Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    becky            08-05-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
Hi wake riders, We have a new invention that allows new wakeboard riders to get up easier and faster, and stay up. I can't disclose the idea at this time or I will have to shoot you. But this new invention is for any new rider of any age. This was how we started our youngest rider at the age of 3. You can spend more time pulling the rider than picking them up, and that means more riding time for everyone else, save on gas as well. My question is what would you pay to have a devise that allows you to help new riders?Your help greatly appreciated.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-05-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
I would realy need to know what it is to be able to put a price on it. For all we know, it could be a rope tying your hands to the handle so you can't let go. That would save gas. But to be serious, you would have to disclose your invention. If it is something simple, then the price should be low. If it is a complex design and process of manufaturing, then the price should be high.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-05-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Perhaps you should look into a patent before you try asking around for prices. That way, you could give us the actual product to take a look at without worrying about your idea getting stolen...
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Honestly I would never pay for such an invention for various reasons: 1)Sport is already expensive, why add new expenditure, 2) I think it is important for it take the skill that it does to get up, if it was easy then where is the thrill of accomplishment? and 3) I would never rob a rider of that sense of accomplishment plus I am not too sure if a 3 year old should be boarding quite yet, seriously what kind of a product is this? a board with a stick that you strap the person to? I don't see how else a three year old is riding
Old    wbhata            08-05-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
Well put BK.

I think I'm able to get anyone up and riding with very limited, but specific, instruction.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-05-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Thought about it a bit, and I call BS on this one.
Old    r_dub            08-05-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
$0.00

Sorry, I dont support cheating.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-05-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
being able to get up easier and quicker doesn't necessarily mean better or faster learning. learning to get up teaches alot about edging and turning as well.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-05-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
I'm sorry but this Spring we taught probably ten people to ride. Maybe two of them didn't get up on their first try. If your coach is good then wakeboarding is the easiest thing in the world. Plus who needs a crutch for something so basic? Good luck, just don't put the house up as collateral.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-05-2005, 11:19 AM Reply   
One Meeellion Dollars.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
Gracias Sanchez, btw I hope the D in your name doesn't stand for Dirty, then you would be Dirty Sanchez
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-05-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
LOL RYAN! Ban all cheat codes!
Old    wbhata            08-05-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
BK, what do you think it stands for?
Old    murrayair            08-05-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
Most people I have taught to wakeboard got up relatively quickly. Good instruction goes a long way in helping new riders, like Big Heavy said. But if you think you have a good idea, get a patent and roll with it. No harm in trying.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
Well i think it may stand for David or something, but possibly Dirty and that would be humorous
Old    becky            08-05-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I sent some of you a photo of my 5 year old wakeboarding. He started learning in the summer of 2003. The devise really helps him enjoy boarding. Tell me how old you all were when you started wakeboarding, and was it your parents who taught you??
Old    tigejohn21i            08-05-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
I wouldn't clutter my boat with another device unless it would fit into a board rack. I already carry a tube, ski, 2 wakeboards, knee board, ice chest etc.. no room.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-05-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
once they can get up, does this invention serve any other purpose?

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-05-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
Why bother.

Getting up on a wakeboard is super easy if the driver/coach is saying/doing the right thing.

I would pay zero dollars for your invention.
Old    7ftdubup            08-05-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
Rule 1 of Design- The price of manufacturing is in no way related to the price the consumer pays.
Old    becky            08-05-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
The device does have other uses for intermedite riders, but i can't say much right now. Thank you for asking. This devise won't clutter your boat, and again take into consideration who you would be teaching to wakeboard. We have 9 children, and only 2 used this device because of their age. One started wakeboarding at the age of 3 and one at 4. Maybe someday when you all have children you will want this just so you can say my kid can wakeboard. This is no different than training wheels for a bicycle.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-05-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
How about liability?

Does this device in anyway contribute to risk?

Wakeboarding in general is a paltry market. And, wakeboarders with 9 (or any) children is an even smaller paltry market.

