Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-04-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
Drew doesn't think much of it . . . .

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/pro-photo-reviews-articles/80030-canon-canon-5d-camera-mkii-video-mode-disaster.html
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-04-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Wow, that review is awful, and the dude is gettin' it in the comments! David Barry (today at 11:49am) wrote exactly what I was thinking:

quote:

Conclusion :-

The fact that I have taken the time to write this, probably indicates the degree of annoyance that I felt on reading Drew's scathing review. I think that he has completely missed the point on two counts.

First, this is a still camera that amazingly can do superb quality video. It is not a camera for taking hours of video of your family that no one but you is going to want to watch. There are plenty of cheap video cameras out there that will do an excellent job of that. I even have a Flip for just such use.

Secondly, producing high quality video is difficult! A few years ago I bought some (then) decent video gear with a view to taking some video. I found that the effort required to put all of the elements together that video requires, was very difficult, and that was before all of the time and effort that the editing process required. I couldn't produce something that I was happy with, with my existing level of expertise and without devoting more time to it than I was prepared to invest. I returned to still photography where I can produce something that I am at least marginally pleased without devoting weeks to it. Reverie, isn't "hype", it is an example of what someone who knows what they are doing and who is prepared to put in the enormous amount of time and effort that is required, can produce when given a quality piece of equipment. Drew is clearly not one of those people.

The 5D Mk II is not your family movie camera to hand to your wife to do point and shoot coverage of the school play. It is a camera that can add the ability to do some staggeringly interesting to the tool bag of the pro photographer who wants to put in the effort to learn video.

David.

Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-04-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
He hit that one on the head.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-04-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Yep, I don't think Drew's review is entirely accurate either. I guess someone with experience shooting a good prosumer HD cam like the HVX would need to actually road test the 5D2 to really know it's limitations.