Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
those of you that are saying "it's wakeboarding, not snowboarding," are you the same ones begging snowboarders to give wakeboarding their respect? just curious, is all.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-14-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
why would wakeboarders be asking for snowboarders' respect?.....ive never heard of any wakeboarder doing that.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
I just wanna point out that...

Wakeboarding has gone through 3 stages of shapes and tricks (at least):

1) Originally our sport borrowed surfboard shapes (Skurfer) and tricks (slayshin)
2) then it borrowed waterski shapes (skiboards) and tricks (wrapped spins)
3) most recently it borrowed snowboard shapes (original Hyperlite Roam, Hyperlite System...cough...lame..cough) and tricks (270's, grabbed double inverts)

I believe "it's wakeboarding, not snowboarding," but I do not care if snowboarders respect wakeboading. Take for example Halldor Helgason, Horgmo Torstein,Travis Rice or Shaun White. They kill in on snow but I'm sure they would all struggle doing a big, smooth, grabbed toeside backside 180 into the flats. They could not deny the similarities, the challenge, or the risk factor. So maybe they would respect wakeboarding. Either way I'm gonna ride both snow and wake cuz to me its the same sport different season.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogartsomeday View Post
why would wakeboarders be asking for snowboarders' respect?.....ive never heard of any wakeboarder doing that.
you must be new here.

please forgive me if that makes me sound like i'm being a jerk. wakeboarders seeking snowboarders' respect does happen here quite a bit.

Last edited by dakid; 09-14-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
is it really Umali lookin for respect of snowboarders? Or a you really a snowboarder lookin for respect from wakeboarders? Let the flame wars begin. Does it really matter mister? Live to ride and ride to live on whatever you choose.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2010, 11:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSarge View Post
is it really Umali lookin for respect of snowboarders? Or a you really a snowboarder lookin for respect from wakeboarders?
nope, neither. i actually find it absolutely ridiculous when wakeboarders and wakeskaters say stuff like, "that's why snowboarders don't give our sport the respect." i don't give a flying eff if snowboarders respect wakeboarding or not.

Quote:
Let the flame wars begin.
flame war for what?

Quote:
Does it really matter mister?
no, it doesn't really matter...mister. but if it irks you that much, may i suggest staying out of this thread?

Quote:
Live to ride and ride to live on whatever you choose.
i couldn't agree more.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-15-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
who f-in cares
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Ditto what Lee said. Both sports are awesome and share some similarities but beyond that who cares?
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-15-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
wakeboarders seeking snowboarders' respect does happen here quite a bit.
Uh, links to this? I haven't seen it anywhere! I see people getting confused with the new Hyperlite binding system, but that's more a case of "this ain't snowboarding" rather than "oh I really want some people up in some cold, steep mountains to give me respect for doing something different on a warm, flat lake".
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
It comes up quite often. Look at any winching or legit trick threads, it's there.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-15-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
From GQ "Take for example Halldor Helgason, Horgmo Torstein,Travis Rice or Shaun White. They kill in on snow but I'm sure they would all struggle doing a big, smooth, grabbed toeside backside 180 into the flats." Hmmm, I would bet they could have that trick down pretty quick. I'm pretty sure Tino Santori was riding pro snowboard events before he began his wake career and definitely influenced his style, which is pretty sick IMO.

As far as the respect card, maybe it's a global feeling, but I don't see that in the Pacific Northwest, I know a lot of pro wakeboarders that ride with pro snowboarders and it's all good.