If this thing costs more than $19.99 and consumes more space than a bread box, you will have a real hard time selling into this paltry market.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-05-2005, 2:29 PM Reply   
you have to realize the guys on this site are not your target market so dont listen to their criticism. Wally I/O families are the ones who need help getting up wakeboarding and they will spend money on your gadget.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-05-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
9 children and you still have $$$ to afford a boat and gear? My wife and I have awesome jobs and it's all we can do to get our happy asses and one child out a couple of times a week. You must make some serious jack or are trying to sell some jack.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
"Wally I/O families are the ones who need help getting up wakeboarding and they will spend money on your gadget."

Well said
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
stupid wallies
Old    jhair            08-05-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
My friend and I tought his son to Wakeboard this summer and he is 4. It took a little time to get him up and going, but it wasn't that bad.

Bottom line, I don't really think getting up is that hard. It's also a skill that you have to learn eventually unless you want to carry a device wherever you go.

I think some people might pay $10 - $20 for it, but not more than that.
Old    becky            08-05-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
Thank you so much for the input. I know where the criticism is coming from, and not discouraged. A good teacher is important, but not everyone is a good student. Us moms after 9 kids could use alittle help, we are not as strong as we like, but want to be more than a passenger. Everyone have a nice weekend.

Becky <><
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-05-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
Becky, sorry for being negative. I am all for innovation, I just doubt there is much money in niche wakeboarding products. Still, it could be fun to make it if you don't need to make any money.
Old    becky            08-05-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
Greatdane, thank you. I know that no one knows what this device looks like, and its hard to aprove of something you have never seen. We use it, and love it. Our son took some friends out on the lake. They let a friend use their board which was to advanced for the friend to use, plus they were a new rider. They had a hard time staying up. They put the device on and she managed to ride for 3 minutes before crashing. The young lady had a blast and I bet she finds a board that will fit her riding ability. Thanks again for everyones input.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       08-05-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I would buy your device but I'm not touching your devise for any amount of money. If you can't spell it on the second try - I'm not buying it from your..youse....you
Old    milo_lite            08-05-2005, 8:05 PM Reply   
becky iam intrested in your device, please post more information on it and how your goign among to distribute it. thanx and good luck
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
Becky, I also apologize the negativity of my post, and the point of the I/O families (i.e. the Johnsons just bought a boat, an HL board, a kneeboard, and are using a stretch rope, but can't figure out how to use the damn equipment...whatever is to be done.....well hey I saw that thing you use to help get up, duh of course we were supposed to get that to get up...now it makes sense...) is a very good one because I do think that your product could find a decent base in this market. Good luck, didn't mean it wouldn't be a sellable product, I PERSONALLY just wouldn't buy it for the reasons i stated above. Hope it works out for you!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2005, 11:10 PM Reply   
Why do I feel like we are playing 20 questions?

Old    becky            08-05-2005, 11:55 PM Reply   
B.K. May I ask why you think a 3 year old shouldn't be wakeboarding? When my son started wakeboarding, he called himself the "Wakeboard dude". He told everyone that he could wakeboard. I think he felt that sense of accomplishment you were talking about. Anyways, nice chatting with you.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2005, 12:31 AM Reply   
While I think some 3 year olds are completely capable of getting on the water, I don't feel that it's a stretch to say "I don't think a 3 year old should be wakeboarding" by any means. In other words, I think a vast majority of people would not find that statement unreasonable. But what do I know, I don't have any kids yet...

All that being said, I wish we could see what this invention looks like! I agree with the criticism on perhaps hindering some fundamental learning, but I do think you have a definite point in comparing this device (as I understand it from your vague descriptions) to training wheels. Training wheels aren't all bad, so you may have something with this invention. Video, pictures, please!
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-06-2005, 4:50 AM Reply   
This sounds like something that would bo worth posting as a DIY project,,,
nothing wrong with trying to make a buck though...
interested in more info on your product though!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-06-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
EXCLUSIVE SPY PHOTO OF THIS REVOLUTIONARY NEW INVENTION! SEE BELOW!

YOU WON'T BELIEVE YOUR EYES!

ANYBODY CAN WAKEBOARD!

ALIEN TECHNOLOGY!

STOLEN FROM THE CIA AND SOLD BY THE KGB!

Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-06-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
I'LL BUY ONE!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-06-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
If it would help me teach a 2-3 year old easily to help them build confidence, I would be interested (in a couple of years)!

