Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    whitechocolate            08-20-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Just wondering how many of you are running golf cart batterys to run your system. I am thinking of making the switch.

The US 2200 is what I have been told to go with however I was also told to look at the US-250 HC a 6 volt Sweeper Scrubber Battery it has 275 Amp Hrs and weighs 76 lbs I would need to run 2 of them

www.usbattery.com
Old    whitechocolate            08-20-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   

This is the US-250
http://www.usbattery.com/6vltswpr.htm

This is the US 2200

Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-20-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   

Grant - spend , spend, spend, take that extra $$$$ and get your self a new TEAM bro. Whats up "G" did you recieve the "G" ice cube mold yet I sent you????
Old    whitechocolate            08-20-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
SPEND,SPEND,SPEND, Mike if you dint have a Fat house payment and kids you would be there right with me so stop lying to your self.

"G" ice cubes, No Way thats just what I needed, No I didnt, where did you send them, And as far as saving my money for a new TEAM. Like thats going to fix me.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-23-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have used the 2200 batteries as the cabin batteries in my cruiser. They were GREAT! The first set lasted 6 years and the second set had 3 years on them and still going strong. And I used them hard, anchoring out for two or three days, running refrigeration, lights, stereo, etc.

If you really need the amp-hours / deep cycle, you can't beat the golf cart batteries for cost, amp-hours or service life.

Rod
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-25-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
Grant,

I just returned from a run to Costco in Danville. They have 6 Golf cart batteries in thier battery rack that look like they could be the same as the battery in your picture. There were no specs that I could find, they were $49 each.

Mike
Old    whitechocolate            08-26-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
Mike: I just got your E-mail, Thank you for the Info

I did some measuring and it looks like I might not have enough to run the golf car batterys. I was looking to run them in the trunk, My trunk is about 11 inches tall and most of the 6v batterys are over 11 inc tall, so It might seem that im S.O.L mabey a diffrent size battery
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
can you put these on their side, i know you can for dry cells like optimas
Old    whitechocolate            08-26-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
Nope you have to stand them straight up like a car battery
Old    whitechocolate            08-26-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
Nope they have to be stood straight up, Just lke a car battery
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       08-26-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
G-

Have you found any place around that actually carries the cart batteries?

Did you look into Exides golf cart batteries?
http://store.bigtimebattery.com/exe3gocaba.html

they have them for 57 apiece but it'll cost another 100 to ship(i checked) Exide is a larger brand and you may be able to get Kragen to order them for you.

If you look at the specs there is only a slight difference in times betweeen the batteries.

For your trunk, can you modify the floor at all?
Old    whitechocolate            08-26-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
The floor of my trunk is the rear ballast tank. It has a peice of composite coverd carpet that covers the balast tank. If I were to install golf cart batterys back there I would need to make a New peice of wood that would add strength to the balast tank so it could support the weight of 2 79 LBS batterys. Its going to be at least 3/4 of a inch so I need the batterys to be no more than 10 inches tall
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
So you would need two of these batties to complete the 12volts needeed? Do you wire them up parallel what? thanks
nate
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-26-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
Can somebody explain the advantage to using a golf cart battery?
Old    whitechocolate            08-27-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Justin: I have 5 optima blue top batteys in my AIR they each are 55 amp hrs each= 275 amp hrs

2 6v golf cart batterys hooked up together make 12 volts and have as much as my 5 optimas or even more so its about space and weight.

Justin FYI every battery has a amp hr rating right on it that tells you how long that battery will last its a good quick way to tell a batterys strength
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-27-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
So what you're saying is that the golf cart batteries will last a whole lot longer than a regular car battery. Can you charge a golf cart battery with the alternator in your boat just like a regular battery?

Also, not to highjack your thread, but you might be able to answer this question too. How much stuff can I run off one battery before I should look into getting a 2nd battery? Right now I have just the stock radio running off the battery and that's it. I am planning on hooking up an automatic ballast system in the future which will include 3 reversible simer pumps. I will also be running a different stereo in the future which will include on amp to run a pair of tower speakers. Do you think that will be too much for one battery?

Thanks for all the help.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       08-27-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Grant:
I have a picture at home of my old setup. I had (2) J250 golf cart batteries in the back of my 99 Air Nautique. It was a very tight fit but there is something interesting that you might want to check out........
In my boat I did not have the remote shut off valve that the newer boats have now. The one that is mounted under the dash. I only had the valve in the thru hull fitting right in front of the motor and the knobs right next to the driver for port and starboard. If you do not shut off the main valve (right in front of the motor in the hull) the tanks will fill up with air> and raise youre rear trunk. My batteries were a snug fit because they were so tall. Many times I would be going across the lake and the whole trunk would raise up about 3"-4".....when we first noticed it we didnt know what it was....then realized that as soon as we opened the valves for the port starboard tanks next to the drivers seat> All the air the tanks were filled up with came rushing out and the trunk dropped back down. Optimas are a little shorter or you might be able to run some J105 batts?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       08-27-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
Grant-

You might want to look into Trojan batteries, especially this one, it's only 10 7/8" tall. May be able to squeeze it in.

http://www.trojan-battery.com/GolfDC.asp?Product=52

My dad did a lot of research into batteries when he was replacing the RV batteries and a lot of people kept recommending the Trajon batteries over everything else. He ended up getting them and has been really happy with how long they hold a charge.

The US 2200 is $69.96 at this place in Hayward and they just got in a new shipment. The trojan T-125 is $106 at a place in San Francisco.

Old     (d_o_double_g)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
I use golf cart batteries....