Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-03-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
I have a Sony DCR-SR42 that I am unhappy with. I would like to upgrade to something better. What is the best option under $350?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
Anyone?
Old    Chaserwaser            08-05-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Im go out and buy the Kodak Playsport here in about an hour to shoot all weekend.... Every video ive seen on youtubeand stuff it has awesome quality it seems cant go wrong for like 120$ and ive been searching cameras up all day haha to see which will benefit me the most with wakeboarding and that one seems to be it!
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
I think it's between that and the flip ultra HD. Post you videos if you don't mind.
Old    Chaserwaser            08-05-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
Dont get the flip ultra, cause then you will be buying the water housing for it as well where as the playsport is already waterproof and my opinion takes alot nicer video
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
get the vholdr and a water proof case..... SO SICK Works better than the gopro, and has much better mounting options.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
-- nevermind

Last edited by hunter660; 08-05-2010 at 5:36 PM.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
How would it work shooting from the boat?
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-05-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
I found the playsport on EBAY for 165 with a tripod extra battery ang a 16 gig mem card... It shipped in 1 day and had it in my hand in 3days..
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
How would it work shooting from the boat?
do you just want something to shoot with from the boat? i guess the playsport would be the best bet then.....idk how much zoom you will get out of it, i know its minimal on my flip and it looses quality when you zoom.

If you are shooting wakeboarding from the boat do not get the vholdr or go pro. If you are shooting WAKESURFING from the boat DO get the vholdr, waterproof case, and windshield mount (i can tell you which one) and you can mount the camera on the transom right by the water, get a SICK angle and it looks killer. its fun to play with too...been shooting vid of the fish that the underwater LEDs attract.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
Can you post some video of the surfing and fish?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Yea I can, just gotta do a little chopping and upload, will get them up this afternoon.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   

from Joey Cavaretta on Vimeo.

Heres an older vid using the vholdr, was mounted right in front of the cushion. will get more up from the transom.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
All shot with a Vholdr in 720p (they also make a 1080p model)

Here are the fish during the day. Blue gills i think.

Some Fish that were hanging around the back of the boat at night

Surfing During the day. Camera mounted on the transom

Here is the night surfing video.

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-06-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
do you just want something to shoot with from the boat? i guess the playsport would be the best bet then.....idk how much zoom you will get out of it, i know its minimal on my flip and it looses quality when you zoom.

If you are shooting wakeboarding from the boat do not get the vholdr or go pro. If you are shooting WAKESURFING from the boat DO get the vholdr, waterproof case, and windshield mount (i can tell you which one) and you can mount the camera on the transom right by the water, get a SICK angle and it looks killer. its fun to play with too...been shooting vid of the fish that the underwater LEDs attract.
Gopro works that way too....

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Gopro works that way too....

yea it does, but i plan on using the vholdr on my snowboard/bike helmet and the vholdr mounts much cleaner. Ever seen a gopro mounted on a snowboard helmet? would be lost in the trees after one run/fall.

IMHO the vholdr is a better design, vid quality seems equal, but i like the vholdr much more.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-06-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
yea it does, but i plan on using the vholdr on my snowboard/bike helmet and the vholdr mounts much cleaner. Ever seen a gopro mounted on a snowboard helmet? would be lost in the trees after one run/fall.

IMHO the vholdr is a better design, vid quality seems equal, but i like the vholdr much more.
Yeah, I have mounted my gopro on my helmet a lot. Personally I don't really like the camera angle though because it looks weird (too high up). Much better to have camera chest mounted or mounted to the board itself.

Ever seen a vholder mounted directly to a snowboard? I have mounted my gopro that way with pretty cool results (done with my std def gopro, not the HD version)....

Last edited by shawndoggy; 08-06-2010 at 1:40 PM. Reason: add example of helmet mount vid
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-06-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
PS... not a knock at vholdr -- both cams (vholdr and gopro) have their pluses and minuses. The gopro is clunky looking and has a harder to use interface. They both have different lens angles. The vholdr has some issues with its response to vibration (say mounted to mtb handlebars, for instance).

If the OP is considering a POV (point of view) camera like the gopro or vholdr, I'd head over to mtbr.com (mountain bike review) and read through some threads in the videos subforum to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

For a regular hand held cam, it's hard to beat the canon vixia hf r100.

One thing to keep in mind is that while hd video is cool, it's also more resource intensive. You may find that your $300 camera leads to a $1200 computer to edit the video.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Yeah, I have mounted my gopro on my helmet a lot. Personally I don't really like the camera angle though because it looks weird (too high up). Much better to have camera chest mounted or mounted to the board itself.

Ever seen a vholder mounted directly to a snowboard? I have mounted my gopro that way with pretty cool results (done with my std def gopro, not the HD version)....

Havent seen the vholdr mounted to a board, but I know it can be done. The goggle mount or side helmet mount works real well and have seen tons of videos of people using them like that. The side tracks work pretty well.

all brands will have there goods and bads, for me the vholdr just worked out better. Ive loved it and have been really impressed so far.