch (12yr old board) so I guess as time has went on the stance has gotten wider. I guess Im just use to a more narrow stance so now I'll widen it and see how it goes. What are the benefits of a wider stance? More stability?
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
What year bindings do you have? Alot of companies switched to a smaller base plate a few years ago, resulting in some weird stance options.

I prefer a wider stance, I feel it gives you better board control, balance .... and it just looks better. Landings also tend to be a bit easier on the knees - but make sure you aren't going too wide