My 2 cents.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
What is the point of this thread? To start a bunch of bickering?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Both sports take talent but have their own qualities to them. I only wakeboard but if I had the chance I would totally snowboard too. But I live in Texas! LOL

I respect those who work hard and help others along the way. I have alot of wakeboard inspiration from here and up on pro level.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-15-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
It's coming....:.....D

I always struggle with what I love more: the lake, or the mountain. Luckily they both can have me
Attached Images

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Never cared what people think. I go out and ride and always have a guaranteed good time.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-15-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
I like both sports, as a fan and participant. The only ones that might want and perhaps deserve a little more love are the top dogs in wakeboarding that do not enjoy the national coverage and probably the one thing that really matters the $$$s the snowboarding elite get, but for the average Joe like myself, this respect thing is a non issue.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-15-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
I wakeboard in the summer and snowboard in the winter. I love both sports. I have never really experienced any disrespect or lack of respect from one sport to the other.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-15-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
I wish I could snowboard more.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-15-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
joe umali = wakeworld troll....always trying to stir up others or picking apart their opinions but never offering much himself
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-15-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
never? you think i got to where i'm at w/o offering much? n00b

jrod, what's wrong w/ a bit of questioning? you've done it quite a bit yourself, so un-wad your panties.
Old     (PunkrockNJ)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
I wakeboard and snow ski and I am always wondering why other skiers don't immediately recognize me as a wakeboarder when I am in the backcountry because of my good looks.

Bottom line, who cares? Wakeboarding might eventually reach the popularity of snowboarding as snowboarding reached the popularity of snow skiing. However, I don't see too many pro water skiers promoted at the same level as pro snow skiers, motorized watersports are just a smaller market. If someone rags on wakeboarding they probably don't (or don't care to) understand it.

As an aside, most of the decent wakeboarders I know also snowboard at the same level - I am the weird skier exception.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Umali has been here since 2001! Some of you should show some more respect to him before taking shots. He raised a good point and it deserves discussing. This is a discussion board isn't it? And if you haven't noticed wakeboarders wanting the respect of snowboarders, then you just haven't been paying attention. Even when wakeboarders say they want the sport back into X-Games, it shows that we don't get the same respect as snowboarders.

I'm a snowboarder so I can pretend to rip on wakeboarding: Oh, you wakeboarders have it so easy cuz you land on water and water is softer than groomed snow. You wakeboarders can't do methods as sick as snowboarders cuz of your silly handle. You wakeboarders spin too much over rails. You wakeboarders can't even do 1260s (except for one guy but that was over 2 years ago).

I'm sure the criticisms above could be argued for or against either sport. These are just examples of what snowboarders could say against wakeboarding.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
"I wakeboard in the summer and snowboard in the winter. I love both sports. I have never really experienced any disrespect or lack of respect from one sport to the other".

Ditto, so I don't ever see what the issue is between sports or why so many people have an issue with " The System" having snowboarded for so many years.

Been doing both for 17 years.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
I think it all stems from an old interview of some professional snowboarder saying he wanted some new trick but didn't want it looking like a wakeboard trick (ie. lame according to him). Granted this was years ago, right about the time style in wake was really beginning to take off. Then you've got that lady that works for Alliance that always caps on wakeboarding in her blog, never understood that one.

Basically I think it stems from being the little guy in board sports and thus a target. You also have the limitations that are inherent to the sport, such as a rope, boat etc. The explosion of cable, rails, winches etc has helped wake expand. Whether snowboarders respect it or not is up to them. I'd say it's getting better, hell Transworld make Wakeboarding Mag now, that's a step right there.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-15-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
My two favorite recreational activities. Don't see why there would be issues between the two
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-15-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
GQ- The 3rd phase you listed is all Hyperlites doing. They seem to be the only company who is trying to venture into the snowboard world.....btw, didnt they try to make snowboards for a while? I saw an old hyperlite snowboard up at Squaw Valley this last season and that was quite interesting. Idk why hyperlite keeps dabbling in the snowboard scene.

Randy- Ya Tino is a good example and i also agree that he has sick style, I wish he'd show up more in the wake scene. But I rly dont think that all those snowboarders could make a transfer so easily and kill it like the elite wakeboarders. I mean, with spins, ya they could probably start throwing them pretty quickly. But theres a huge gap in riding experience using your momentum to throw tricks and using the kicker to set your momentum, and getting pulled by a boat and using the handle to assist your trick rotation along with not using the wake to really throw any tricks. Hence "wait for the pop". Im with GQ, i think they wouldnt catch on to tricks like mobes, wirly's (spelling?), and those kinds of inverted tricks.