You guys are bagging on this invention and you haven't seen it. Incase you don't recall Parks' first ride was on one of those trainer platform ski things. Is that cheating? He wasn't even a year old.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-06-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
gordon, remember how hard a time we had getting cody up? i think we have personally experienced a need for this. I started waterskiing at the age of four with those trainer skiis that had a rope attached to the ski and a rope/handle coming up from there, dont consider it cheating since i was slalom skiing by the age of 8!

www.wakecoupons.com
Old    edward            08-06-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
i have a two and a half yr old sister and i think she will be boarding before she is 4. i think there are some 3 year olds that are capable of wakeboarding and that the other ones maybe just aren't ready for something like that and shouldn't be pushed. like my mom told my friend when i was little and climbing trees and he couldn't get up in the tree and would ask my mom to lift him up there she would say "if you can't get up in the tree yourself then you probably shouldn't be up there"
Old    becky            08-06-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
Edward, your story is a perfect example, thank you. You were able to climb that tree, but your friend wasn't. Your friend had the passion and desire to climb that tree and he asked for help. I think your Mom knew that she shouldn't help someone elses child into a tree, but the moral of the story is some can learn the skill of wakeboarding faster and easier than others. Are we to punish those who can't learn as fast?
Old    tclagggym            08-06-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
See Photo. 4 years old.
lo
Proud Dad.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
thats priceless. what size board is that?
Old    tclagggym            08-07-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
HL Devine 119 Kid boots.
Old    robertt            08-08-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
Not trying to threadjack, but out of curiosity tim....

If she falls face first does she have the strength to flip the board back around? We are working on my 3 year old, but thats my biggest worry.

Old    wbhata            08-08-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
Guess you should have someone in the back of the boat ready to jump off RIGHT away after he/she falls.
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2005, 6:12 AM Reply   
I got my 6 yo daughter to go this year. Prior to this I was not going to force her and I wanted her to be able to roll over with the board and strong enough of a swimmer so someone doesn't have to go in the water with her all the time. I put her in the water and within half an hour she was up and goin 40 - 50 yds every try. So getting up on a board is the easy part, it is everything else that you add on to it that take time to learn. My son started when he was 7 and got up first try and made it half way around the lake. He also rides a skateboard all the time, so maybe start your kids on a skateboard to get them used to the carving and direction they want to ride.
Old    becky            08-08-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
We put our son into our swimming pool with his board on and coached him on how to flip the board and to paddle himself around. On the lake he did fine. There are times they can't get the board over. Once they have the rope you pull them in and help them flip the board. Great idea on the skateboard, we don't have the best luck with skateboards, rollerblades or bicycles. My kids get hurt. Believe it or not, my kids are safer on motorcycles, and wakeboards. Last night we used our devise and got a 8 year old girl up, and her 17 year old sister who had no luck learning last time she went out with friends. My 5 year old had fun wakeboarding last night, hes now trys ollies, so its time to take off the devise and let me go. ....Great picture of the little one wakeboarding, may I ask, is this a little girl or boy? I say girl because I don't see shorts. Great job.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-08-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
becky, dont post any more about the device until you actually post something about the device k? thanks in advance. we are all on the edge of our seats here, and i dont have kids!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2005, 11:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, thanks Mike. Seriously now, when I first read the initial post, I wasn't sure if it was a joke or something... and still I'm confused; are we being led on by someone trying to have a good laugh at us? Sorry for my skepticism.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-09-2005, 12:16 AM Reply   
seriously, the aww inspiring "DEVICE" needs to be unveiled.... this is lame.
Old    dr_wakeboard            08-09-2005, 5:53 AM Reply   
It's funny how you guys are like...'get a patent then we'll see from there'... do you realize that getting a patent is very expensive (10K in Canada) and it also takes a while for all the paperwork to go through.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-09-2005, 8:13 AM Reply   
its called patent pending...so you dont have to wait
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-09-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
TM -- If that's really the issue here then perhaps this person has no business even speaking about the product until the patent problems work out. Regardless of price/time, I still doubt that it's very recommendable to talk openly about an invention without a patent.
Old    becky            08-09-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
Sorry, not trying to upset anyone. I don't have a problem speaking about it because you don't even have a clue what it is, and your right that I shouldn't speak about the device until we have a patent. My lips are sealed.