Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
I have a 26' Bumper Pull Travel Trailer and a Supra 21v and I'm tired of trying to find somebody else to pull one or the other when we want to go somewhere for the weekend. I know this can be done but how safe is it with a bumper pull travel trailer?? I know some of you guys are piggy backing but not sure if you are with bumper pull.

I'm in Texas, travel trailer has elec. brakes on all 4 wheels, boat trailer is tandem with inertia (sp?) brakes and pulling with a 3/4 ton dodge cummins. The travel trailer has weight dist. hitch and sway bar, even though I usually don't need them, I'm sure I would in this case. I think our legal length is 75', I'm sure I would be close to that...

What hitch would be good for the travel trailer? receiver? I think my TT bumper is bolted directly to the C-channel frame, I need to double check that.

Thanks for any input, I'm just kicking this idea around and wondering if it's worth pursuing.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-02-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
I have seen a couple of people do it looked pretty scetchy to me (mostly with small boats or jetskis). I pull tandom with a fifthwheel and I am about 73' don't think I would try that kind of legth with a bumper pull. I would also check with the state regulations I know in some states the first trailer has to be a fifhwheel. my advice if you want to pull tandom is sell the bumper pull and get a fifthwheel much safer.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-02-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
You can only do it if the first trailer is a 5th wheel.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-02-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
I'm with Jarod on this. Dont do it. Even if its legal you are putting a lot of faith in a 2 5/16 ball. I to tow doubles because of the reason you want to, but do it right. Get a 28' 5th wheel (can be had at a cheep price right now) get the Class A license and be safe. Here is my rig plus Jarod may post his to so you can see the difference.
Attached Images

Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-02-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
not the best pic. I forgot that my uncle tried doing a tandom bumper pull had a 25' camper and a16' older bass boat he didnt have the weight quite even long story short had to call a flat bed tow truck to take his boat trailer back home with no axles under it from it swaying to much.
Attached Images

Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Well this is enough info to not even attempt it! Thanks for the input guys, your right Bryan, I need to just get a fifth wheel and Class A license..... or better friends with trucks. Thanks for the visuals too.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-01-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   

Just got back from an awesome camping trip and our maiden voyage with the entire rig. The camper is easily removed after you get to the campground in about 15 minutes. You then have the truck to launch the boat, go to town, etc.

The rear of the camper folds out to a tent, the dinette is a slideout with a bunk bed, and there is a queen over the cab. Sleeps seven! We had seven kids watching a movie in the cabover, while 6 adults were hanging out- all inside the camper!

Going down the road iIt handled great! I have a rear camera mounted on the camper that also has sound.

f350 drw
lance 1131 with tent
2000 SAN

All paid for- cash
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-01-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
^^^and hence the name "coinless" J/K . Nice setups guys.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-01-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
That is a killer setup, Bruce. It's like a 4x4 super-C transformer!! Time to put some A/T tires on it, and a receiver hitch on the front for a winch & dirtbike(s) carrier.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-01-2010, 10:09 PM Reply   
I just got my hitch put on my 25 ft 5th wheel Friday and pulling the boat behind it tomorrow !

Man I just got to remember to keep it around 55 !
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-01-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
I feel like those rigs are super sketchy even with a 5th wheel. I recall seeing one turned over on the highway with the boat sitting off the trailer and the camper turned over on it's side.
Old    SamIngram            06-01-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
Check out what they tow in Australia.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-14-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
jarod and bryan how long is your set ups
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-14-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
Dave Im at the legal limit at 75'
In Calif you can go to 75' if the center fifth wheel is shorter than 28'6" and Im right at it. If the center trailer is longer than 28'6" the overall length drops to 65'. They do not count the swim deck. Also I am right at my weight limit. I have taken extra precautions with brakes on all 12 wheels and also an exhaust brake for the long down hills coming from Vegas.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
bryan thanks for all the info i glad i asked before i bought a trailer the i was looking at was 31 feet
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-15-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
i just looked at boat mate trailers website and had a thought... they have a picture with a motorcycle on the back of a custom made boat trailer which made me wonder what would be the problem with a custom boat trailer that had a removable hitch that you could tow the travel trailer with? Im sure that'd be less trouble than selling your travel trailer and that whole route. In case i didn't make sense the order would be your truck towing the boat that tows the travel trailer.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2010, 12:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
......... what would be the problem with a custom boat trailer that had a removable hitch that you could tow the travel trailer with? ..
Custom boat trailer would have to have the suspension & tongue to handle the weight. No trailer any of us have is even close....... except maybe Lon's X-80 trailer. Guess it's available now too.