Umali- Ya i have been on here for a while and have seen plenty of posts. I rly dont care how many posts you have on this site and you talk like its some amazing accomplishment. Wow, you have experience typing your opinion all day long on a forum. What a tough deed!...."never? you think i got to where i'm at w/o offering much? n00b."......seriously? Woah! Everyone step aside!! Joe has posted more on this site than anyone!! He MUST have an accredited opinion with a number like his!! Haha. Sry dude but i wouldnt accredit your opinion anymore than a die hard wakeboarder who signed up on this site yesterday. I agree with Mike K hahaha. I wouldnt brag to too many people about your WW addiction. Remember, "The first step towards getting over an addiction is admitting you have one.." Lmao. And now here comes Umali's defensive comments.........
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Umali is a skiboarder! haha. Trick Ski style FTW!

I like the snowboard influence in wakeboarding. I dont snowboard or wakeboard and from an outside perspective the guys with the snowboard style are way more enjoyable to watch. I dont know if other non wakeboarders think the same as me, but if they do than that could maybe get more people interested in the sport if they like what they see.

Big Heavy, Brooke hates wakeboarding and Wakeskatign and needs to get out of our industry. She held back wakeskating from progressing in the media with her Alliance Wakeskate and now even that mess is gone.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I wakeboard and snowboard. I couldn't care less about what the park rat kids in tight pants think about wakeboarding. Both awesome sports. Both totally different. About the biggest thing they share is "-board" in their name.

As for Joe.... Dont let him get you worked up. If you've been on WW long enough, then you've realized by now that he is the resident S%&t disturber. He's actually a really cool guy, but somewhat opinionated. Ha, ha, ha.

My favorite thing to do is take someone that's good at another "EXTREME" sport (LOL) out wakeboarding. Let them get worked once or twice with a 25mph edge digger, then see how much their opinion changes about wakeboarding. Most of them end up with all the respect in the world (and maybe a slight concussion).
Old     (wakeyahoo)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-15-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Why is it that this is so pointed towards Hyperlite, Ronix had a covenant and all the brands have leather looking snowboard inspired boots (leather on water is ridiculous). And lets not even talk about snowboard graphics being knocked off in our industry (too many to count).
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-15-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding has come a long way in the last few years. I just looked on Von Zipper's web site and they now have the wakeboarders/skaters on there that were'nt on there before. It's sad to say, but some companies were (and maybe some are still a little) embarrased to represent wakeboarding. I think the future looks great though and everthing with winching has helped point it in the right direction. I would like to get rid of the word "trick" getting thrown around so much though. I'm not a clown or magician, so I'm not going to do a bunch of tricks for your entertainment! I'll wakeboard and maybe do a move or two because I enjoy it.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Yup, Hyperlite did make snowboards for a while, but that was a long time ago.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
Wakeboarding has come a long way in the last few years. I just looked on Von Zipper's web site and they now have the wakeboarders/skaters on there that were'nt on there before. It's sad to say, but some companies were (and maybe some are still a little) embarrased to represent wakeboarding. I think the future looks great though and everthing with winching has helped point it in the right direction. I would like to get rid of the word "trick" getting thrown around so much though. I'm not a clown or magician, so I'm not going to do a bunch of tricks for your entertainment! I'll wakeboard and maybe do a move or two because I enjoy it.
That was until the saw the Billabong's, O'neill's and others drastically increasing market share and penetration due to dipping into the water+ a different board market. heck, Nike coming into the market shows it's worthwhile
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Big Heavy, Brooke hates wakeboarding and Wakeskatign and needs to get out of our industry. She held back wakeskating from progressing in the media with her Alliance Wakeskate and now even that mess is gone.
Yes, this is obviously true considering wakeboarding and wakeskating is basically her full time job: in a recent survey of all people working in the world, 93.6% hate the field they work in. And it's on Wikipedia as well; can't argue with the Wiki: http://bit.ly/91vw8q
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-15-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
"I guess big brother was thinkin' a little different
And kept little brother at bay, at a distance
But everything that I felt was more bogus
Only made me more focused, only wrote more potent
Only thing I wanna know is why I get looked over
I guess ill understand when I get more older
Big brother saw me at the bottom of the totem
Now I'm at the top and everybody on the scrotum"

