Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-01-2006, 4:57 AM Reply   
Does anyone know of any 6 x 9 tower speaker enclosures or do it yourself ideas?
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-01-2006, 5:21 AM Reply   
Chris, I sent you an email.

(Message edited by josnow1 on December 01, 2006)
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
check out http://diytower.com or look at this one specifically for 4 6x9's http://bierbower.net/diytower/pdfs/FiberglassSpeakerBox.pdf
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-01-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
A friend of mine is selling his Liquid Trends 6-6x9 box off of an 05 X-Star. PM me if interested.
Old     (kristin_ware)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-01-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
Here is the one I made.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
Kristin, Nice job!!

If you did it over again would you use 4 speakers? I know those Pioneer 5 ways sound good anyway.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-01-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
I can garuntee you that 2 speakers (unless pro audio) are not enough! I have 4 6x9's and you can hear them but there is NO comparisson pro audio equipment. That said, I like my set up, but when I do it over I will go with wet sounds!!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-02-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
That is a beautifully finished piece of art. However I can't say that I would put that much effort into a single pair of 6x9s.

As for styling it's sometimes difficult to put speakers on top of the tower without it looking like this:
Upload
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
David
You can hear the two of them fine. I think I'am going to build another one for 4-6x9's. I like the pioneers they are very bright sounding. I have about $350.00 invested for every thing except paint. The paint job was free from my brother. I have about 40-50hrs invested. I just worked on it in my spare time. That is my first fiberglass box.

Mikeski
I thought the same thing once they were mounted. They look like ears. I was thinking of having eyeballs air brushed on the front.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-02-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
The Mickey comment is harsh, but true. 6x9's can be awsome speakers, but you probably should look into some higher line 6x9's to get more projection.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-02-2006, 11:46 PM Reply   
Aaron, I don't want to start anything or say you are lying, but I have been behind a boat with only two 6x9's riding at about 65ft and you could sort of hear music, but not make out the words really. If you cut out the sound disappeared. I have 4 audiobahn 6x9's with horn tweeters (not real HLCD horns) but horn shaped to disperse the sound out to the sides. They are each recieving 125 watts RMS. I can hear them real well while directly behind the boat, but if its windy or there is other noise on the water I can't hear them very well when I cut out.

I have never heard NVS or WetSounds, but my friend has a custom horn setup built with two 22" horns haved down to 16 inches for tuning reasons, and two 8" mid bass woofers. To make a long story short, I hadn't been behind his boat in a long time and I was used to hearing my speaker setup. Well I went behind his boat and I couldn't believe I had forgotten how much LOUDER his stereo was. He got out behind the boat after me and said it wasn't sounding as loud as it usually does...it turned out only 1 horn and 1 woofer were working.

I guess botom line is that loudness is all subjective, and when you say you can "hear" the music with your speakers. I wonder what you think if you were to "hear" a pro audio setup. Don't take me wrong, I am not knocking your sytem in any way! I really think the design is cool and unique and it turned out very professional for you just doing it in your spare time. I gave my shot at building a box once and I scrapped that idea really quickly.

BTW- why didn't you want the box mounted under the tower and upside down? It seem that the arch would allow you enough room to walk through without hitting your head.

Also, sorry for the long post, I am studying for finals (well taking a little break) and wired on caffine
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Every one has a different idea of what sounds good. I wish I had the $$$$$ for a pro audio set up. I mounted them on top because of the bimini. I did not want to buy a new one or cut the old one down. I agree with you're bottom line. For me the bottom line is to hear some music and have a lot of fun!!!! Good luck on you're finals Patrick.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-03-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
You could probably put like six or eight 6x9's up there.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-03-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
Is there interest in a DIY Pro-Audio solution?

I think I can come up with something for about the same cost as four 6x9s. Should have something together by mid January.

The goal is a horn, four 8" mid-bass, and an amp for $500 or less.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-07-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
I have a liquid trends 4-6X9 tower box that is listed in the accessories for sale.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Mikeski, I would love to hear a DIY Pro-Audio solution. I am in the market for a new boat and plan to put in pro audio tower speakers. The reality that I will need to spend at least 40k to get the boat I want (and used as well) was tough enough to swallow. It would be awesome to save some $$$ on the audio. I must say that from what I have seen it seems like it would be tough to put in a horn, 4 8" mid-bass and an amp for $500 or less, but I would be all ears to that idea.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-07-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I have speakers in the mail. In a couple weekends I will slap a rectangular test box together and throw the drivers in it. Crossovers will be bolted to the top. I will post the sources and results when in a month or so.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-07-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
Mikeski
Thanks for the email on the pro audio stuff. I will be waiting to see you're pics and test results.
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-08-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Mike-- What drivers and horn combo are you experimenting with? give some detail please

Are you doing the crossovers outside to make changing them quicker?

Why not use a separate amp and that amps electronic crossover just for the horn?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-08-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
In due time... let me get it figured out first.