Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-21-2004, 5:13 AM Reply   
PP wasn't performing as well as I thought it should, alot of wondering and slow adjustments. After inspecting the engine and going through the troubleshooting I noted that there was no return spring on the idle. so i jerry rigged one on there and have to say that it made a huge difference, when I overshot getting someone up, it dropped right down to the setting and held it there PERFECT.

anyways, as i said now it is jerry rigged and would like to see a pic or two of a better way to put a return spring in, as of now it is up and over stuff so it is not very clean.

also should there have been a return spring on there from the factory?
Old    grampawakerider            08-21-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
Gordon, I'll go out and check mine. Mine may not have one either. I'm saying this cuz when I have the PP off and I run around to the other end of the lake at about 3/4 throttle or above, I get a dieseling problem and have to turn the idle screw down. Never looked for a return spring. This prob never came up b4 the PP was installed.
Old    grampawakerider            08-21-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
Have a return spring, doesn't look factory though. Runs from the throttle/pp coupler to a bracket behind the outdrive fluid resevoir. Mine is low now too, damn, just had it serviced 50 hrs ago. Can't find a leak so I'll top it off and watch. They probably didn't bleed the air out of the system when they refilled it. I was also having the same thing you were describing till I trained my drivers to not overshoot the get up pull.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-21-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
Hey mark,
hmmm... My gear fluid gets low sometimes too without reason.

anyways, the PP is much better now just looking to put the spring in a better place... could you get a pic for me?

and on the dieseling mine diesels like a son of a gun unless I either use premium, or turn the idle down to like 450 rpms and then it doesnt always start with the first turn of the key. letting it idle for a few minutes seems to help too!
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-21-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
mark here is a pic of my gauge, I know I have been promisin for a while,
also a few pics of rigging of the return spring

Old    grampawakerider            08-21-2004, 6:37 PM Reply   
Here's a couple pics from basically the same angle. You can see how low my lower unit fluid is too. I couldn't find any Mercruiser lower unit gear oil in town so the boat stays dry this week.

Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-21-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
ughhh...
I would still go as long as the alarm wasnt sounding, and it would if the fluid was too low... mine did last fall... didnt even have 30 hours on it! thanks for the pics!

Old    grampawakerider            08-21-2004, 6:49 PM Reply   
Here's a closer look at the carb hookup.......

Old    grampawakerider            08-21-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
Geez....I'm out takin' pics and you came and went....what about mixing marine grade gear oil to top it off with the mercruiser oil that's in it? The marine grade oil is yellow while the mercruiser oil is blue/green in color. BTW - wife's asking me how many hours are on yours?

(Message edited by grampawakerider on August 21, 2004)
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2004, 7:19 PM Reply   
mine drinks the stuff and it aint cheap. Ive run with the alarm on before (disconnected of course) just as long as the fluid is still in the bottom of the resevoir your fine.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-22-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
hours... hmm i would have to guess, but just since perfect pass was installed over 40, I would have to guess about 120-130... it was brand new A year ago next week.

I would not mix the gear fluid, I think the manual says to use only the mercruiser drive oil.

You could always post a new subject asking the more 'experienced boaters' out there and ask them!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-23-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
heck no i wouldnt mix but you might find something a bit cheaper at a boat store that says it does not void merc warranty??