When he spits it "wrote" sounds like "rode".
All I'm saying is when we deserve it we'll get it. We ain't there yet. We still go bonkers over ungrabbed tricks. As long as any ungrabbed trick is up for TOTY, we won't get the respect. Not knocking Steel here, as that was unreal, just saying we'll get there.

Last edited by joe_crawley; 09-15-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old     (TelepromptedAnthems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
I would like to get rid of the word "trick" getting thrown around so much though.
Srsly. A trick is something a whore does for money.

Or cocaine.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crawley View Post
"I guess big brother was thinkin' a little different
And kept little brother at bay, at a distance
But everything that I felt was more bogus
Only made me more focused, only wrote more potent
Only thing I wanna know is why I get looked over
I guess ill understand when I get more older
Big brother saw me at the bottom of the totem
Now I'm at the top and everybody on the scrotum"

When he spits it "wrote" sounds like "rode".
All I'm saying is when we deserve it we'll get it. We ain't there yet. We still go bonkers over ungrabbed tricks. As long as any ungrabbed trick is up for TOTY, we won't get the respect. Not knocking Steel here, as that was unreal, just saying we'll get there.
for those that doubted or wondered where Joe was coming from. Obviously ganstar thinks that we need more of something, which we don't have yet, and once we get it, something great will happen....... like snowboarders respect because things are or aren't grabbed.......
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-15-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
is it just me or does anyone else totally not understand this thread?

that being said i love the post about tricks and whores!
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-15-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Snowboarders need to earn our respect... I mean spinning with no handle passes, its easy to spin when you just throw the handle away. J/K...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-15-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
LOL, that's true. I can spin a bunch if I toss the handle.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Frankly, I couldn't care less whether Snowboarders give props or credit to wake riders, I'm certainly not gonna ask for it from them (that's their opinion regardless, and I'd tell them quick about knocking something they haven't tried yet. the same body mechanics are there, but utilized differently and in the case of wakeboarding: more variables to deal with.), or to Skateboarders, or to Surfers. because it really doesn't matter one way or the other to me

Each sport has progressed to where it is now by the inspiration from the previous board sport that've come before and each are further inspired by one another today and they will continue to progress whether the atheletes of each sport want to recognize the others or not. And each have their own standout events with their own standout riders and personalities. Yeah Wakeboarding is still young compared to the other board sports with Surfing being the big brother of them all & therefore gave the most inspiration to the others. But Wakeridng is the fastest growing watersport, and it's gaining more momentum every year . Respect shouldn't be looked for, it's gained through what is done. Looking back over the past 2 seasons for example with the advent of the Redbull Wakelab: basicaly a skate park or terrain park on the water, the appearance of more cable parks every year across the US and Canada, not to mention the ones that're already up and runnin' in Europe and Asia, as well as the Sesitech 2.0 as a portable means of riding.

Winching is on the rise; becoming more and more common, along with pulls from PWC's since Seadoo has a wake specific PWC, and Byerly's Toejam incorporating cable, boat, PWC and maybe even winching in the near future, so there will be more and more doors opening, now Wakesurfing getting it's own championships and sponsorships. So I'd say Wakeboarding, Wakeskating and Wakesurfing are all past the point of getting respect from the other boardsports enthusiasts or atheletes, because it's becoming more common that ever. Cripes Nike is even a sponsor of the sport now

Looking for respect, and certainly begging for it (to me, at least that's what I've got out of this thread) works like a self esteem issue, just ride for the luv of it, not cuz you want someone else's approval of legitimacy. that's why I started riding, because I love being on the water with friends, no different than a day for a go out for a few sets at the beach, or a grind sesh @ the skate park or freestyling around town, or spending a day at the terrain park shreddin' some fresh powder.

