Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4, and am curious to see how many of you tow with your FJ Cruiser, and what boat you tow behind it, and how many miles you have towed for?
I know the rating is 5,000 lbs., and most of the current boats are just under that, but I am taking in to account gas in the boat, gear, and accessories, and wondering what can actually be towed behind this truck safely?
Maybe a 3300 lbs Bu VTX??
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
3300 lb VTX + 1200 lb trailer + 200 lb fuel + people and gear = I think you can see the point. You're going to be over your safe load capacity.
Old     (mwm)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-28-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
I have a 07 FJ and I pull my 2007 Centurion Eclipse with it. I don't pull it a long way except for about twice a year I pull it about 120 miles. That is thru the hills but not mountains and it doesn't have any problems. It will pull with any of the v8's except the chevy 6.0
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Nu bu...
good point, didn't think about the trailer weight.

Macky...
that's awesome news. Do you know the gross weight of the boat and trailer?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-28-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I would say you'll be right on the line...

With that boat and trailer weight + fuel = ~4700lbs

you've got about 800 lbs of gear then.. which seems like a lot.
who tows with people?
I think you'll be on the high end but I wouldn't worry....plus safety ratings always are like 10% or more low for safety reason.

Better question: Why on earth an FJ Cruiser
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-28-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
I don't know about pulling with any of the V8s. It will get the job done, but the v6 won't generate the torque like a v8, and your transmission will have to take up the slack when you get into hills.

I have a Ridgline which is also rated for 5000 pounds. It gets the job done with 250 horsepower, but just barely. I hardly ever tow, so it works out.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
"Better question: Why on earth an FJ Cruiser"

Nick...
I already own the FJ Cruiser and I love it. Coolest vehicle I have owned (I chose to drive it over my sports cars too, I'm weird, I know).
I don't want to get rid of it, and I definitely don't need another truck. I guess I'm trying weigh all of my options and make sure I'm covered before I buy anything else.

J-Rod...
-maybe a tranny cooler if you think its going to pick up the slack in the hills and heat up?

(Message edited by salsajs3030 on October 28, 2008)
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
"plus safety ratings always are like 10% or more low for safety reason. "

I actually don't think that's the case. Tow ratings usually assume you are towing with a weight-distribution hitch.

Obviously, the higher the tow rating the better. In my experience, the sweet spot for towing boats is a load that is about 2/3 of the total towing capacity of the truck.

I had a 2000 V6 4runner that I used to tow my 4000 lb boat and trailer and it actually did pretty well after the supercharger and air-bag suspension was added. But I don't think I was doing the transmission any favors... I got rid of the truck before any tranny problems.

If you're only towing short distances with the occasional 100+ mile hilly trip, shouldn't be a problem...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-28-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Nick just in case you didn't know towing capacities are rated with driver only. I don't know about you but I usually have people with me when I'm towing the boat.
Old     (mwm)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-28-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
My boat weighs 3780 lbs. I used to drag race all the time and have built several motors had a 70 Nova that ran 6.20's in the 1/8th mile on motor only so I know torque is what you have to make. I'm a chevy guy and bought this FJ for my wife and I'm amazed of what this V6 is capable of just leave it in 4th gear and you will be fine.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Well..There's a few mixed feelings going on, but overall it sounds like its going to be OK. Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyone's input!
**If there's anyone else out there that actually tow's their boat with an FJ -can you please post the make and model of the boat and the Gross Weight?**
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-28-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
used to have a V8 4Runner.. was not up to the task of a 3500K on trailer with gear. There is a reason everyone else at the ramp has at least a 1/2 ton pickup for your average wakeboard boat.
Most don't understand how little they can actually tow. The poster above was spot on saying the 5K is only you and your trailer's tongue weight.
Old     (hehateme)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-28-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
V8 - 4 Runner has the same HP and TQ as a full size Tundra (06 - earlier). That should pull it with no problem. I got the same V8 in my Sequoia and I have no problems. The 4.7 DOHC V8 has a 7800lb tow capacity.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-28-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
08 FJ
tow my Mastercraft X9 my guess all in the boat trailer gas, ballast is close to 5000lbs...It does just fine..I wouldn't tow it anywhere far as I have a big diesell. We ended up getting it cause I used my buddies to tow my boat once and I was surprised at how good it was ..very solid stance..strong and sure footed I keep my boat moored so towing any distances isn't an issue..but wouldn't hesitate to tow it around with the FJ..even a longer trip if needed...but for daily tows if you are close to the launch...it's just fine!
I will post some pics if I have a chance
on that note...
I want to get some bars for the front..do you know any good sites to look for them?
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-28-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info SulMaxwell -What kind of bars are you talking about? ...grill/bumper, or rock sliders?
I use www.fjcruiserforums.com for everything -check it, and let me know if you need any help finding what you want.

