Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-17-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
Went out last night for some post-work action. After pulling in a little fishing boat, we were taking out last set of the evening when the after a fall the driver looked back at me and said I had to swim back to the boat.....we were out of gas. Normally being the only boat on the water is a good thing, but not so much last night. After 4 of us decided swimming it in wasn't going to work, and paddling got us about 35 feet, we called a friend who came out with a gas can and his fishing boat to save us. Thank god it was a nice night! All in all a great evening, and now we know when the gague reads empty, it doesn't mean you have 1 set left!
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
I was actually happy for you after I finished reading your post. The title makes it sound like a season-ending injury took place. Congrats on only running out of gas!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-17-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
We had the same problem last friday except we were not really out of gas. Apparently I barely hit the kill switch just enough to make it not start and we got towed in, stopped and got gas on the way home and when we got home the boat still would not start. well after a little investigation we realized it was the kill switch. I thought if you removed the kill switch the boat would not even turn over. That is why we did not even thnk of it cause the engine was turning over.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
John,
I had a moment like that 2 years ago. Boat was running a bit bad but not bad enough to concern me too much. I shut down to put a skier in then could not get it to turn over. I even replaced the key switch on the water thinking it was bad. (I was on its last legs any how.) After trying everything I could think of we begged a tow back to the dock.

About half way to the dock I took the throttle out of gear and cranked it up. Boy I felt stupid.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
Gorege I did that same think 2 weeks ago. I thought I was having battery problems because wouldnt turn over at all. No just had the boat in gear. My wife wouldnt let me hear the end of it that day
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-17-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Happened to me a couple years ago a few times. My gas gauge didn't work at all so I was always topping it up. A few times we went out thinking there should still be lots. Nope. Got towed in a couple times before I had a spare gerry can on board and finally installed a new gauge. I still don't always trust the new gauge either.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
never trust the guage...we always look at the tank...if it's splashin you got a set left...it not we start prayin..
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
haha well thats not that bad your title made it sound worse.
a few years ago me and my family drove over an hour just for a day of wakeboarding, and realized we didn't bring a boat key.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
I always fill 'r up before we head out.

glad to hear it's not a season ending injury!
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-17-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Yeah, I guess my title was a little misleading! Definately glad it wasn't an injury!
Britt - I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. Felt like a winner!
David - that sucks!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-17-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
Man I run out of Gas so much its so embarrassing. At least once a month. I even keep a spare in the boat and still run out.
Old    Slingshot            06-17-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
I loved my old boat! If I was turning and it ran out of gas (My gauge did not work) I would just shut it off, empty all the sacs and leave the cove in just an idle. I could idle my boat all the way back to the launch and it would die right as it got to the dock. Pretty cool. The worst thing ever was my starter went out on an evening run and I was the only boat in the cove that evening. That was lame!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
Did it back to back two years ago. We usually fill up 2 5 gallon cans of gas and take them down to the boat dock. This usually suffices for our night session. We must of added a couple of extra sets both times because we ran out of gas heading back in. Luckily, both times we were close enough for us to swim the boat back.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-17-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
George - I have done that as well
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-18-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
So hears a question, how many gallons of gas do you guys burn per hour??? I think that with my X-Star Slammed out with 4,00lbs+ we are burning around 8-9 gallons an hour of gas on average.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-18-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
Ummmm, we put around 2500-3K in the Star and burn 6-8 GPH I think, not sure about the Tige yet