no matter what u shred: wake, wave, concrete, or powder. do it cuz ya luv it. Now......LET'S GO RIDE!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-15-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
codi, at what point did i mention post count? and at what point did i equate post count to be "some amazing accomplishment"? and at what point was i bragging about my "addiction"? "srsly", spend less time ripping on me and stick w/ the discussion. you were doing so well with it.

evan, you're just as opinionated as i am. don't deny it!

mitch, i'm absolutely dumbfounded that brooke is still in the wake industry. there are tons of talented people out there that can do her job just as well, if not better than she can.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
nope from day 1 I've said that wakeboarding is its own sport. in fact even tho I love snowboarding, its really loosing my respect. with the focus on parks and the Olympics..etc its turning into what it used to rebel against.

wakeboarding to me, never had that. there was always a barrier to entry. the cost of a boat and gas..etc. and wakeboarding already seems to be getting less popular. it seems to have peaked before it could consume itself.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-15-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
Joe, just curious. Since you aren't talking about post count or your addiction, do tell, where are you?

Last edited by bizzuck; 09-15-2010 at 8:31 PM. Reason: gramma :)
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-15-2010, 9:06 PM Reply   
-Thank you ^^^^^^^^ haha

-Bryan Wynn said it best. What does it matter what other board sport enthusiasts think? I ride cause i love it. When im riding on the water, i dont think to myself, "god, i rly wish some snowboarders could see this ***** and respect this stuff...". Which is why i first commented that i havent heard of any wakeboarders asking for snowboarders respect. Theres difficulties to each sport that are unique, which is why no sport rly takes away from the other. I snowboard all winter long and wakeboard and summer long. When im snowboarding, i dont think about wakeboarding, when im wakeboarding, i dont think about snowboarding. I soak it all up while im able to do it without the worry of other peoples opinions. Theres gonna be haters no matter what. Look at this forum, people including myself will hate on stuff if we disagree with it (i.e. hyperlites new snowboard bindings and boots, thats exactly what they are. Burton put out a binding last year that had a lowback just like hyperlites new bindings.). The way i picture it is if you are rly bothered by snowboarders not crediting wakeboarding, then maybe you should take "if you cant beat em join em" into consideration if your so upset about it. But like i said, i have yet to see a wakeboarder say they wanted a snowboarders respect. I also have yet to hear a snowboarder bash or put down wakeboarding. Honestly the wake community i think is making an issue out of something that is so low key its not even rly on the radar......why are we talking about this again?
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-15-2010, 11:20 PM Reply   
Its there... heres a couple examples

http://www.yobeat.com/2009/04/13/chain-of-command/ fifth paragraph

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662880

Granted, I agree its not a really big deal because its not brought up a lot because a lot of snowboarders respect wakeboarders and a lot of wakeboarders respect snowboarders. I for one could care less about respect when I'm riding, I just want to have fun.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-15-2010, 11:47 PM Reply   
The yobeat link said that wakeboarders have "copycat antics" of snowboarding. So, if anyone is actually upset by snowboarders not respecting wakeboarders, this is proof to show why they may bash on wakeboarder, "copycat antics". And then you can thank hyperlite for those antics haha.

These are two great links though showing examples ^^^^^
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-16-2010, 12:53 AM Reply   
weatherall used to be pro snowboarder...... ask him if it was hard to transfer skills across..... i think it only took him one summer to make the transition.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-16-2010, 6:46 AM Reply   
Can't we all just agree that skiing is for little fat kids and get along...........
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
Wake skiiing is making a comeback.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogartsomeday View Post
The yobeat link said that wakeboarders have "copycat antics" of snowboarding. So, if anyone is actually upset by snowboarders not respecting wakeboarders, this is proof to show why they may bash on wakeboarder, "copycat antics". And then you can thank hyperlite for those antics haha.