(Message edited by salsajs3030 on October 28, 2008)
Old    mendo247            10-28-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
Oh yeah it will tow it no problem!

The problem comes when some kid runs out in front of you and you have not a single chance in hell in slowing that setup down. Or when you blow a tire going down the freeway, or someone cuts you off and you have to make a quick lane change. That fj wont stand a chance and will get tossed around like a rag doll.

BE CAREFULLLLLL!!!!!!!
Old     (mwm)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-29-2008, 4:32 AM Reply   
The supra I owned before my Centurion did not have trailer brakes and it was a little tough. But with my Centurion it has trailer brakes and it stops great and the FJ is very sure footed.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-29-2008, 4:58 AM Reply   
I towed close to 15k miles with my '08 V8 4 Runner this year and loved it. Yes we also have an 06 350 and a 08 350, but sometimes it was more convenient than using the big trucks. We towed 3,800-4,200 lb wakeboard boats on steel tandem trailers. In fact I replaced my 06 Z-71 tahoe with the 4 runner and would say it tows just as well.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-29-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
In regards to stopping, the trailer is a Xtreme double axel with the disk breaks on it.
Old    AWS            10-29-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
Here is a customers combo!
Upload
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-29-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
man...if looks could kill! Thanks for sharing.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-29-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
yeah despite that guys comments...I guess his boat trailer doesn't have brakes...I can stop faster with my trailer behind than with out it...regardless as long as you are careful and not driving like an idiot you are fine...it baffles me that people have to prove them selves and their vehicles only when they are towing something...Love the shot above of the FJ and supra/mobious..???
I wanted to get the black rimmed off road edition but the wife didn;t go for it...she licked the chrome rims...I am looking for a clean set of rally bars,,,just to come up and perhaps look like a nice upside down U....nothing major to the thing...we are keeping it stock as it's a company veh...
regardless...great fun!
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-29-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
um yeah...she "LIKED" the chrome rims...that could have been bad! ha ha!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-30-2008, 1:02 AM Reply   
i tow with my tacoma all the time up hills, long distances and have no problems at all! i did add a 3" lift with an add-a-leaf in the back to keep the back up which helps alot! get an add-a-leaf! it looks alot better when u tow!

Upload

there was alot of lead in the bow!

Upload
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-30-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
This is my FJ towing a 23' BU...I know for a fact I was way over 5K lbs (6 people in my truck, boat full of gas and gear), but only towed 15 miles and back...it definitely handled it, but I didn't want to go any further. My concern was driving long distance.
Seeing that XStar makes me feel a lot better..was there any reason you didn't move the lead to the back of the boat to trailer better?
Thanks for the input and ideas (The FJ has coils in the back, but AirLift makes an air bag for it that I've seen work well (same concept as the extra leaf spring I think).

Upload

(Message edited by salsajs3030 on October 30, 2008)

(Message edited by salsajs3030 on October 30, 2008)
Old     (hugo_salcedo)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-30-2008, 6:24 PM Reply   
cool pics!
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-30-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
is that a sunroof???or black roof??
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-30-2008, 11:09 PM Reply   
justin we were just taking it to get gas in disco, we took the lead out later, but beeing such a short drive we left it in!
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-31-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
"is that a sunroof???or black roof??" -SulMaxwell.

No, it was really dark out and for some reason I thought a night shot would be cool. If you look closely I have little black Yakima 'landing pads' sticking out...they are for a custom rack set up I put together for snowboarding (I think the stock racks were ugly)...still a white roof.