Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-09-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this sub box. I'm considering it for an under the dash install on my 99 x star. Seems a little pricey but I like the weatherproofing and the toughness. Whatever goes under there will take a beating from my twin boys. Thanks!!

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/M...eels-MS-R-MS-R
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-09-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
Never saw one like that before but i looks like it should hold up to the moisture just fine. My plan for a sub in my 205 was a sealed MDF box sprayed with bedliner. More cost effective and in my experience holds up great in damp environments. Are you planning on removing your kick panel entirely or just cutting out a hole big enough to fit the box into it?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-09-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
It looks like a nice enclosure. Vented enclosures are not really universal though so you would either need to go with the sub they recommended or spend some time looking for a subwoofer that will work well with the enclosure size, port diameter and length.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-09-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
They do have a modifiable port accessory. That's a little complicated. Or, you could seal the port easy enough if the volume is acceptable.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (txpilot83)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-09-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Look into these guys. I bought 2 enclosures from them, one for my avalanche and one for my boat. No complains what so ever. If you find an enclosure you like just call them and ask them to coat it with polyurethane bed liner. I think he charges 50 extra for the coating. I got the "Solo 10" coated and shipped for less than 100. The specs for the box where very close to what a JL 10w3 calls for so thats what I got for it. I was torn between that and their single Kicker L7 sub and box. Both showed up on my door 2-3 days after I ordering.

http://caraudiofactory.com/-c-22_29.html
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-09-2013, 4:35 PM Reply   
Its hard to tell from the pic in the link, but the port looks like nothing more then a hole with trim ring. it may be a true tuned port tube, but if it isn't, wont be the first ive seen that was just a hole.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-09-2013, 5:16 PM Reply   
Mike,
It's not just a hole, look at the other pics.. It shows a molded square port going above the terminal connector on the back and behind the sub opening... I thought the same thing at first glance

Phillywakeboarder,
I have to agree that you want to go with the recommended sub or a comparable sub... Will it work? Yes... Will you get it perfect with that enclosure? No... But most don't notice and just want some type of bass... Do what ya want bro and let us know what you think...
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-09-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
That is pretty similar to the old Polk sub housings inside the Nautique observers compartments from their factory.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-09-2013, 11:26 PM Reply   
I have had 2 different Nautique sub enclosures. Both were small sealed fiberglass enclosures, nothing like the ported plastic sub box shown in the picture. Has there been another Nautique sub enclosure with vent?
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-10-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
Hey everybody, thanks for all of your responses. I really appreciate it. I removed the kick panel under the dash, removed the heater core behind the kick panel to make some room (the heater hasn't worked in years and the water hose is rerouted straight back into the motor), and now plan to built a new kick panel with a sealed box out of 3/4 inch Extira paneling. I've never used this product, but I think it'll work well.

http://www.extira.com/product-lines/...-product-line/
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-10-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
Looks like that Extira stuff will work, but I would run far away from that plastic enclosure. There's no way you would ever convince me that a sub would sound good in a roto-molded polyethylene enclosure. I bet it sounds like absolute crap.

Particle board is the way to go. Inexpensive, consistent makeup and the classic warm wood sound. Just stop in at your local auto parts store, or Home Depot and pick up a quart/gallon of fiberglass resin. Slap it on the outside and you're sealed from moisture.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-10-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
I hadn't thought about using fiberglass resin for waterproofing. It'd save me some $ - they want 80 bucks for a 4 x 8 sheet of the Extira, and it's kinda a pain to go pick up.