These are two great links though showing examples ^^^^^
Who cares? I live in a state that has a ton of snowboarders in it, and every snowboarder I know either loves wakeboarding or wants to get a chance to get out behind my boat to try. This is a dumb thread
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-16-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
IMO, wakeboarding has definitely been made better by learning, and taking influence, from its predecessor sports, such as surfing, snowboarding, and skating. However, the sports are inherently different with different levels of difficulty. I believe skaters cap on snowboarders all the time; snowboarding is newer and easier. Just the way the cookie crumbles. Wakeboarding is the new kid on the block, maybe just reaching its adolescence, and should continue to respect its roots while expanding and growing those aspects of the sport that make it unique. I've been impressed with what I've seen in the last several years, from winch drops, to cable/rail riding, to pretty stylish wake riding, to massive double ups, and lots of other creative stuff.

And, to Big Heavy's point, I believe it was Todd Richards who said that local pro snowboarder Andy Finch looked all out of sorts "like he was wakeboarding" on a pipe hit gone wrong. I think that was a bit of cap, but I believe Finch is also a pretty good wakeboarder too so who knows.

Finally, rather goofy that "wakeboarding" comes up as a misspelled word in my spell check on this site. I think we shouldn't rest until wakeboarding gets the respect and dignity of Webster's to be recognized in the spell check dictionary. LOL.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
From what I have seen, we all disrespect each other WAY more than I have ever been disrespected by a snowboarder, skateboarder, or any other board sport combined. I know this is gonna sound like a line off an after school special, but maybe if we spent more time promoting each other we would get a little further and the sport would grow a little faster. my .02
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-16-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Thanks, Corey, you hit the nail on the head. Most snowboarders could not care less about us, nor could surfers or skaters for that matter. This is all self-generated drama.
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
I'm with Doc. Total Drama Island. Let it go!
Old     (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-16-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
They feel the same, snowboarding is just a lot easier imo. It's all about having fun and nothing else.

my snowboarding vid from a couple years ago 1080 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BhhZ1Ilhi4

wake vid this august - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J6K2uz4AEc

All good times
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-16-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
BAM! this is an age old debate check here http://www.yobeat.com/forum/shoot-th...ng-even-legit/
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-16-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
THANK YOU COREY JAMES! You def said it best!! Seriously, im not being sarcastic. Your comment should pop up everytime people visit this website! No need for me to say anymore, cause i couldnt say it any better than you. Everyone, please read cory james' post
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettofab View Post
BAM! this is an age old debate check here http://www.yobeat.com/forum/shoot-th...ng-even-legit/
why would you direct people to a link of you being a tool?
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       09-17-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
Nice Geoffrey!! can't tell which sport you do better! Ive been snowboarding 15 years and Wake for 4+, love and respect both.......
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
Thanks Codi, yeah I went back and read the thread about the snowboarding, and it looked a lot like the commentators were the ones baggin' on Wakeboarding, wonder how much of the wake comps they actually viewed before makin' those comments. because it only looke like they never really watched much to really make any informed comments on Wakeboarding. To Corey, you're right, there's way too much baggin' on each other here to really warrant whether or not we should care if snowboarders give wake riding any dues or respect and I'm pretty sure it's the same in their loops, baggin' on one another.

Which only goes back to what I said before; none of the boardsports should waste the energy baggin' on nor seek respect from any other board sport because it just looks like an attempt at a grab for legitimacy, when there's too much evidence that proves otherwise. And we should all spend even less time baggin' on one another, cuz it's not worth it, tryin' to one up on another.

Maybe with the Redbull Wakelab there could be room somewhere for Wakeboarding to return to the Summer X-Games, but it shoulda never left in the first place, it was pulled (IMO) because there was too many ADHD addled people on the corporate side of the X-Games pushin' for it to move faster, but this is where the creativity comes from takin' what you see the previous guys in the heat did, and throwin' down your shot in your run.

But it seems like they alienated a good portion of people from it by doing this, not to say that no one in the wake community wouldn't watch other X-Games events, but that's corporate for ya (again my opinion), they get bored with something too easily, and move on to the next hot $**T thing that comes along, just to turn around and drop it later on like it didn't exist.

yeah Chris, I agree, that's pretty refreshin' to hear that there's snowboarders out there that took to it and are stoked by it, and some that are stoked to at least try it out.

Doc, I agree w/you too, it's just drama that no one really needs, and every board sport went through this phase at one point or another. it's comin' and it's comin' big!

shred what U shred no matter what it is.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-19-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzuck View Post
Joe, just curious. Since you aren't talking about post count or your addiction, do tell, where are you?

Joe. We still await your reply. You made it a couple of days hiding out, but now you're back on... I know you see this
Old     (Hyperlite550)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-21-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
i do both. snowboard in the winter to help keep my wakeboard skills sharp. sure its not the same, but its just as much fun! and the fun is what its about!
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-21-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
Umali's bringing up discussion. What's wrong with that? You're all the ones talking about his post count and how long he's been here, not him. as if it matters. which it doesnt. at all. Granted I think this topic is stupid, as I both snowboard and wakeboard and think each sport is its own and is fun in its own way. What fun would they be if they were both exactly the same? and as far as one being better than the other, or being more respected? They're different styles! If someone wants to like snowboarding and think wakeboardings not worthy of respect, vice versa, so be it. That's their opinion.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-22-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
Ben, you're right. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the discussion, having lots of posts or being a long time member. However, Umali said, "you think i got to where i'm at w/o offering much? n00b"

I simply want to know where he's at. He obviously felt it was relevant to a part of the discussion, and if he did, I'd like to know too. If where Joe is at is something that gives him additional insight or credibility, that too is relevant to the discussion.

Joe? Come and play buddy.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-22-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Bizzuck = Troll
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-22-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzuck View Post
Ben, you're right. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the discussion, having lots of posts or being a long time member. However, Umali said, "you think i got to where i'm at w/o offering much? n00b"

I simply want to know where he's at. He obviously felt it was relevant to a part of the discussion, and if he did, I'd like to know too. If where Joe is at is something that gives him additional insight or credibility, that too is relevant to the discussion.

Joe? Come and play buddy.
You call him a troll and then say "come and play buddy." Irony if I've ever seen it. And even if he did say that, its because someone brought it up. And for all you know, he could've been referring to his reputation on here, be it good or bad. Not his "post count". So I'm with you, i too want to hear "where hes at."

Back to the topic, I thought it was a good point, whoever said that at the elite level of both sports, $$ made and national fame are on two completely different levels. I think what's holding back wakeboarding is its expense cost. Snowboarding you can buy a board and have basically the same resources to become pro as anyone else. Wakeboardin, having a $60000 boat gives you a huge advantage, and not many ppl can afford that. Rather small crowd. Unfortunately, you can't really change the fact that these boats cost so much. Until you see wakeboardin at about the same level as snowboarding, you won't see national fame comparable to snowboarding. I think cable riding is a big step toward this though, I'm really curious to see what the cable scene is going to look like in five or ten yrs from now.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
wow, some guys just can't let some things go.

you want to know where i'm at? i'm at a point now where i'd like to think that with my contributions to this site, the last thing i'm ever accused of is being a "troll." that's where i'm at. you don't necessarily have to agree w/ what i say/have said, but just 'cause you don't agree with someone doesn't make that person a troll. if that response doesn't satisfy you, oh well. at some point, (hopefully) you'll get over it.

fact is, there are riders that are begging the wake industry to not make gear like snowboarding gear (i'm not one of 'em), as well as riders begging for snowboarding to respect wakeboarding as a legitimate sport (i'm not one of 'em). either way, i thought it made for a good discussion. if you don't agree, get the hell out of the thread. problem solved.
Old    mojo            09-22-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
andrew adkison never owned a boat and look where he's at. nobody will hand you anything.
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-22-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
i like stuff